M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a ton of this from Paragon back in 1999.
Shot up many many rounds in my 1903A3 and IHC M1 Garand, never a problem.
Have to admit, back then I didn't know much, just loaded and blasted.

Now that I've been here a while . . I'm wondering.
What exactly is this ammo?
I don't know.

What did they do and why?
Why did they break this ammo down and then re pack it all?

Also, when I got this ammo a lot of rounds were AP rounds, which I sold to a guy on AR15.com . . . that sale alone almost paid for all the ammo I bought.

Can anyone tell me what I have here?
I'm wondering if it is corrosive.
I've shot hundreds of rounds in my 03A3 and IHC Garand.

The Head stamps read: L C 43

Some pics . . .
Purple Handwriting Writing implement Font Violet

Font Gas Magenta Electric blue Audio equipment

Wood Sleeve Jewellery Metal Auto part

Bag Beige Khaki Rectangle Denim

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If it's headstamped LC 43, then yes, it's most definitely corrosive. Why did they repack it? Who knows; could be any of a dozen reasons. The only one of your pics that I can make anything out of, is the one of the bandoleer.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
A-P rounds are not cheap. Have a friend that hoards them...in 30-06. Once in a while you see loose AP projectiles. Just be careful - you can shoot them APs out of a rifle but illegal in a pistol.

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,545 Posts
To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi,
Paragon, Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time, a long time.
I bought a Winchester M1 Garand receiver from them in the early 90's when I had my FFL, I paid 45$ for it with a burned out SF barrel screwed on it. It had a little rust pitting below the wood line, you really had to read there news letters closely, it was real paper mailed to you. I still have both of them the barrel is going to be bored out for a .22lr liner for a M1 conversion I am going to do some day. The receiver is a Hybrid M1/BM59 tanker now.

eQ

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi,
Paragon, Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time, a long time.
I bought a Winchester M1 Garand receiver from them in the early 90's when I had my FFL, I paid 45$ for it with a burned out SF barrel screwed on it. It had a little rust pitting below the wood line, you really had to read there news letters closely, it was real paper mailed to you. I still have both of them the barrel is going to be bored out for a .22lr liner for a M1 conversion I am going to do some day. The receiver is a Hybrid M1/BM59 tanker now.

eQ
Paragon, and their 'floor sweepings' ammo sales? I remember them.

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm pretty sure that St Louis ammunition has the headstamp of SL and a single digit year.
I've still got tons of it, the few Bandoleers I pulled out the other day all have head stamps: LC 43
Maybe the ammo was put up for bid to do the repacking?
Did they disassemble the ammo back then and then reload the rounds, or just repackage it?
Maybe St. Louis won the bid or something?
This weekend I'll pull out some more and check those head stamps . . .
Thinking about maybe not using this anymore, not a big fan of using corrosive ammo.
Just curious about this.

I've got way better ammo now, CMP stuff, other Garand ammo more recent.

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
If the ammo still has primer sealant, then it most likely has the original corrosive primers.

Any time the headstamp and the labeling don't match, be suspect.

AP ammunition should have a black tip.

In the case of this ammunition, "repacked" might mean removing it from 8 round en bloc clips and putting it on 5 round strips.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KurtC,
Raining here, day planned is now on back burner.
So, I started poking through my .30-06 stash, so far (and this is just tip of Iceberg) it is Head Stamped both LC 43 and FN 57.
There's a lot of this ammo here, maybe two or three more 50 Cal cans???
Think it is worth my time and effort to sort it out?
Who knows what is here, not me!

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not necessarily. US stopped corrosive primers in 1954. I have no idea about other countries. Someone else will have to advise.
Guess I will sort it out by head stamps, mark cans accordingly.
Maybe just keep the corrosive in case we have a Corrosive .30-06 Ammo shortage too?
thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts