M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NRA website and a couple others are now saying those previously denied Garands in Korea are now ok to bring in.
80,000 or a bit over of them iirc.
What does everyone hear?

Reactions: tonyben

· Rest in Peace
21,520 Posts
CMP forum states these are suppose to be imports as the rumor goes. CMP gets its rifle from the US Amry so are not imports. They receive lend/loan rifles.

So what I'm reading from the CMP is this is just rumors.

HH

· Registered
857 Posts
The koreans have 80k rifle we gave them after wwII, they have now been approved to be imported and will go to distributors and not the CMP

· Registered
9,089 Posts
Cool. Some new parts. Most likely rough looking rifles. Anyone fond of Blue SKy imports?Not me. They should be smart and import mark them somewhere hidden from view. Still will degrade collector value.

Hope the influx does not degrade the value of my current stash. Condition will dictate. Rather have the carbines.

· Premium Member
2,776 Posts
About FU*^ING TIME!

Reactions: Gray Mane

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Personally, it isn't going to make any difference to me since I've bought all I plan to and from the CMP. When I think of Korean imports I recall back to the Blue Sky rifles/carbines of before and am not impressed. As far as in general, I think having M1s available, in any matter, is a good thing. Suspect they'll be uppity priced at first - we'll see if the market allows it after seeing what condition they're in.

· Registered
272 Posts
Well, if we did loan them to the Koreans vs "selling" them. I would hope that they would be returned to the US government (CMP) for disposition rather than imported for sale through distributors. I'll believe it when I see it.

· Registered
4,084 Posts
NRA website and a couple others are now saying those previously denied Garands in Korea are now ok to bring in.
80,000 or a bit over of them iirc.
What does everyone hear?
I never thought this would happen while Obama is in office. The only way I can rationalize this happening now, is that the ATF must be running out of modern weapons to arm the cartels and is falling back on to their reserves.

· Banned
1,419 Posts
The Blue Sky and other imported Garands and carbines flooded the shows while nice DCM Garands could be had for <$400 and were popular with beginning shooters because they were readily available. Nearly all I can recall were shot out, sand-blasted, re-parkerized and sometimes pitted. As imports, they were shunned by serious collectors and didn't appear to affect the value of nice domestic guns. I got one of the Korean imports in a trade for very little because the seller really wanted my rifle. Out of curiosity, I gauged it and got a BE something in the neighborhood of the Lincoln tunnel. Surprisingly, it fired and grouped well at 100 Yds. I don't expect great things from this latest batch but as was the case with the last one, there's a market if the price is at all competitive.

· Registered
770 Posts
According to the article in the Korean news, the Koreans will be selling them back to the US for a little over $200 apiece. All of the M1 Carbines are still blocked from import, because of their ability to take one of those evil 15-round "assault magazines."

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
According to the article in the Korean news, the Koreans will be selling them back to the US for a little over $200 apiece. All of the M1 Carbines are still blocked from import, because of their ability to take one of those evil 15-round "assault magazines."
Interesting...

Does that mean a 'Distributor' would buy from the Korean Gov't for $200?
If so, what what be the best guess as to 'Retail' here?
Would there likely be a 'grading system' such as the CMP uses where the Distributor would Price them from Low to HIGH!?

I can see somebody like Mitchell's selling them...'Totally Re-worked By Master Gunsmiths---$2,000!
Syngman Rhee's Personal Garand---$5,000!

Also...IF...If Correct That The Reason That The M1 Garands May Have Been Cleared To Import Is Because The M1 Uses An 'Enbloc', not a Magazine(as stated, the M1 Carbine does, and therefore may not be allowed in....at least per the article)...

What's gonna happen when the Administration/BATFE tumbles to the fact that M1 Garands Can Be And Have Been CONVERTED To A Mag System?
(not to mention the Tanker-ASSAULT WEAPON Conversion! GI5)

GI3

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: Pro_USA1776

· Registered
5,075 Posts
If these ever do make it to the US I seriously doubt you will see them sold at any less than CMP prices.
I bought Korean Import Carbine in the early 1980's at $150.00 now fast forward to 2012 , common sense says they will be 4-5 times as much
That Carbine "looked" real nice ,I'm thinking it was reparked by the Importer just so it would sell. Barrel was toast and patterned like a shotgun

· Registered
5,756 Posts
Personally, I'd prefer to see them come back and be inspected, repaired, etc., and then redistributed, as rifles or parts or both, by CMP. But right now it wouldn't be within CMP's charter. It's something the Congress and the President could easily remedy and give a boost to the positives of the civilian marksmanship program.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Cool. Some new parts. Most likely rough looking rifles. Anyone fond of Blue SKy imports?Not me. They should be smart and import mark them somewhere hidden from view. Still will degrade collector value.

Hope the influx does not degrade the value of my current stash. Condition will dictate. Rather have the carbines.
Per BATFE's present regs they have to be marked ON THE RECEIVER in plain view, not the barrels or elsewhere as in the past.

Doubt they'll have any effect on any Garand of Field Grade or above as the majority will be Rack or Junk. From what's been written of these rifles they're in pretty rough shape. Shot lots and worked on less; not a good indicator of good condition.

· Registered
857 Posts
As stated the current revised ATF rules on import marks they have to be ON THE RECEIVER and in plain sight, which kills collector value, but for a shooter like me that better for price, I like low prices on Enfield and Id love a $400 garand

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.