M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on some recommendations read here, just spoke with Jim Owens and ordered one of his scope stands. Can't wait to get it. I was also planning on ordering a Kowa 82SV scope with 20-60 variable eye piece, but after speaking with Jim, wanted to do more research. He gave me plenty to think about concerning eye relief, mirage, etc. I thought I knew what I wanted, but now just can't be sure....

My intended use it to shoot prone out to 300M, 400M and 500M. While it might be a fools errand to try and see .30" holes out to 500M, I would like every advantage possible to at least try.

Knowing the 25x with long eye relief will gather more light, detail mirage better it might be the way to go.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

· Registered
44 Posts
you will be disappointed in thinking a 20-60x will let you see holes at any range except 200. Sometimes at 300 with .223 but after the mirage kicks up the holes go away. I have a Leica I use and even it rarely shows .223 holes at 300. I have seen .308 holes at 800 but it was because atmospherics were perfect, it's only happened one day.

get the 25x/27x long eye relief, the eye relief matters more. There is a reason why Jim Owens recommends what he does, he knows things! he usually has the best price on Kowa's.

· Registered
790 Posts
you will be disappointed in thinking a 20-60x will let you see holes at any range except 200. Sometimes at 300 with .223 but after the mirage kicks up the holes go away
I have the 25 X LER and a friend has the same Kowa with the 20-60. The higher power is useless. The slightest shack or mirage wipes out the usefulness. At the matches I'm shotting all have pit service using markers. 25X is more than enough.

I did get my setup from Jim and I'm more than happy with it and his service.

· Registered
4,021 Posts
I have the 25 X LER and a friend has the same Kowa with the 20-60. The higher power is useless. The slightest shack or mirage wipes out the usefulness. At the matches I'm shotting all have pit service using markers. 25X is more than enough.

I did get my setup from Jim and I'm more than happy with it and his service.

Agree with the above. Too much mirage at the higher powers. Unless you have a very sturdy tripod, even a 5-10mph wind will shake the spotting scope enough to distort the image. If you are not required to use a black(NRA HP) target, try lighter colored/high vis targets. They show bullet impact much better. dozier

· Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
435 Posts
Bought my Kowa TSN-821 with 27x LER eyepiece from Jim Owens about 10 years ago. Absolutely one of the best pieces of shooting equipment I've invested in. Expensive? Yes but, well worth every penny for the competitive shooter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.