M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll have to get one. Apparently, a couple of those hornets have been seen in Washington state. That means a super magnum pistol for the Grizzly bear, and a semi auto, long ranger for the wolves, etc....

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Cartoon is funny but the hornet is not.

From what I heard the killer hornet is detrimental to honey bees.

Honey bees are used to pollinate our crops.

No bees, no pollination, no food.

First a virus, now a killer hornet.

Where did this hornet come from and how did it get here?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Cartoon is funny but the hornet is not.

From what I heard the killer hornet is detrimental to honey bees.

Honey bees are used to pollinate our crops.

No bees, no pollination, no food.

First a virus, now a killer hornet.

Where did this hornet come from and how did it get here?
They're from Asia and got here who knows how. Most likely cargo ship bringing in fruit, produce, etc., from other countries. I did read a message from a entomologist, that they're here, but don't let this turn into a coronavirus reaction. She said the "Murder Hornets" as they are called was named by a newspaper headline and article that was full of sensationalisms. Don't forget, we've had "killer bees" and other assorted insect invasions. As long as you have global trade and movement, you're going to get new species entering this country, and not everything entering illegally is human. Unless attacked at the nest they are like another hornets and they do not go after people, but being 2 inches, people tend to be scared of them. Honey bees can and do protect themselves and nest by swarming the hornet and suffocating the intruder. Will see what happens, but do your own research so we don't wind up with another lockdown. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have been in France for years now to keep them out of hives you have to put queen excluder on the front of a give. Not all need fight and if some survive they will be ok. The hornets want the honey and the larva. If they can't get they can't destroy a give.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
They have been in France for years now to keep them out of hives you have to put queen excluder on the front of a give. Not all need fight and if some survive they will be ok. The hornets want the honey and the larva. If they can't get they can't destroy a give.
Huh?? We are [are we?] slowly losing the art of communicating.....?

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
302 Posts
Ironically, bats eat Giant Asian hornets, it's one of their only predators. Who'd have thought they might save us afterwards...

·
Registered
124 Posts
There's been one confirmed one in WA state, and a hive that was destroyed in Vancouver. I'd hardly call that an invasion. Just more media sensationalism driving people to freak out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They have actually been here for a while. I have seen them flying around here in TN for some time now & killed one a few years back with a bad-mitten racket that I keep handy to swat the wood bees. I have seen a documentary that showed them landing on the entrance board of a honey bee hive & decapitating them as they came out to defend. I think the swarming/overheating defense comes into play if they get inside of the hive.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
They have actually been here for a while. I have seen them flying around here in TN for some time now & killed one a few years back with a bad-mitten racket that I keep handy to swat the wood bees. I have seen a documentary that showed them landing on the entrance board of a honey bee hive & decapitating them as they came out to defend. I think the swarming/overheating defense comes into play if they get inside of the hive.
Only for the Japanese honey bee, which can tolerate a temperature of 122 degrees above what the 115 degrees the "Killer Hornet" can tolerate. European honey bees can't tolerate that much heat so that defense is impossible.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You saw a European Hornet. Large, yellow with red hair. Not as big as an Asian Giant Hornet, but still pretty darned big.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Yeah I don't believe the Giant Hornet has made its way east yet, but probably will in time if they dont quash it here on the Left coast.
https://www.businessinsider.com/dont-have-to-worry-about-us-murder-hornet-invasion-experts-2020-5
Found on Vancouver Island last year in the town my daughter lives in, for the first time in North America. Nanaimo is about 75 miles from me as the hornet flies. They have also been seen just north of me around Blaine in Whatcom County. Aint none in Tennessee.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, it was big enough to give me the creeps, had a stinger about 1/2" long.
If I start seeing them bigger than that I'll be looking for a flame thrower.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts