M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends, here comes a newbie question. Please help.

I have several firearms in different calibers. They are .308, .223, 7.62X39 and 9mm. I am now looking for laser boresighters. After some research, I found two major types.

The first type is a laser pointer with a set of adaptors that can be inserted into the front end of barrels. It's kind of "universal kit". How's it? My concern with this type of boresighter is, most of M1A and SKS rifles have muzzle devices. Will the adaptors get real tight fit?
The second type is a laser pointer with cartridge contour that can be "chambered". It works with a smallest core module (usually .223) and sleeves(or adaptors) in different calibers. As I searched, there are two major brands, Alpec and Aimshot. The prices of Alpec is almost twice to Aimshot.

Unfortunately, only .308 and .223 are sharing the same core module (.223). The 9mm Luger and 7.62X39 need separate core modules.

Anybody has any experiences? Welcome your input!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi sniper,

I have a laser type bore sighter that installs from the front. Using it on a rifle that is already zeroed, I was way off. I was not sure of whether it was me or the bore sighter...

Since that point (spending $75) I have stuck to my Leupold field bore sighter which attached to the muzzle with a magnet. This has worked well for me and with repeatable results.

Sorry I wasn't any help with your actual question.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3 Posts
laser bore sighters

I have used them. They got me "on the paper" at 50 yds. If you work backwards from a sighted in scope the laser beam ought to be pretty close for windage, but will be off on elevation, especially at 100yds and up. The laser beam will not have to take into account gravity as a scope will have to.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Alpec

All boresighters have their limitations and folks are quick to point out they "put you on the paper" - well, that is not too bad a place to start. Tinkering is what I do best - I have most everything made in this catagory of toys. The traditional Sweany Site-a-line is about the best all around. The best of the new style is the Alpec laser one that you chamber - and then adjust your sights to the red dot that is projected on a surface at a given distance and it is done......however, the Alpec - and simular styles - are expensive. If I can help, PM and I will try to help you out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responses. It ends buying a set of Aimshot products. I bought a .223 core and 308, 7.62X39, 50BMG arbors. It's pretty easy to use. Just chamber it then adjust iron sights or scope. ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looking for a sighter

Interesting this post came up, i was just thinking about this last night. Is there a good laser bore sighter around specifically for the M14/M1A series rifles? I will be getting a M1A soon and need to sight it in, anyone know some good products for sighting in the M1A? Thx.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Alpec, and several others...

Silverguy, Alpec and several others make a device that you place in the chamber and it will put a laser beam straight up the barrel - you will need a flat light colored surface about 100 yards away to aim it. They are fun to play with, however nothing will ever replace the time at the bench sighting the rifle in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.