M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been patiently (ok, maybe not so patiently) considering buying an LRB. Standing with my toes right over the edge of the purchase, actually.

Waiting and watching to see how they work out, and hold up. As I have said before, I am conservative when it comes to new mechanical things. Still, I am excited to get one.

So, doing my homework on them, I have been checking out JVP, and while it is just an observation, it appears they do not show equipment for, or list as a service, forging operations.

http://www.jvprecision.net/equipment.htm

http://www.jvprecision.net/capabilities.htm

http://www.jvprecision.net/facility.htm

http://www.jvprecision.net/sample_parts.htm

They are obviously a serious CNC machine shop, and have firearms experience, note the M16 bolt, not that it really matters, remember TRW never built a gun before the M14.

So now I'm curious about the outfit who must be sending them the forgings.

This is fun homework for me (sorry if you guys have seen this all before.)

If anyone knows any other technical info they can supply, possibly through LRB (since I have not been in direct contact with them yet) please let me know. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
I heard some folks discussing this in Tulsa and that they were getting forgings from the same supplier that MKS used.
YMMV

·
Banned
611 Posts
It's not uncommon at all for a machine shop to use seperate contractors for forgings, painting or powder coating, heat treating and such things. The last major one I worked at I was making transmission parts for mack trucks and caterpillar equipment and all of our forgings and heat treatment was done by a company in another state. Then we shipped out the finnished product to yet another state. We, as the company doing the actual machining had the final say about quality control and it was very strict being for two of the largest heavy equipment companies in the world. I mean very strict! Cat would deny shipment or payment on a whole truckload of parts if they found one messed up part in the batch. We knew that and took steps to ensure it wouldn't happen. The time and labor involved in such high standards for qc are the main reason for such high prices on their parts. Much like LRB I assume. You get what you pay for! I sincerely hope LRB has such high standards but we will only know in time after a lot of them are on the streets and word of mouth catches up. Much like we all know about the quality control demonstrated by Springfield armory. Enough said about that?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
PapaFoxtrot, let not your heart be troubled. I spoke with Lou at LRB Arms earlier this month. He told that their recievers are forged at one company in Connecticut (starting with serial number 001200) and then machined at J V Precision in Connecticut. So, there's two different Connecticut companies involved in making the receivers. They are using the Rock Island Arsenal blueprints.

Here is some further information on the M14SA from LRB Arms at my website. From http://m14.freeservers.com/about.html

LRB Arms - In 2003, LRB Arms began selling semi-automatic M14SA receivers. All LRB Arms receivers are machined at a shop in Connecticut, USA using U. S. government Rock Island Arsenal blueprints. To understand the receiver numbering sequence the following background is given.

In 2002, Mike Kelly Specialties (West Grafton, WV) was marketing the sale of newly manufactured semi-automatic receivers. According to the company's web site at the time, the receivers were forged in Taiwan and machined in the United States. LRB was the distributor for these MKS newly manufactured M-14 receivers. These raw MKS receiver forgings were in a Seymour, CT machine shop. The machine shop was doing work for Mike Kelly Specialties aka MKS. These receiver forgings were in lots of various stages of the machining process. Then one day, the then BATF made a visit and seized a number of the receivers. The semi-finished MKS receivers that were seized had features such as a lug on the rear right bottom side, an operating rod center notch and a groove on the forward bottom side of the operating rod rail. So, after the BATF left the building the machine shop was left with some of the MKS forgings in various stages of machining. What receivers were left had none of the select fire features mentioned above. Some had a little machining done and some quite a bit. In 2003, LRB Arms is able to have the machining finished on the former MKS forgings and sell the receivers marked as LRB Arms M14SA. Based on how many receivers were in each stage of the machining process they were divided into groups for numbering, i.e., ten in one group, five in the second group, forty in another lot, and thirty in another.

The first ten LRB Arms sold had the least amount of machining needed for completion. These are marked as X00101 through X00110. The next five M14SA receivers are marked as 00101 to 00105. These needed a little more machining to complete than the first ten. The third group of M14SA receivers starts at 01001. These required more machining than the first two sets. The fourth group of M14SA receivers starts at 01100. These required even more machining than the first three sets. The fifth group of M14SA receivers starts at 01200. These receivers are forgings made after the machine shop had used up all the forgings previously made for MKS. Receivers starting with serial number 01200 are forged at a forging house in Connecticut, USA.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know.

But I was at a show talking to the owner of CMT, another Connecticut high-tech shop, who makes the nice, tightly fitted RRA uppers and lowers. Nice guy, ex-Colt man. Very quality-focused. Bought a spare bolt and a few extractors from him, all well made.

Since everybody and their pet ant is making AR components now, many of which are junk, it is good to see nice parts being done.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My LRB receivers are in the 1000 range and know wonder if they were made by the same compnay as the ones after 1200?? Are the post 1200 range better?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
All the LRB Arms M14SA are machined by J V Precision in Seymour, CT. Mike Kelly stated on his web site (while he was selling) that his forgings were made in Taiwan on former U. S. government owned machine tools. Editorial note: Per R. Blake Stevens' book, much of the H&R machine tools were shipped to Taiwan in the 1960s. The unconfiscated MKS forgings made up the eighty-five or so receivers that were machined by J V Precision and stamped LRB Arms. Lou told me on the phone this month that starting with serial number 01200 they are "made from scratch" in the United States, i.e., the forging is done by another company in Connecticut.

FWIW, there's no quality difference in the pre and post 01200 LRB Arms recievers IMO. Whether it's hammer forged in Taiwan or hammer forged in the United States, it's still hammer forged. Machining was done by the same Connecticut firm in either case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.