M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and stretched the legs of my Kimber 82. This rifle amazes me everytime I shoot it, as long as I do my part
Great day for rimfire, absolutly no wind
Iron sights
Bench
Wolf Match Extra
100 yds
8 rds, 1 in group

If you are thinking about buying one of these from CMP dont wait long. They have sold out of the $600.00 Kimbers and only have the $400.00 Rusty Kimbers left in a very limited number.
They are a great deal. I bought two of the so called Rusty Kimbers and they were both perfect with the exception of a small amount of surface rust on the inside of the bolt.
Guys will spend 3 times the $$$ to get a Rimfire that shoots this well. IMO they are a bargin

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Kimbers, both N.I.B. and "rusty", are all sold out at the CMP. In surplus smallbore rifles, all that's left for mailorder are incomplete rifles sold as barreled receivers, no bolts, stocks, sights, or other parts. The Camp Perry store still has a mixed lot of training .22s in various configurations and conditions, but they are priced individually, and for sale in person at the store only.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple at Perry this year for $400. each at North Store. They we sold out in about 45 minutes on Friday. No rust at all on mine, just some crazy yellow stuff that seems to ooze out of every where . What a great shooting tool.
Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple at Perry this year for $400. each at North Store. They we sold out in about 45 minutes on Friday. No rust at all on mine, just some crazy yellow stuff that seems to ooze out of every where . What a great shooting tool.
Semper Fi
Art
Did you dissasemble the bolt? Thats where the rust hides.
I bought two Rustys and both had rust inside the bolt, nothing real bad. I have seen pictures of bolts having springs so rusted they couldnt be removed without soaking for a few days
Remember the cocking screw is left hand threads

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
absolutely no rust anywhere. I think the yellow is some type of preservative junk. Thanks for the info. Yes I did take down the bolt. I understand that the 82's they brought to Perry were the $600. ones , but the put a price of $400. on them just to get rid of them. I was happy to go along. Only thing I could see that would make them anything but new was the tiny cutter scratch on the left side of the stock. A little filler and new stain job and they look new.
Thanks
Art

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Semper Fi
Art
I just missed getting one there at Perry. I have a couple of the 40x's but I always hesitated on the Kimber for some unknown reason. Wish I hadn't
Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
For a great cleaning tutorial check out rimfirecentral and look under the Kimber sub-forum.

I have almost finished sanding the cut out of mine and I'm almost done getting the rust out of the bolt. Unfortunately I have no place to shoot around here so it will go in the safe with the others I have bought and can't shoot. Perhaps one day I'll get a chance to play with it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
About two years ago, I bought one of the $600 jobs at the North Store. Shortly after I received it, I took it to the range and sighted it in for 50 yards. I used several different brands of ammo, and settled quickly on Wolf Match Ammo.

At age 62, I seemed to have trouble with the iron sights, and focusing on the front globe. I then ordered a 36x Weaver scope with a 1/8 MOA dot.

After I mounted the scope and adjusted the trigger, I managed to get a group, on a windless day, of about .1" center-to-center with Wolf Match. I used 25 yard targets at 50 yards because of the scope magnification.

This rifle is the best buy you can get for $600. Used, they show up for $900, and above, at places like Cabela's. Last year, I went to the North store with a friend who bought two of the "rusties". We determined that "rusty" was used by the CMP to put the Kimbers "on sale". We cleaned out the bores, and the rust turned out to be something akin to cosmoline.

Last weekend I went to the North store with a friend who was interested in a CMP M1. Alas! No "rusties" left.

PS - If you get the chance check, out Cabela's Gun Room. They have a Kimber 82G at the Buda, Texas store - A mere $1999.66, marked down from $2495. (No that's not a typo).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kimb...=0&Ntk=GunLibrary&Ntt=kimber+82&Ntt=kimber+82

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
+1 on the rusty Kimbers. I just wish the razor monkeys had been more careful, as there were some really nice guns I would have wanted except for the scratches.
Mine had a slight cut in the stock, but I took some very fine sandpaper, some 0000 steel wool, and boiled linseed oil. You can hardly tell there was a cut. I'm not overly concerned, since it's a target rifle.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I found one on Gunsamerica today, just placed an order for one. NIB, $600 which is what they went for at CMP. I should have grabbed one of the "rusty ones" but hesitation kills....

Glad I have one coming though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.