M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Buckeroos,

Many of us do not know what we really have on hand.

I have been socking ammo and supplies away since the late 1970’s, when we were called survivalists – not the current touchy feely preppers.

Last June/July we moved our home and business (after thirty-two years) from California to Arizona.

We had stuff in the house, garage and storage buildings mixed in with the store inventory.

Boy was I shocked.

I discovered that we had too much of this and kinda sorta not enough of that.

Two of the kids helped us move, we paid them in cash, ammo and supplies. They cut a fat hog on the deal.

A running inventory of what you have may keep you from winding up in the same situation, and keep you out of hock.

The good/bad news is that I no longer shoot enough to reload. That saved me from having a gazillion primers, bullets and powder.
Having not reloaded in over three decades I found a cache of new in the box bullets, they went to friends.

A few times, when I went shooting I had to buy ammo – only recently discovering that I had loads of it under this or that pile.

The moral of the story is: if you cannot find it – you really don’t have it and if you bark your shins falling over it – you may have too much.

I know, some people will say you can never have too much, I used to subscribe to that.

If I shot as much as I would like to, most of this would be a “non-issue”.

As always,

Keep yer powder dry.

John (formerly Photovoltaics)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You are absolutely correct....a couple months ago I bought a new oprod for a build I am starting and night before last I found two SAK oprods I had wrapped up and stored in the bottom of my spare parts box. I won`t talk about stashed ammo and such....

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
I think I now have more 45 ACP brass and 9mm brass than I'll ever need.

However, when you're young, I subscribe to the "you can never stock too much," but as we advance in years, I can see the change in view to "we should really down-size."

I'm in between.

In this day and age, you can never have to much 22lr, no matter what age you are.

Tony.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Our house came with a small safe room (poured block closet). It is overflowing with guns, ammo, food, water filter, first aide and other survival/tactical items. But now I can't close the door behind me when I step in. So the stuff will be safe but we won't. I think of the movie The Road where the characters find a fallout shelter full of supplies and have a good meal. That will be my house for some strangers.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I just actual started inventory. I've documented the .308 and 9mm so far. It's not like I've got a huge horde or anything, I just take awhile to get anything done :) Part of the inventory list includes where the stuff is (large box label, for example.)

Takes some discipline to actually remember to take it out of inventory.

I'm going to be building inventory with the impending 'Ammo Ban' in California, which if it sticks, is going to greatly increase cost and hassle factor, though I'm thinking it would be also good to actually figure out, realistically, based on actual use (not what I'd like to be using), the rate at which I actually need to replenish, beyond the however many thousands of rounds of a given cartridge of normal stockpile 'just because', due to unforseen need and/or shortages.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Excel workbook tab for each storage area

Our stuff is spread out throughout the house. I mainly count the food, firearms, clothing and TA-50 (web gear). Meds, batteries and ammo not so much and need to be next. I have a separate Excel workbook tab for each storage area (room, shelf, contents) Medium Alice, and H harness fighting rig. Next step will be photos of the butt pack contents.
I was very reluctant to list the firearms all in one place but I have done it. The inventory file is password protected.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I use to keep a running inventory in an Excel file of brass, bullets and powder.

Kinda gave up on that after awhile.

I do still keep files on each firearm, which includes manufacturer, model number, serial number, date of purchase, price paid (if purchased), where I got it, who (mostly aliases) it came from, and current value (update every few years).

Records include parts replaced,when and by whom, what spare parts are on hand and tools specific to that fire arm.

It seems only the firearms are in the household inventory records.

·
Premium Member
16,933 Posts
I know when the time comes my kids are going to wonder what the heck dad needed all this stuff for. There will be plenty for them to enjoy for the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I am young so I suppose my mentality is like you back in the day. My signature no more needed to say.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
A word of caution here, do not keep your inventory listed on your computer as it could be hacked. Store it on a thumb drive that you keep locked up in a secure place(safe in the house or bank safety deposit box). I know pita to keep up dated but you really do not want anyone outside of your immediate family knowing what you have or where you have it, especially the way things are going now. Armed IRS agents, Dept of Ag agents armed, every little town has a SWAT team to serve no-knock entries, and of course there is the friendly neighborhood home invasion. No, No, there's nothing wrong with me! It's just the little green men that are after me! Get them away!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I tell what is some times hard, and that is keeping up on using food stocks in rotation.
It requires an inventory system and dating all cases or cans.
Not just the ordinary everyday canned goods, but from the freeze dried long term storage foods.
We actually make a meal or two a month from long term storage foods, last week it was a Beef Barley type stew and homemade bread.

One thing I don't look forward to is possible power shortages/outages.
It is so easy and taken for granted to toss all the ingredients into the bread machine and forget about it... Presto, fresh baked bread!
Now imagine grinding that storage wheat for flour by hand crank, mixing, kneading, rising, stoking a wood oven, getting the temp about right and baking.
How many people even have an outdoor bread/pizza oven they could fire up?

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,030 Posts
In addition to having an inventory of quantity, it is a good idea to list month/year with it when items were acquired. That way you can rotate out as you get more to use, or if something may pass it's shelf life if it has one.
m14brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been of the same mindset lately too... trying to keep track of the mess I have, and by that, I don't mean on little paper notes taped to the ammo boxes. GI1
I recently tried and have been using this Ammo Inventory Excel spreadsheet with good luck. (linked below)
I just update it as I get new ammo, save it, and print it out occasionally to keep as a hard-copy backup.
I like how it tells me how much I have to go in quantity, and cost, to reach a specified goal.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/745631/ammo_inventory.xlsx

It's pretty easy to modify and add new lines, even if you're a Excel dummy, as I am. Just save a copy first in case you mess it up, then poke around and change it as you wish.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My house is SOOOOOOO full of stuff, if I ever have a yard sale I will need to rent the county fairgrounds!!!
Make sure you have a forum member preview day. All of us here would probably clean you out before the general public.

Reactions: 37489

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think I now have more 45 ACP brass and 9mm brass than I'll ever need.

However, when you're young, I subscribe to the "you can never stock too much," but as we advance in years, I can see the change in view to "we should really down-size."

I'm in between.

In this day and age, you can never have to much 22lr, no matter what age you are.
/QUOTE]

I used to think that about brass as well. I had so much brass I was running out of storage space and would come home from the range with a 5 gallon bucket of brass and pour it out in a shed into a huge pile. Then the ammo shortage hit a couple of years ago and components of all types including brass were in short supply.
I was particularly angered by someone who entered my garage and walked off with a 55 gallon drum of once fired mixed caliber brass. I suspect some contractors my now ex-wife hired to do work around the house, but how can you prove it. Well, you learn from your mistakes. My new place is in the process of having video installed. Pictures are worth a 1000 words when it comes to thieves. Insurance companies always push alarms. I've found as a LEO that 99% of alarms are bogus. What you really need is the video evidence to go after the guys doing bad stuff to you and your stuff....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts