M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice design. Kel-tec has always been an Innovator. I am looking forwards to finding out more about this item. They have great customer service. I was out shooting a small KelTec 9mm pocket pistol a while back. After a mag or two a piece broke off the feed ramp. I was at a hunting camp in Oak Hill fl. I drove to out Rockledge Fl where KelTec was located.
I showed the tech the damage. He took the pistol and disapeared behind an employees only door. About 15 minutes later he appeared and informed me that he replaced the barrel and also polished the feed ramp for me. He told me that he checked the rockwell hardness of the old barrel and discovered that it was too hard, thats why it chipped. That pistol accepted Smith & Wesson 15 round mags also. I eventually sold it when I went to a Glock. I should have kept it.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Ugly...GI6...But Interesting!

TWO Tubes...7 Rounds In Each=14 Shotgun Shells At The Ready !?

THAT Is Indeed Impressive!

The Only Concern I Have Is The 'Ergonomics' And...'Reliablity' of the Lever That Switches From Tube to Tube !?

I Would Like To See A Hard-Nosed Review !?

GI8

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
844 Posts
I really like the idea of having two selectable magazines, slugs in one and buck in the other, buck in one and less lethal in the other, or two mags full of whatever you want. If it feeds those short shells, you can put 9 or 10 rounds in each magazine. The fact that you can put the selector in the middle and cut off the mags so you can pull the round out of the chamber without having to tilt the next round out is a good feature.

I wonder why this is the first one like it since that upside-down, backwards pumping African shotgun, it has a lot of potential.

Anyway, I dig it. I sure hope it comes to California.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Kel Tec Shotgun is said to work with the 2" shells, 8-9 rounds per magazine. At a minimum, 16+1 with 2" shells, now that is home defense.

·
Registered
308 Posts
IAnyway, I dig it. I sure hope it comes to California.
There is no way we would be allowed to have this...Come on...

But I like it to...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks Zero0. First shooter has a little flinch!

·
Registered
47 Posts
i like the idea of a bullpup shotgun. short and easy to point. iirc there was something similar to this produced in SA.

if capacity is your primary concern then a magazine fed shotgun like a saiga is probably the way top go. proven design etc.

something about the selectable magazines worries me, seems like the kind of thing that would be easy to screw up in a high pressure situation.

all that said, if they actually produce them i'll take a hard look. fun toy if nothing else.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard.
First off, it's a pump. Second, you're supposed to keep track of 14 rounds in a tactical gun and manually swap feeding tubes? That seems bad design. It's light weight is going to have some major felt recoil too--though with that many rounds in it, it will actually have a fair amount of weight and be pretty front-heavy.

Interestingly, they don't call it a bullpup (that I saw). As I believe that denotes the action and ammo being behind the trigger.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
They do call it a bullpup - at least indirectly:
http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg

The text says that it's like KelTec's "RFB" which stands for "Rifle Forward-ejecting Bullpup".

While I agree that it would be great if the shotgun automatically switched to the other magazine when your current magazine runs out, being forced to switch to the second magazine beats the hell out of reloading!

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Yah, but that rifle IS a bullpup. It has the action and magazine to the rear. It has cosmetics similar to the design of the rifle. I'm not saying it matters a whole lot. But the conventional wisdom of a bullpup is to shrink the design by taking up "wasted" space of the stock and putting the magazine and action in it, so you only have a little protruding barrel.

I'm not sure how much different this is than a relatively cut-short pump action. Other than the fact it can hold a zillion rounds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As neat as it looks......
I am gonna have to decline on buyin one.

I love bullpups. But after watching both the cops in the video seem to struggle with what seems like a stiff action....I dunno.

I do know that a saiga 12 with a 12" bbl and a 20 round drum is the kitty kats bunghole. Much faster and smoother than the keltec seems to be.

·
Registered
362 Posts
First off, it's a pump. Second, you're supposed to keep track of 14 rounds in a tactical gun and manually swap feeding tubes? That seems bad design. It's light weight is going to have some major felt recoil too--though with that many rounds in it, it will actually have a fair amount of weight and be pretty front-heavy.

Interestingly, they don't call it a bullpup (that I saw). As I believe that denotes the action and ammo being behind the trigger.
It all depends on how you look at it, and what you're looking for in a shotgun.

The switched ammo banks can be a drawback if you wish it was one continuous magazine. If you're looking for a continuous mag of 14 shotgun shells, you should probably be looking at a Saiga 12 anyhow. Detachable 12rd stick mags, and 20rd drums. Semi-auto.

I don't see the Keltec in that light, and I wouldn't be interested if it did auto-switch or alternate, or whatever. I see it as a pump shotgun with 7 rds of buckshot - comparable to most pump guns. Its uniqueness is that the slug-select drill comes down to a flip of a switch if you keep slugs in the alternate tube. If the behavior was selectable, then that would be great too. But if it keeps the costs down, I'm happy with the way it is.

As far as keeping track of the rounds, you can say the same thing about semi's with detachable mags. Yes, you might pull the trigger and get a click instead of a boom if you don't keep track of your rounds, but then you load a fresh mag. Or with the keltec, you flip the switch.

I love my Saiga 12, but I find it has a limitation in the area of ammo selection. There is no way to really load a single round in the S12 easily without dropping the mag. About the best you can do is drop the mag, and load in a new mag of slugs, or a mag of buck with a slug on top, or whatever.

The Keltec certainly has some advantages over traditional pumps.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I come back to this thread every once in a while just because this shotgun is so unique. I did some looking around last night, and the KSG can be had for ~$570, which isn't nearly as high as some thought it would be. If the economy wasn't in the ****ter, I'd get one just to try it out. Here's a couple of videos for your viewing pleasure.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwN8jHSEhCE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W638QRLqUyc[/ame]

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
there is a nutnfancy video of them testing this gun for 4 HOURS. thats video time its a whole day of shooting

anyway they do a trench run shotgun drill.

the problem they find with this shotgun is that you forget about the other tube you fire 7 shots then your like o crap I'm out. then it clicks "oh the switch"

but i think this could be easily trained if you practice a lot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts