M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had quite a debate about an "O" marked Springer the other week and it raised some valid questions about who made what. I can't tell you how many times I go over a stock and I just cannot make up my mind who made it. In the end, I really do not care who made it I just want to reveal the fire inside the wood that only God can make but it is nice to know what the heck I am talking about sometimes just so I'm not telling folks the wrong thing.

So I just popped the plates on the stocks I brought home yesterday and I noticed some big-time variations on stocks made by the same mnf, Sacks to be exact. Have a look, see if you have run into this as well:

okay, so far so good...

yep, that looks right...

hard to see, but the stars are arched and in the right place...

okay, "S" and half diamond...

ummmm, that's not the same....the left one looks like a TRW....

what the heck man????

Okay, different P stamps over the years, maybe re-tooling for trigger relief, okay....just shows me there are variations i can't account for....luckily I had the stamp under the plate. Otherwise...who knows?

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Hey Wade see post #29 of this post. H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. a subcontractor for Springfield Armory used two different stamps - one is elongated, but smaller than the very identifiable S.E. Overton / TRW we all know about.

After the last go around I promised I would not get into these discussions - but just sharing information from this great post.

All the best - Wes

http://m14forum.com/stock/165216-subtle-differences-wooden-gi-stock-make-2.html

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Wes!

Please do not filter yourself, this is where we figure stuff out and share knowledge!

Reactions: PHALANX
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.