M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know Kimber 1911's have a mixed reputation, some people love em and others hate em. Not too mention the whole schwartz safety thing..

But what about Kimber rifles? I went to a gun store today too look for optics....Which to my dismay they didn't have any Trijicons..... But I was looking around at their rifle selection cause I was already there.

I currently hunt with a Ruger M77 in 7mm REM MAG, and My wife has a nice Remington model seven in 7mm-08. So of course i was checking out the new Rugers, and I was looking at some of the REM 700's. I then picked up a nice Kimber.... forgot what model but it looked decent, and had a smooth operation.

I never see much online about Kimber Rifles, are they nice? Do they shoot well? Are they problematic?

Basically if I was to buy another bolt gun someday to hunt deer/elk/bear etc.. with would a Kimber rifle be a good investment? It would be a large caliber .06, or a large MAG not sure what I would go for next.

Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
I only know one guy that bought one a few years ago. It was a 7-08 and looked very nice...but... He went threw about all the different types of ammunition he could find to try and get better than 3" groups off the bench at 100 yards. It just wouldn't shoot so lucky enough he was able to take it back and he got a Remington. Other than that one rifle, I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
They've been all over the map quality wise throughout the last 30 years and several factory moves and changes in control. The good ones were copies of the Winchester Model 70. So if that's the type of new rifle you want I'd say get a Winchester. They're back in business under control of FN-Browning and making good products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Dad had one in 308, probably from the '80's, and was an absolute tack driver and action smooth as silk. Couldn't begin to say what model, but looked very much like a Rem 700, with a gorgeous wood stock. He did use his own handloads to get the accuracy out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,814 Posts
My only experience with Kimber rifles is with their old 22 LR sporters. The one I have shoots really well and has been mechanically sound. Even though I have had great performance from this rifle, if I were looking to a high end 22 I would go Anschutz.
For center fire rifles off the shelf factory rifles I would look at the Sako, and the new Winchesters.
If you are looking for something to build around, their are so many after market parts and accessories for the Rem 700 that may be the way to go.......think about it, who makes an after market part for Kimber?
Rifles are like every choice we make in life, generally they are based on a personal choice or experience..... If you really want a Kimber get a Kimber. If you are looking for a high quality rifle that could be transformed into something else if desired, personally I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I never have or will be a Kimber Fan...
I just never liked them...1911's or rifles..
Im sure other people have had good luck with them...
I have had great luck with the Savage line...
JMHO....

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Kimber rifles are very nice for a user that wants a semi-custom type rifle that's generally a step above your standard factory rifle from Remington, Winchester, etc.

Most have very smooth actions, excellent triggers, glass bedding and above average barrels.

I've owned the Kimber Longmaster Classic in .308 and currently have their Tactical with the A5 McMillan stock and heavy barrel.

The longmaster classic was a superbly accurate hunting rifle. I regret selling it. The .308 tactical I have now is a great rifle that I have done some very extensive accuracy testing with. I have fired multiple and repeated .300" 5 shot groups with it at 100, and several sub 1" groups at 300 yards.

The Kimber rifles are not the kind of rifle you'd want to buy if you were planning on doing a lot of custom work, or having custom work done. They come from the factory with a lot of really nice features and there is not a great deal of aftermarket parts for doing customizing.

However, if you want something that's above average out of the box, it's a good choice, and the price of used Kimbers is relatively stable.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The rifle spoken of in post #4 would have been a Kimber of Oregon rifle. I made it to their final firearms auction and I can state they did make some gorgeous rifles!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Get a savage and replace the stock. They make some of the best stock barrels and have sweet buttery smooth actions. Their stocks are not much to be desired.

Deuces

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
if you want an accurate rifle, i wouldnt look at a kimber. they have for years been all over the map from decent accuracy, to pretty lousy. for the same kind of money, buy a cooper, and be guarantee'd that it wont only look good, but shoot great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rifle spoken of in post #4 would have been a Kimber of Oregon rifle. I made it to their final firearms auction and I can state they did make some gorgeous rifles!
Thanx for the clarification. You are absolutely correct in it being a gorgeous rifle.

·
Premium Member
15,759 Posts
I use a Kimber of Oregon 82G for 22rf benchrest. 1/4" at 50 yds ain't bad.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I only know one guy that bought one a few years ago. It was a 7-08 and looked very nice...but... He went threw about all the different types of ammunition he could find to try and get better than 3" groups off the bench at 100 yards. It just wouldn't shoot so lucky enough he was able to take it back and he got a Remington. Other than that one rifle, I haven't a clue.
Ive read that the 7mm-08's from a couple years ago were notorious for that, I think they even stopped chambering that catridge for awhile.

You here a lot of good, and bad about the kimber's. I still kind of want a montana. One day I will roll the dice when I'm feeling lucky.

If you are going to get a 30-06, I would look for a newer 84L action rather than the 8400. It's slimmer and built for an '06 rather than a Mag.

·
Registered
510 Posts
They've been all over the map quality wise throughout the last 30 years and several factory moves and changes in control. The good ones were copies of the Winchester Model 70. So if that's the type of new rifle you want I'd say get a Winchester. They're back in business under control of FN-Browning and making good products.
That sums it up ^^^^^^^

Some locations were excellent rifles, others, not so much. Same with the pistols.

Wet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts