M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another one done.

Special thanks to Jake2far for letting me hold his knurling tool hostage for way too long. GI2

And again, thanks to Hamstrosity for loaning me a rifle to do this on. And again, thank to Gus, Art and Ted for sharing their knowledge.

Apparently, I am now able to upload videos longer than 15 minutes now.

I knurled the barrel and epoxied the ORG in place.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBaeIzrQWAA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Tony.

·
Super Moderator
11,039 Posts
Sorry Tony, this isn't you fault.

I don't know why but when I click the play button all I get is the person's voice and a white square........... This is new as in the past this wasn't a problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,039 Posts
I know its not FF as I don't have that. Its windows something never a issue before. I think its something on the board as when guys post vids, its a differnt picture on the screen. I will just go too youtube and check them out.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Great video, Tony, I have a rifle that has a very sloppy oprod guide and was thinking about using my stippling punch to raise the guide pad. I am a bit concerned about epoxying the op rod guide. The rifle has some collector value so I'm not sure that I want to do a permanent modification.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video, Tony, I have a rifle that has a very sloppy oprod guide and was thinking about using my stippling punch to raise the guide pad. I am a bit concerned about epoxying the op rod guide. The rifle has some collector value so I'm not sure that I want to do a permanent modification.
Well if you just use epoxy instead of knurling, that might be better for a collector rifle. The epoxy is heat activated and can be broken down with heat and acetone. Red loc-tite will definitely break down with heat. I've done it on screws at work with a heat gun. JB Weld is a little tougher, but can be done.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Great how-to video!

I followed Gus' instructions a couple of years ago using a knurler and Hysol C. I relied more on the tail of the gas piston for alignment but I don't think either way is better than the other.

I do believe the 3/4" pipe trick is a good one though. You can shorten it so it's easier to work with. Part of the key is the working time of the adhesive...make sure whatever you use isn't fast curing and can be easily cleaned up. You are bound to make a bit of a mess. I also wrapped the bbl and when I slipped the guide over the bbl used epoxy, already spread on the tape, to coat the inside of the guide. It was easy to wipe off the tape before tapping the guide over the knurled boss on the bbl.

Here's a link to the one I used: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=250-1715&PMPXNO=949152&PARTPG=INSRHI

This should be in the sticky files. Again thanks! Great job!

Bruce

·
Registered
871 Posts
Another great video, since I got my M1A and started into short service rifle matches , I have amerced myself on the tech side of its mechanics, also the Garand, and at least for me , just reading gets a little confusing on some aspects but to be able to watch it first hand really helps. Thanks again Tony......PS , were could a person get the DVD box set. GI1. Dan

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again Tony......PS , were could a person get the DVD box set. GI1. Dan
I'll be selling these after I re-do my cleaning and disassembly vids in true HD. GI2

Oh, and just a side note; this was the first time I've ever done a knurling job. Up until now, I've just read about it.

I decided to knurl and epoxy because Gus said he does it that way every time. I used the pipe because I've seen Ted post about it in the past, and I used some of Art's knowledge in there too. So in that video was a tid-bit of all three masters that we have on the board.

Again, if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't know squat.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks Tony, that video was great!

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I knurl my barrel for securing the op-rod guide, but do not red loctite it in place until after test firing.

Say...your indexing is off somehow and you need to readjust the indexing. Or your op-rod is rubbing the guide a bit and requires re-positioning. Gonna be a real PIA if she's epoxied on already.

I use red loctite instead of epoxy. Together with the proper knurl the guide is going no where. I apply it along the seems and down the pin hole. It wicks its way into the knurl.

I also use a big, brass punch for install. Brass residue comes off with Hoppes No9 so no marring remains.

Real nice video as usual Tony.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts