M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
JY re-barreled one of my M1As and in the process he end up doing much more than just re-barrel. Here are the things he did or changed from I remember in our phone conversation: Skim bed, new gas system unitized JY Wolfe way, re-did the front lug screw, replaced the flash suppressor, re-did the stock ferule for perfect match to the front band, machined a new op rod guide, Melonited the metal parts, barrel and all, tune the system with different gas piston, and to my request JD cut down the overall length to the minimum length as defined by the CMP rule book.

The rifle came the day before I went to see the grandkids 3 weeks ago. I did managed to sneak a couple of rounds right before I left just to suit my curiosity. It showed some great potential, but the range session was so brief I saved the rest of shooting till I got back.

Yesterday I took the rifle out to our 200 yard range and shot it from the bench with irons. On the range with me was a forum member, Roundrockcrawler. I managed to take a few pictures and shoot the rifle with one of my standard short range accuracy loads, the load shoots just about in any rifle I have, but I do not shoot it in the match because I do not like the recoil of the 168 SMK in matches at the short line, I would rather shoot anything from 110 to 155. The load is standard LC case, unsorted, primer pocket uniformed, resized and trimmed to 2.00, 168 SMK at 2.80 COL, 42 grains of Surplus Reloader 15, loaded on my Dillon 550.

The group tells the whole story how the rifle shoots. The cold bore shot was an eight at 6 o'clock, made the correction the 2nd shot landed a nine at 6 o'clock. I thought I made full value correction I was expecting the round to land close to the X ring, then I remember this rifle has the half minute disc, so for the 3rd and 1st shot for record I made the correction and the round landed in one of the clover leaf at 4 o'clock inside the X ring. I proceeded to shoot 19 more rounds to see how the rifle would group. I lost those 5 shots outside the group and all on call. As you can see the 15 shots are easily a minute, the SR target X ring is 3 inches. The rifle shoots, with optics the group could potentially be better

And to show you the difference between the cut down stock and a full size McMillan, this picture will show it. Pay attention to the rear sling swivel as a reference, you can see length difference between the two stocks. The shorter LOP is just perfect for a short guy like with short arms.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i am glad you voted Bamban! did you pin the ballot up at 25 yards and mark your votes with .308 cal. holes?

Actually, I would rather do it like how we do it in the Philippines, stay inside the polling booth with your weapon and dictate to the voters whom to vote for. If enough of us will go to Travis County manage the election Filipino style maybe we have a chance for a GOP presidential candidate to win in that liberal county. I live and vote in Williamson County.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
i thought Manny Pacquiao just stood at the polls with brass knuckles!

i have 2 rifles from Jon, one looks alot like yours, i love it. i think i need to learn to take good pictures and show them off. my rifle pics in the "show off your reloading rooms" thread turned out good though.

does the stock fit you well? or what are your thoughts on the cut stock?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"all day"?
After I stamp my barrel, the sight cover, and the handguard clip "NM" then it will do it all day long.

For long range I tried some 2000 MR with the 168 Hybrids, did not get good results, it look good initially with a quick ladder, then I could not sustain the precision. Maybe go back to the N540 load like the ammo I sent to JY to test the rifle with.

Need to go back and test the 2000MR and 168 Hybrid with a scope and bribe my buddy to be my trigger puller, so I wont be hurting after the session like I did yesterday.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Send it to me for a couple of weeks.
I'll wring it out for you. ;-)
You got it, if you do the long range load development for me and shoot it at the 1000 yard match. You and I need to make sure the black gun shooters don't win the mid range championship. We'll use our 1000 yard load at 600.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nez,what are you doing using a 5R barrel. You need to spin that thing off and use an even number like a 4 or 6 groove. I know a guy out California way that be happy to take that tomato stake off your hands. He will even cover shipping cost. You need to get that lathe up and running. Next you need to hook up with the Comet to show some secrets.

Pfc out

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nez,what are you doing using a 5R barrel. You need to spin that thing off and use an even number like a 4 or 6 groove. I know a guy out California way that be happy to take that tomato stake off your hands. He will even cover shipping cost. You need to get that lathe up and running. Next you need to hook up with the Comet to show some secrets.

Pfc out
I got another 5R from Obermeyer sitting in Virginia, maybe I will use it in my Rear Lugged Rock Ola.

The lathe and the Bridgeport mill will be delivered on the 28th of this month. I've been on daily email with AKajun, Memphis Machinist for advice and the Comet has sent his as well. I will invite the gentlemen for a trip to Austin so I can learn further.

I need to sell a couple of rifles to replenish my personal mad money account, the one the wife does not know about... those dang Sterratt, Brown and Sharpe, and Mitutoyo gadgets are costing me some real money...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Might have to use a ball mil to cut for the NM hand guard clip.

good to know on the 168H + MR…how fast you moving them?

I went to the range to test the rifle with the short line ammo and took my portable benchrest set up to load in the stat house, but I forgot to bring the chrono. Next session I will. I am targeting for 2800, that was the load I shot in my long range gun using 4320 and the 168 Hybrid and 2770 with N540 in another rifle. The 2000 MR based on my AR experience launching the 75 VLD at 3000 FPS and with the 185 Juggernauts at 2650 in my M1a set up for long range, all with no pressure signs, I think I will hit 2800+ easily with precision with the 168 H.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would rather not state the charges here, I am sure different builds would mean different charges. Give the man a shout, he is real nice to deal with.
+1. I've been a pain in his side by changing my mind multiple times and he's always pleasant and patient.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jon...

Is a class act...country style. He is most pleasant in person and knows a lot !
He also is/was a "shooter". His shop is in the woods and the mountains of N.C. (Asheville) are real close...a good place to be or visit. No experience with any of the other Forum Member Gunsmiths/builders, but he is the real deal. DI2

1 - 20 of 26 Posts