M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given some KF 92 once fired brass. According to the headstamp links KF is all boxer primed. But in trying to prime one, the primer is nowhere close to starting into the primer pocket even with a little reaming. I have to assume that it is berdan primed.

Any sure knowledge out there?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Got a pic of one? Maybe they were crimped pretty hard. Is there two holes in the bottom of the case or one? I've never heard of any that had one hole and weren't standard boxer primed.

·
Administrator
17,749 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

That's our old friend, the Royal Ordnance manufacturer of KF brass from Indian. I'm not the type to be reloading brass from their, rule number 10 comes into play here folks... DI5

The only KF brass I ever handled was, '93, boxer primed, zero crimp with no primer sealant visible.

The 10 Golden Rules of Ammunition:

1) You can never have too much ammunition on hand. 1k rounds per battle rifle is a good minimum to start with (fubar).
2) Supplies of good surplus run out before you know it, and usually when you're running low on ammunition so buy plenty while its available.
3) When in doubt about how much ammunition you should buy, refer to rule #1.
4) Ammunition is meant to be shot, so shoot often.
5) Because of rule #4, ammunition must be replenished often as well.
6) When replenishing supply of ammunition, refer to rules #1 through #3.
7) You must buy at least twice as much ammunition as you shoot (fubar).
8) Always store ammunition in a cool dry place (TEA). The only time you have to much ammunition on hand is when you have a house fire(Slick).
9) If you don't have room in your house to store ammunition per rule #8, build a bunker or a cellar in your back yard for storing ammunition (TEA).
10) Friends don't let friends buy Indian surplus ammunition (TEA). Or Never buy surplus ammunition from a country where you wouldn't drink the water (midrat).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. I couldn't leave this alone as I got thinking about it. I have not dealt w/ berdan primed cases in the past. Do all berdan cases have two holes in the primer pocket? And do all boxer primed cases have one?

I reamed two primer pockets of the KF cases and was able to seat primers deep and smooth. So they are boxer cases. Should I still avoid using them? Even for SHTF supply?

I've had some cases since last summer from my son. I have thought that they are all berdan cases, but half have two holes and half have one hole.

The one w/ one hole I can't determine the maker. The headstamp is not in the database of the link we have in this forum. It has two stars across from each other w/ a 79 on the top and 7.62x51 on the bottom. The primer is crimped in w/ 3 square punches around the primer pocket and sealed. I thought they were Austrian when he bought them.

The one w/ two holes headstamp has BF on the bottom 79s on the top and right side and a cross in a circle on the left. So it's either Norway or Portugal. Primer is also crimped in but w/ a much smaller punch and does not appear to be sealed.

I will resize and decrimp the one w/ the one hole and see how it takes a boxer primer.

Any comments would be helpful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You got it

OK. I couldn't leave this alone as I got thinking about it. I have not dealt w/ berdan primed cases in the past. Do all berdan cases have two holes in the primer pocket? And do all boxer primed cases have one?
Correct. Boxer primed cases have 1 flash hole. Boxer primers have the "anvil" built in to the primer.
Berdan cases have 2 smaller flash holes. The "anvil" in berdan cases is part of the case head/primer pocket (between the 2 flash holes).

I will resize and decrimp the one w/ the one hole and see how it takes a boxer primer.

Any comments would be helpful.
Be safe and have fun,

Andy

·
Administrator
17,749 Posts
Research, the only good game in town anymore......

Do all berdan cases have two holes in the primer pocket? Yes.
And do all boxer primed cases have one? Yes.

I reamed two primer pockets of the KF cases and was able to seat primers deep and smooth.
So they are boxer cases. Should I still avoid using them? Probably.
Even for SHTF supply? Even more!

The one w/ one hole I can't determine the maker. The headstamp is not in the database of the link we have in this forum. It has two stars across from each other w/ a 79 on the top and 7.62x51 on the bottom. The primer is crimped in w/ 3 square punches around the primer pocket and sealed. I thought they were Austrian when he bought them. Yes.

The one w/ two holes headstamp has BF (Portuguese) on the bottom 79s on the top and right side and a cross in a circle on the left (NATO Cross symbol) . So it's either Norway or Portugal. My money's on the Port.....
Some I have tested before...... DI5

Portuguese, '78, [ BF ], Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant. NATO Cross
Portuguese, '78, [ FNM ], Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant. NATO Cross
Portuguese, '79, [ BF ], Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant. NATO Cross

Austria, '79, [ *79* ], Boxer, three star crimp with light green primer sealant.

Good luck on what you decide to do ClessK.DI5

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got 1k of this ammo(KF 92) a few years ago. Most certainly better than OFV 98. They do have a substantial crimp that is easily worked by the RCBS crimp tool. Have reloaded some of these cases 4 times and shot thru semiautos. Have not weighed them yet as to how consistant they are. My OFV 79 weighs in at 200gr.
If the cases are in good shape, I would not hesitate to reload and shoot them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts