M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm preparing to buy my first long range scope, which will spend most of its time on my M1A/SA steel mount. I'm an avid shooter, but am very new to shooting .308 beyond 200m. My purpose is gonna be deer & antelope in Eastern Montana, lots of target, some tactical excercise; no competition or pro stuff. My price range is up to $500.

So, wanting to get as much scope as I can for the money and not being too concerned with high-end glass, I'm comparing two models. The Vortex Viper 30mm 6.5-20x50 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...0x-50mm-side-focus-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

and the Konus Pro 6.5-25x44 http://konuspro.com/en/site/product_description/6_5x_25x44mm

I have a Vortex 3T magnifier on my XCR-L and have been impressed with it, so I'm tempted to go with a brand I've experienced. On the other hand, I've read some very good press on Konus from Italy who have a lot of satisfied customers and generally cost less than the Vortex. Since I'm a beginner it's kind of a flip of the coin, but I thought I'd put the question out there and see what y'all have to say about it. Thanks!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
What is long ramge to you?

I no longer like 50mm or large objectives.

A 30 or larger tube is great but get as small of an objective as you can.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a Konuspro m30 and I love the glass. It has worked flawlessly on my .308. My only gripe is the locks on the turrets seem loose but they work fine. Also, for 700 yards and further, I wish I had chosen a different retical. Mine has a single illuminated dot in the middle. Eventually, when I get good loads worked out, I will get a NF or U.S. Optics with the retical I want. This scope has been on 3 different rifles of mine now. It started out on my m1a Juggernaut chassis. It still holds zero and no issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 2 of the Vortex Viper but in 44mm with the v-plex reticle. They both have been perfect for varmint, big game hunting, and ringing steel at 750 yards.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA with mildot reticle off the SWFA Sample List and am happy with it. The Vortex unlimited transferable lifetime warranty is as advertised, I sent a Diamondback scope for repair and Vortex replaced it no charge.

I have read some good things about the Konus scopes but do not have any experience with them. There is a KonusPro M-30 6.5-25x44 for $300 on the SWFA Sample List.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Dont count out the SWFA SS series. I run a fixed 16x mil mil on mine and bust 12" dia steel at 500-600yds with it on a regular basis and it was only $299.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Montana and do a lot of shooting and historically a lot of hunting. With the exception of antelope hunting in Eastern Montana, most of my elk, deer, sheep, and bear harvests have been within a 100 yards. I've never been drawn fore a moose tag but have been within ten feet of them while archery hunting for Elk. During the rut, I've called in a bull elk within four feet of my archery partner who shot the elk at point blank range. I own Leupold MK4's, Trijicon Accupoints, Redfield, Bushnell, and Konus. I've had to send back three top end Konus scopes because they wouldn't adjust. I have experienced good performance with one out of four of their scopes but must say that the company honored the life time warranties. For most hunting in Montana, a 3x9 higher end Leupold, Redfield, Bushnell, Weaver, etc. work fine. It's funny that I continue to practice between 100 and 300 yards but seldom find it necessary to shoot even a 100 yards while hunting. Good luck in your quest to find a suitable scope but look for quality and reliability in clarity and function. DiBoChet out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for all the input, fellas. Here is my composite stock setup. (Still waiting on my Vietnam stock from Fred's, which will be set up differently.) I ended up getting the Konus M30 6.5-25x44. Mounted on a Sadlak and a Sadlak bipod mount. Also building my own cheek weld and once that's in place I'll hit the range & zero this thing - I'll post more about the Konus afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts