Lake City ordered to no longer sell surplus

6615 Views 86 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  Old John

Is this real?
  • Sad
Reactions: Nelson54
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Premium Member
8,688 Posts
Believe it or not as I live out here in the liberal California that has been taken by the 'Mexican/hispanics'. I was told a while back by a hispanic bank teller at my bank that the hispanics have woken up and are seeing the light!

I hope it shows up in November!

· Registered
311 Posts
Interesting assertions on contract terms protecting continues sales of “surplus” LC 5.56. I am a retired supervisory Contracting Officer, 42 years Federal Service. The US Government is the sovereign in terms of English Cannon Law, upon which our country’s legal system is based. The Government has the right to change any term of a contract at any time related to performance such as deliveries, use of Government Owned Equipment and Facilities, along with many other terms of the contract. The contractor has the right to be paid for services. Those that believe that a contractor can sue for specific performance to continue to sell excess production capacity commercially may be disappointed. My limited knowledge of the operation of the LCAAP is that the operating contractor could sell ammunition that did not pass QC inspection and produce new ammunition utilizing equipment when facilities and equipment are not being utilized for contract requirements, the contractor is required to reimburse the Government for such use, usually as a contract credit. Selling ammunition that did not pass QC inspection commercially was a big savings to the Government, avoided demilitarization costs.

· Registered
637 Posts
Run the contract out and then refuse to sign a new contract with the government after that. Flood the civilian market with commercial ammunition. Make ammo cheap again!
Something tells me that a) operating Lake City allows Winchester to offload a lot of expenses on the taxpayer and b) why would Winchester want cheaper ammo prices after the contract runs out vs. higher prices now?

No ammo maker wants cheaper prices and unless we have a total economic collapse (distinct possibility!) prices are never reverting to pre-pandemic levels.

· Registered
All of them.
1,411 Posts
Something tells me that a) operating Lake City allows Winchester to offload a lot of expenses on the taxpayer and b) why would Winchester want cheaper ammo prices after the contract runs out vs. higher prices now?

No ammo maker wants cheaper prices and unless we have a total economic collapse (distinct possibility!) prices are never reverting to pre-pandemic levels.
Supply and demand. If they stop selling to the government there will be more on the civilian market, which would probably make the premium less for us commercial buyers. They would still be selling the same amount of ammunition that is produced, we just wouldn’t being paying as much for it if there was an abundance. At least thats my thoughts on it. Or they can be total dorks and charge more…who knows?

· Registered
637 Posts
Supply and demand. If they stop selling to the government there will be more on the civilian market, which would probably make the premium less for us commercial buyers. They would still be selling the same amount of ammunition that is produced, we just wouldn’t being paying as much for it if there was an abundance. At least thats my thoughts on it. Or they can be total dorks and charge more…who knows?
I think you don't understand how 'operating Lake City' works and what that really means in terms of production costs, obligations and customers.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
WEll..if the gov't had stored or hoarded that much ammo to last 200 years under Obambam, then the gov't is not in need to re-fill those orders for replacement so soon. You gotta get rid of the last ones - something. Maybe they willl opt to dump them in the ocean again like they did the M14s coming home from South Korea under Clinton.

S?hould be very good for us - all sorts of surplus if they wanted to use newer ammo. Or..they wil opt to bury all that crap and mark it 'lost'? 😁

Meantime, they want us to believe there will be shortage.. which likely be self-inflicted. AT? any rate, we keep our spares..just as spares. And use up whatever is available loose in the stores for practice.

· Premium Member
5,589 Posts
Believe it or not as I live out here in the liberal California that has been taken by the 'Mexican/hispanics'. I was told a while back by a hispanic bank teller at my bank that the hispanics have woken up and are seeing the light!

I hope it shows up in November!
Boy wouldn’t that be Great.

· Registered
6 Posts
Yes it will be interesting. This administration routinely ignores contractual issues and, in fact, ignores the law whenever it suits them. They know that they can do as they wish until the courts rule in favor of the plaintiff. Pursuing legal recourse in the courts is costly for the plaintiff and many times they decide to just move on rather than invest a large sum of money on legal costs when a positive outcome is not always assured.

This is another case of big government having most of the advantage. Most folks realize that the government has an advantage against private citizens. They also have an advantage against private firms as well.
Winchester has the option I suppose of just ignoring the directive (if it's part of the contract) and let the government take it to court.
I've been basically ignoring this administration's edicts for the past17 months as it is.. I highly recommend it for mental health purposes, if no other reason.

· Eye Master
4,295 Posts
I've never understood the Hispanic vote, and perhaps I should not generalize, but my impression of Hispanics is that they are generally hard-working, fiscally conservative, strong family oriented, and God fearing. To me, it seems like those values should align strongly with the Republican party.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.