M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a stainless kreiger heavy profile barrel for my M1A. It comes with a new op rod guide already installed.

Just wondering if i have to worry about the other parts such as the gas system fitting on the barrel properly and if it will fit in a USGI fiberglass stock ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The gas system will fit fine. I'll go into the USGI fiberglass fine, but I think you will find the rifle extremely front heavy.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Krieger

If the op rod guide has already been installed, check to see if it has also been drilled. If so, your components may not fit exactly like the previous owners.

More specifically, the op rod you use, may not line up exactly with your piston.

Additionally, if the chamber has been cut to final headspace, you may find your receiver doesn't mate up.

I have a chance to buy a stainless kreiger heavy profile barrel for my M1A. It comes with a new op rod guide already installed.

Just wondering if i have to worry about the other parts such as the gas system fitting on the barrel properly and if it will fit in a USGI fiberglass stock ?

Thanks !

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Could this be another situation one of the "long" TRW bolts could solve the head space problem?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
How much more does the heavy profile barrel weigh?
These are from barrels that I have weighed myself on an accurate digital scale:

7790190, USGI standard weight chrome lined, HR 7-62, 1lb 14.9oz

9345206, NM medium weight, 26978 (SAK/Maremont), 5-83, 2lb 12.2oz

I don't have a heavy pattern barrel to weigh,

EDIT AGAIN: Question answered by Ted. GI1

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The heavy barrel weighs 1.5 pounds more than a standard barrel. They are the choice of many competitive shooters. A standard stock will require modification to allow clearance for the op rod guide and just behind the stock ferrule to clear the barrel diameter. If the op rod guide is already installed it may be a used barrel. Check condition carefully before installing. As noted, the guide may not align properly on your rifle and head space may not be adjustable if too long. The hand guard will also require modification to allow clearance at the op rod guide.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are a fountain of knowledge !
I think i am going to pass on the barrel and keep looking for a standard USGI profile barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts