M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed my choice for an off duty weapon to either a Kahr PM45 or the Kimber CDP Ultra. I have heard that Kimber's quality control has slipped, and my question is "how recently"? If I decided on the Kimber, I was wondering hw many years back I should look to find a model that would be a fairly safe bet on reliabiility versus the new models.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I had one about 8-9 years ago and the quality was good. I only traded it off because I didn't like the design and performance of the cartridge out of the short barrel (just a personal preference).

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I don't know how far back you have to go, but you should browse the Kimber portion of the 1911 Forum:
http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Some guys just love Kimbers, but mine needed major extractor adjustment before it would eat a single magazine of SWC rounds without jamming. Plastic main spring housing. My favorite part of Kimber ownership was being told "you have to fire 500 rounds before it's broken in" and "you're probably limp writing the pistol if it's jamming like that" by their customer service rep. IOW their customer service is the polar opposite of Springfield's.

If you're willing to consider alternative calibers (and I understand why you might not be), H&K's P-2000sk is a fine pistol available in 9mm, .40 or .357 Sig. There are two triggers available - make sure you try both first. I liked the "LEM" much better. It's a bit bigger than the Kahr you mentioned, but a whole 'nother league in terms of quality.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Probably the 1995 to 1998 range imho but you know what they say about opinions. Like KYShooter I don't like the short barreled 1911's for various reasons. I carry and prefer to carry a full size 5" 1911, if your going to carry a 1911 imho you should revisit the size issue. A 4.25" Combat Commander size would be the shortest I would go, I have one and I still prefer the 5" guns.

·
Registered
229 Posts
my kimber ultra tactical II 1 1/2 years old ; no problems . probably 1000 rounds after 2 day training course. grip is every thing; thumbs forward, must put pressure with support palm on grip and support thumb pressing on frame. he filmed it and there was not that much more flip then fullsize 1911 but your forearms get tired at the end of the day.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My Pro CDP II is a little over 6 years old. I found it didn't like my father-in-law's reloads. Using lead bullets, there was a noticeable lip/step from the bullet to the case. That's the only time it's hiccuped on me.

The gun is my daily carry weapon. I bet my life on it.

I shot my friend's Ultra CDP but it was more finicky. I had to make sure my grip was rock solid or it would FTE or FTF. My friend had a lot more problems than I did. He had a failure every 2-4 shots. I took the gun and emptied 4 full magazines at a steady cadence without a single hiccup. Let him shoot agian...failure. I then shot another mag and got a failure. I attributed the failures to, his lack of practice and limp wristing...my hands being fatigued a little from the previous 4 mags. I didn't have another failure after that as I made a conscious effort to get a solid grip.

I have heard the with the improvements to the dual captured recoil springs, a lot of the shortcomings of the short Ultra's have been addressed. Have not shot one of the newest ones though.

I have another bud who is a huge 1911 guy. He shot my Pro CDP and was really wowed by it. It really shoots tight groups. He found a nice used Kimber up in his state. Got it home and was bummed that it shot well but not as well as mine. Asked if I wanted to trade...

NOT!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've had my Ultra CDP II over two years and it's had no problems. I use Wilson mags and it feeds WWB, Golden Saber, UMC and my reloads. I was suprised by it's accuracy with the 3" barrel. It get rotated for carry, depending on weather and clothing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a Compact CDP II that I bought new in Feb/Mar of 2009. I had a few instances in the first 400-500 rounds where the slide would lock open although the mag was not empty. After adjusting my grip to NOT cross my strong thumb over my weak thumb, the stoppages went away. My guess is that my grip was the cause, rather than the gun needing a break-in period. The gun has nearly 2000 rounds through it now with no further problems.

·
Banned
367 Posts
I have a CDP II and had problems with it hanging on the reload after inserting a new magazine. The slide release would hang up. After a few hundred rounds of ACP it smoothed out and has been trouble free ever since.
These are match grade pistols and are made with very tight tolerances. They need to be shot in with at least two hundred rounds before they become reliable. Kimber recommends four hundred rounds to break them in. I cheated and used Cor-Bon ammo for the third box I put through.
I also use Wilson Combat and Mag-Gar 8 round magazines. I like the Mag-Gar for concealed carry because the Wilson's have a rubber bumper on the but that hangs up on my cover up shirt/jacket and makes it obvious I am packing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts