M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello evryone,
I just traded for a krinkle finish M1A synthetic stock, and noticed how easy this finish is to chip. I am cuious what would be a good process to remove the finsh without damaging the stock. Any tips will be appreciated.
Thanks
SHADOW

·
Registered
947 Posts
Paint remover.

Don't expect to find an immediately useful stock underneath. It could well be full of body filler in all the dents and scratches. Probably requred refilling and then painting.

This one have the rubber butt pad?

-- Chuck

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck
Yes it HAD the rubber recoil pad, but I imediatly swaped it out to a standard but plate. Why do you ask? So I take it I should just repaint over the krinkle and touch up as it flakes off due to the stocks being beat to crap and back
Thanks for your reply BTW
SHADOW

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I did a stock on a Remington 700VS by scuff sanding it with 60 grit sandpaper and then masked off the buttpad and all the action/barrel recesses (used tape and modeling clay).

Took it to Line-X and they sprayed it with their bedliner coating for only $20, since I did the prep work myself. I then sprayed it with OD Green Aluma Kote from Brownell's.

I have a SOCOM 16 on the way with the krinkle-coat stock and I'm gonna fix it to match the 700 stock.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CMSHOOT
I removed the crinkle from the stock a while back, found a near perfect USGI synthetic underneath, and best of all the rifle lost a little over a pound of weight 8O ! So no more wonder finish for me, just plain ol' Krylon :D I have thought about doing your idea with a company here called Rhino Lining and they wanted 100 bucks, IF I did the prep work, they also wanted 900.00 to do the inside of my ol '79 CJ-5 tub, that I had "under prime". For those prices they can keep it 8)
Could you post a pic of the Remmy stock, I would like to see it. Also could you post weight gain, after you do the SOCOM
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.