M14 Forum banner

Ka Bar Question Real ?

1769 35
Hello, I purchased this knife in 2001 by the looks of the catalog that was in the box. I never used it and now I am wondering whether it is a real K bar or actually what the quality of it is good or bad? I’m hoping that it is a good one and worth keeping. thanks in advance I hope you guys can enlighten me about this knife. I hope my pictures come through.
Wood Font Bicycle part Tints and shades Auto part

Eyewear Sleeve Bag Wood Luggage and bags

Eyewear Sleeve Bag Wood Luggage and bags

Wood Font Bicycle part Tints and shades Auto part

Wood Pen Knife Font Blade
Shipping box Rectangle Package delivery Packaging and labeling Font
Wood Pen Knife Font Blade
Reactions: JeffG
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
You have to understand that Ka-Bar knives have been around for over 100 years and that there are many versions. Yours is the official model 1217 Ka-Bar knife.

Reactions: WaM14gunner

·
Registered
659 Posts
I thought originally, the term "K-Bar" for WWII knives was a generic term for the standard issue fighting knife, some of these may have been manufacture by the K-Bar company? - This correct?

I had the same question as above, if I want to USMC K-Bar issue knife, what should I look for so as not to get Chinesum?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I thought originally, the term "K-Bar" for WWII knives was a generic term for the standard issue fighting knife, some of these may have been manufacture by the K-Bar company? - This correct?

I had the same question as above, if I want to USMC K-Bar issue knife, what should I look for so as not to get Chinesum?
KA-BAR Knives, Inc (kabar.com)

"Kill A Bear", it's in the video.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Same thing form the same drawings from the same company. Doesn't get much more real than that, unless you get one from a WWII Marine that had it on Guam, Iwo, Saipan, Pelileu, etc.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Here's what one looks like when it gets a few "miles" on it.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Wood Natural material Quill Blade Fashion accessory

You may notice that the finish is a bit worn and the handle isn't very "pristine" anymore. Also, the very tip of the blade is broken off, more on that in a minute. I bought this particular one in 1990 at a gun show in the town I was going to college in. One of my roommates at the time was in the Marine Corps reserves and he and I were wandering the tables. He said you oughta pick that up, I already have one. He then proceeded to tell me about it and I couldn't pay the $35.99 the guy wanted for it fast enough, (I still have the org. box with the tag on it) even though $36 for a broke college kid at that time was a fortune.

At that time the roommates were into doing shots of Tequilla and we all decided the KA-BAR would be the PERFECT implement to slice up the limes for the shots. So after we sliced up the lime(s), the "BAR", as it became to be known, would be stuck into the old wooden coffee table until the next time it was needed. At one point, someone, or somehow, that very tip that I mentioned before broke off and well...

Kinda pissed me off at the time, but now it just reminds me of all the good times we had, and the headaches the next morning. I really believe that all that lime juice contributed to knocking the finish off the blade and the handle and everywhere else it was touched by lime juiced hands (we drank a LOT of Tequilla). Good times, EVERYONE needs a KA-BAR!

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I actually have a Kbar knock of that is of very high quality that I picked up during the Viet Nam war. It is made in Japan and is of very high quality but was also heavily used.

Reactions: Nunorox

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Right, but are these really what was/is issued, or just marketing??
These are the commercial version of the Mk 2 knife. The WWII versions came with leather and fiberglass sheaths. I believe the fiberglass sheaths were late war. The handle was sort of a dark brown. The later military versions had black handles and had black leather sheaths. While both military versions were very durable, the WWII versions seemed to be more finished.

·
Registered
659 Posts
These are the commercial version of the Mk 2 knife. The WWII versions came with leather and fiberglass sheaths. I believe the fiberglass sheaths were late war. The handle was sort of a dark brown. The later military versions had black handles and had black leather sheaths. While both military versions were very durable, the WWII versions seemed to be more finished.
Thanks, that fits my memory in the KBar is the generic term for the knife that was issued, which was the MK2

1 - 20 of 36 Posts