M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my kimber 82g to the range today and had a strange issue with accuracy. Last year, when I shot it often, it was very accurate. Able to hold 10 ring on a 50 yard smallbore target easily. Today it was putting rounds into the 5 ring.

I had put it away late last summer an hadn't shot it since. I didn't clean before putting away, but I usually don't on 22lr.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same ammo. Used irons.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Do you have anyone in your neck of the woods with a borescope? Might help you rule out bore-related issues.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
15,743 Posts
I think I would give the muzzle crown a check out. Are you sure it is the rifle and not the shooter getting a little rusty? I enjoy my 82G and would hate to think it might lose that much in accuracy. I use mine scoped for 50 yd benchrest and it gets the job done.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
229 Posts
Clean from the breach using a bore guide, do not pull the brush back through the muzzle,
About 3-4 pushes with a bore solvent soaked brush followed by wet then dry patches should do it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd try cleaning it.
THAT^^^^

You might also want to check for a carbon ring right at the leade area. This mostly contributes to cold bore fliers, but can degrade accuracy as well.

A Nylon .243 brush and some J-B Bore Brite or Bore Paste will take care of it. Bend a 90* in the brush so it only contacts the chamber and leade, but not the rifling. Solvent may or may not take care of burnt on carbon.

If it's not that or damage to the crown, then ?????? Action screws, stock warpage or ?????

Wet

Edit: There is a Kimber sub-forum over at RimFireCentral.com that I'll bet has a ton of answers to your problem. Might well be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I did a light cleaning and that helped a bit. I ran a boresnake through it a couple times, and wiped off the carbon on the muzzle. From benchrest it was able to hold X-ring on a 50 yard smallbore target. HOWEVER, when I put on my coat and sling to shoot from prone, it threw some weird flyers. Here is the worst example:

4 shots in the 10/X-ring and one shot dropping below even the scoring rings. While I don't claim to be as nearly good a shooter that Bamban and some of the other guys on here are, I don't pull shots THAT badly. Especially since I never called a low pull at all. Subsequent strings also involved some weird flyers, but this was the worst. Ammo was CCI standard velocity and position was prone with jacket and sling.

ETA: Thanks to Bamban for the sling, it works great for this setup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try this take the bolt out and flush it with Ronson Lighter fluid and set aside till dry will clean the gunk out of the bolt and leave just enought lub inside bolt to work corectly

BD1

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check the interior of the bolt/firing pin for crud in there. Light /inconsistent hits can cause major grouping problems.can

Did you have your ammo store where it may have suffered from enviornmental extremes? Hot/cold could possibly render it less than great.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I completely disassembled the bolt to clean. It was actually quite clean already. I also completely cleaned out the bore with Butch's Bore shine. I haven't taken it out to the range yet to test it.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
After doing all that is suggested - to include loosing the action screws and re-tighten them.
Get some different ammo CCI Green Tag, Ely red box, black box RWS-R50 - et cetera - run a few through to warm the bore and go for record. A wild flyer like the one in the picture is most likely ammo related if you did not call a low shot. Generally - mechanical issues do not often result in little hog-eye groups like that and then out in space and then back to the group - they can, but generally issues result in large groups or a walking of the string in given directions - or random.
Looks like in that picture you may have had a position shift. Did the low flyer come in the middle of the string..i.e. shooting in the group - they way low and then back in the group? I still tend to think a shot like that was probably associated with a bad round if you did not call it out. As with the other info - just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've had the best luck by cleaning the chamber, and staying clear of the bore itself.

I finally got down to using nothing but Wolf Match ammo. It's been the most accurate of any that I've tried.

As to flyers, I haven't had any that far off, but I do get them at odd times. In five shot groups, they'll come at shot #4 or shot #3 usually, but no rhyme or reason.

I have mine set up as a BR rifle with a Weaver 36x target scope. I took to shooting 25 yard BR targets @ 50 yards because of the scope's magnification. My group has been just under .1".

If you've completely cleaned the bore, I'd settle down to one brand of ammo, and see if that doesn't stabilize your group sizes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts