M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Where can one purchase a knurling tool, i would like to knurl the machined portion on my barrel where the barrel band sits.Thanks
Why? If you knurl the barrel and increase its diameter you more than likely will not be able to install the gas cylinder. If you want to tighten up your barrel band fit use gas cylinder shims. Knurling the barrel on the gas cylinder bearing surface will also cause gas leakage which can result in cycling problems.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Sounds like good advice to me PA. Sometimes people knurle the area where the OP rod guide goes. Are you talking about a hand knurler or one to use in a lathe? Any industrial supply place carries lathe knurling tools MSC, Grainger, ect. A google search will turn up plenty. Hand knurling tools are so expensive it is not very practical to purchase for just one or two barrels. You can peen a barrel with a punch and hammer, but again, probably not in the area you menioned. This thread probably belongs in the gunsmoith section.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Here's on a little bit less expensive...

I used an ENCO knurling tool http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=263&PMITEM=250-1715. Scroll down the page to see it...it's only about $38.

The only thing you would knurl, if necessary, would be the op rod guide boss on the bbl. There is an excellent thread by Gus in his section on lining up and installing the op rod guide. I also Hysol epoxied mine and it won't come loose for a long time.

HTH

Bruce

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
If you plan to knurl..... maybe leave yourself an unmolested "starter edge" on the barrel's op-rod guide area....(on the muzzle side of the raised boss GI2 do not ask why I mentioned this)

so you can get the guide in place for the final drive to position

don't go all gorilla on the barrel with the tool and end up coke-bottling your bore...

they can generate an enormous amount of concentrated torque

just saying...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.