M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had time to sight in my "new to me" M1a, yet. Weather and work has kept me away from the range since I got her. I did take some time tonight to work up a 50 round ladder. Once I get her sighted in I will figure out what she likes and how she likes it. DIEVIL

Brass = LC 77 Match
Primer = CCI 34
Powder = IMR 4895 (39.5 through 41.5)
Projectile = SMK 168

Crimp or No Crimp? That is the question? I'm leaning towards crimp myself.

After looking at these rounds close up I do believe my next purchase will be a Meplat Kit for my Giraud Trimmer.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
reloading help

you are way ahead of me here as I need to do the same. my scope showed up today but no idea when will have the time to mount it? I, some year's back, when the rifle was given to me I reloaded up some of the mil-surp assorted 'junk' brass that was shot out of it and others with my left over 150 grain deer bullets I had on hand and WW748 powder @44grs? assorted speer, sierra, hornandys...

safe to use to zero the scope? thoughts? intend to use 175 smks out of her

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No crimp.
Don't bother with the meplat trimmer.

When you do get to the range let us know how she does.
She's bound to like something.

Happy shooting!

pg
USA2

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are way ahead of me here as I need to do the same. my scope showed up today but no idea when will have the time to mount it? I, some year's back, when the rifle was given to me I reloaded up some of the mil-surp assorted 'junk' brass that was shot out of it and others with my left over 150 grain deer bullets I had on hand and WW748 powder @44grs? assorted speer, sierra, hornandys...

safe to use to zero the scope? thoughts? intend to use 175 smks out of her
Well I have not used 748 myself. Winchesters on line data states that the starting load for 150 gr is 43.9. So you're right there on the bottom end for those pills.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Thanks! it has been so long I was worried about trying them; hate to damage my rifle

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
have used ww748 for years for deer rifles... 46gr with nosler 165 bt and here lately started with 48 gr but dropped to 47 grs with 150 grain nosler accubonds

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another vote for no crimp.

In the past I have crimped some loads for my AR and found them to be less accurate. I don't do it anymore.

I have never crimped 30-06 M-1 or .308 M14 loads and have not had any problems.

I'm new to the M14 but not .308 and I'm interested to see your results.

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
Don't crimp any bullet that doesn't have a cannelure. 168's and 175's have plenty of neck tension as they are.

As mentioned above, 41.5 grains is a standard "light" accuracy load for the 168 SMK. You can safely go up to about 43.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I have an older SuperMatch I think and it seems the gas piston is pretty tight and fitted?
have not played with it much but tried to grease it the other day and could not get the op-rod to come off? gas piston seems tight but moves freely; rifle was given to me some years back and doubt it has a 1000 rounds through her...

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I do think I screwed up and ordered two boxes of smk 175's and 2 lb's of h4895 when I should have ordered 168's?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have an older SuperMatch I think and it seems the gas piston is pretty tight and fitted? have not played with it much but tried to grease it the other day and could not get the op-rod to come off?
I do think I screwed up and ordered two boxes of smk 175's and 2 lb's of h4895 when I should have ordered 168's?
Not sure exactly what you're saying here, but just for the record you should never grease or otherwise lube your piston. Leave it dry. If you lube it, it'll eventually (or even quickly) get gunked up with carbon.

168s will work out to 600 yards. If you want to shoot farther than that, the 175s will be preferable. But you have to be careful about your load, because if you're too hot you can smack your op rod around more than it likes.

Tim

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
thanks Tim. Yes I understand no lube on the gas piston. I was trying to grease the roller on the bolt but could not get the op-rod off...:-(

Doubt it has ever been greased since from the factory... Jeff

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you want to save some time, go straight to 41.5 grains of 4895 with SMK 168 on top. That has been a go-to M14 load as long as there have been M14s. Don't crimp.

Tim
I've seen this mentioned a few times for a 168 SMK as "the load". Since the op bought some 175 SMKs is there a similar generally accepted M14 "load" for those? Preferably with IMR4895.

I load 175/178gr bullets for my boltgun but with powder and charges not fit for the M14. I am sure along with myself the op would be interested in hearing what others use. Of course I would work up to it for safety.

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
Your fine, stick with the 41.5 load but if your worried add .5grn too the load data and your still in the groove with the 175's. Scoot the bullet out too 2.82 coal.
I've seen this mentioned a few times for a 168 SMK as "the load". Since the op bought some 175 SMKs is there a similar generally accepted M14 "load" for those? Preferably with IMR4895.

I load 175/178gr bullets for my boltgun but with powder and charges not fit for the M14. I am sure along with myself the op would be interested in hearing what others use. Of course I would work up to it for safety.
Yea, reread the above post....... be advised thought 42.0 IMR-4064 is the classic known accuracy load with the 175 SMK its "mo betta".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.