M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely critical to keep everything as clean as possible come SHTF. And most critical of all is keeping your hands clean so as not to contaminate things. So plan on using twice as much soap as normal. My choice is using Dawn dish soap for cleaning my mands as it cuts grease. So I stock large bottles of it.

Body bar soap I just use when taking a shower & sometimes for laundry.

·
Registered
973 Posts
+1 on that. Dawn really is good at cleaning off grease.

I remember the old Dawn from the 80's. The dark blue stuff. Absolutely awesome cleaning.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What would be a dilution ratio? I know I have washed my hands plenty of times with just regular dawn dish soap but Im sure constant washing would dry your skin out

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would be a dilution ratio? I know I have washed my hands plenty of times with just regular dawn dish soap but Im sure constant washing would dry your skin out
If worried about drying out the hands then get a bottle of Vaseline Intensive Care for dry skin.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Reactions: Crasher and GeneCo

·
Registered
847 Posts
We have dairy goats and the DW makes soap with the milk, but that's a luxury,,,,lol.

Several spray bottles of bleach water goes a long way. Also, think not only about ingestion, but keeping scratches and wounds clean, too. Personal discipline is a must. Don't scratch skeeter bites, "X" them with a clean fingernail and then cover them. Keep them clean or it turns into Impetigo.

The most common thing is cross contamination. (Latex) gloves go a long way as well. I like and use those thin mechanic's gloves alot. They're washable and give good protection.

Most folks think of butchering meat, but collecting produce has E-coli, parasites, pesticides, etc, as well. Even today, from the grocery store, a thorough cleaning is necessary.

Check this out:
http://www.naturalnews.com/036947_fresh_produce_pesticides_chemical_residue.html#

Here on the farm, we have a whole separate place for butchering( remember the Killing house on most farms, way back when). Then, in the kitchen, the DW has one cutting board just for raw meat and separate ones for veggies. We have separate knives for all that as well.

Believe it or not, we boil and filter all of our drinking water, every day.

Reactions: Crasher

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me, critical is cleaning everything ASAP after use. Especially wood cutting blocks & wood knife handles.

A bottle of bleach water to spray things down after scrubbing is additional insurance.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Bleach in a spray bottle is excellent, I keep one under the sink now, spray down cutting board ect. After cutting meat.

This is slightly off the subject but pertinent to keeping our self clean, you can't always take long hot showers or baths during a SHTF scenario, an old fashioned wash tub to stand in is perfect, a wash cloth and towel is all you need and a gallon of water if you are creative, a bucket works too, just can't stand in a bucket. 2' cut off the bottom of a plastic 55gal drum makes a great wash tub.

I use to use bag balm on the farm to rub on the cows udders, it's like a medicated Vaseline, it works great for chapped or dry skin, which a person can get when you don't bath regularly.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 5gal solar shower as an emergency backup for keeping me clean.

Ever watch a butcher clean his stuff? He cleans & then disinfects.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A solar shower would be ideal for cleanliness but People should think about and plan for cleaning them selves with very little water. What if you can't shower for the foreseeable future or don't have 5 gals of water to use?

I think water is the biggie, that's all you see people trying to get when TSHTF, coming up with ways to clean with out a lot of water would be good, like bleach or ?

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A solar shower would be ideal for cleanliness but People should think about and plan for cleaning them selves with very little water. What if you can't shower for the foreseeable future or don't have 5 gals of water to use?

I think water is the biggie, that's all you see people trying to get when TSHTF, coming up with ways to clean with out a lot of water would be good, like bleach or ?
Baby wipes

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I hate to be the contrarian here, but evidence shows that if you live your life cleaning and sterilizing everything as if in an operating theatre or as if there's a pandemic on, your body is going to develop strange allergies or auto-immunities as your immune system goes looking for the enemy it knows has to be there but can't find because you've eliminated it- it will start attacking harmless things like pollen or your own body and making you ill that way. Now, in handling things that are actually contaminated with poisons or deadly diseases that is another thing, but those are special cases and not part of normal life.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In part I agreee with you you Sweets. On the other hand, getting sick from contaminated food or preparing it with contaminated utensiles or counter is not what you want to experience.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes for SHTF you need all kinds of detergents.

Lots of dish detergent for eating utensils and hands, soap for yourself, more detergent for clothes.

Making soap is simple but you need fat, lye and water.

Fat can be a vegetable oil or rendered fat from hunting or cooking. Hardwoods ash makes the best lye (potassium hydroxide). Rain or soft water is the other ingredient.

If you are not careful the resulting soap can be very basic (pH) and harsh on the skin, wash off well.

Pretty simple to do, intro Chemist classes do it all the time.

If

·
Registered
973 Posts
I carry a small bottle of dishwashing liquid in the work truck for cleaning.

Changing out burned-out AC compressors is nasty work. The freon disintegrates into an acid, and - mixed with system oil - turns into a corrosive sticky mess that can burn one's hands pretty bad. So I use the grease-cutting stuff to quickly and effectively get that greasy acidic residue off my hands. Then wash with a thin baking soda paste to neutralize any left-over acid. (Good for tools and inside unit cleaning as well).

Still have all my fingers, and I don't have a drying skin problem.
It pays to know chemistry in today's world!

·
Registered
847 Posts
IMO, the most likely thing is that there won't be any medicine and so the slightest infection could be fatal. Back in our history, the flu killed more people than anything else. Folks died of pneumonia and staph infections.

Our immune systems are complete by the time we're adults. The vaccination process completes it. But new strains are mutating all the time. More likely is to become infected by something that attacks the immune system, or an infection becomes MRSA or a flesh eating bacteria.

One would have to live in a sterile bubble for a few years to have a compromised immune system.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im glad you brought that up Sweets and HH....germophobes are some of the sickest people that I know...gotta balance cleanliness with improving your bodies natural defenses against germs and bacteria.

Reactions: Dire88

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'll agree with you to an extent Eddard but there are germs out there that your body just can't fight off on its own and keeping everything clean will help keep you alive. You've even got germs that live in your body naturally BUT if they happen to get from where they normally live into other parts of you.....you've got trouble that only medicine will cure. (I like to let my three year old grandson play in the dirt like we used to do in the "old days" but he gets a good wash and an explanation when we get inside.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts