M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't stand it anymore, so I got out my trusty VISA card and bought some "goodies" from Freds M14 Stocks.

I saw a great posting the other day showing all the steps involved in glass bedding a wood stock and I'm wondering if the same process would work with a synthetic stock???

Would appreciate some words of wisdom here.

duckbuck

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I have seen where "a few" have played with bedding the USGI synthetics but as a general rule they are fairly tight enough as is but there are those that have experimented and turned out some pretty nice stuff here and there. Just my .02 worth which ain't much .... :wink:

Some will say that a lot will depend on exactly what you want to do with your weapon .....

Six

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't afford another M1A right now so I got a wood stock for my Loaded Standard SA. I've got to have that hinged metal butt-plate that I didn't get with the synthetic that came from SA.

I got one of each from Fred. A wood stock and a synthetic, both complete with full metal. I guess I would like to tinker around and see if I can make a good rifle better. If not, I can always save up enought to buy another one, and then another one, and then another one....

I'm not too good with building stuff, but I'm persistent.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Howdy there duckbuck,

I've bedded quite a few of those wood and fiberglass stocks.
If the fiberglass stock is tight between the receiver lugs and the inside of the stock,just bed the rear of the receiver to get the right tension.That's all you really need on those.

HTH
Fly high,shoot low and you'll hit'em every time.warbird

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Warbird - Thanks for the good info. One thing I was wondering about...Don't I need to do any bedding at the front end?

Just wondering. Now to get out the plastic and log on to Brownell's for some bedding supplies...

Thanks again.

duckbuck

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha DuckBuck:

Welcome Aboard! Fred's is getting a lot of action these days... I think our very own Quagmire buys from him by the dozens! :lol: It seems that you want a project to do and to maybe make the M1A a bit more accurate... well, bedding will help, for sure. But as SixT said, the synthetics already fit pretty tight and are not subject to weather changes like wood. So...

Bedding a synthetic stock is very similar to bedding a wood stock. However, the USGI synthetic stock does not give you a whole lot of material to bed to in the first place so you need to be careful. A "Big Red" would be an easier challenge on your first time bedding a M14 type rifle. The Big Red has lots of material (super wide in the receiver and forearm area) to play with.

You can do some wood working, refinishing work and practice your bedding on one stock! But we are talking about synthetics... okay...

Make sure you "rough up" the surface that will have bedding attached to it so the bedding will have something to grab on to. On a USGI synthetic that I have bedded, I applied bedding to all of the "open" nooks and crannies that are there... that gave the receiver area the strongest "box" to sit in and on... I also used "steel" bedding by Acraglass... MarineTex and similar products will also do well...

The bedding fixtures that you use will also be important. The front band "draw" is important to getting your barrel to return to the same "zero" as before. You will also want to open up the front ferrule and polish the contact point of where the front band the front ferrule touch.

The synthetic forearm area is NOT strong. You might want to apply some fiberglass to the inside to strengthen the forearm. Some have applied some stainless steel rods running lengthwise to get the forearm stiffer and is fiberglassed or epoxied in place. I haven't done this but it makes sense.

Keep the focus while doing this project... bedding is to secure the receiver from moving side to side and to create an angled "draw" so that there is about 40# of draw at the front band/ferrule area which will keep the barrel returning to the same zero theoretically. The trigger group will keep the receiver locked in nice and tight for the up and down movement.

It is a lot of work but worth it if you're looking for something to do that is challenging.

The Scott Duff and Jerry Kuhnhausen books have been excellent reading material and the diagrams in the Kuhnhausen manuals are outstanding...

There are also quite a few on this board that bed rifles and I am confident will help if you run into some trouble while on this project.

Last thought... don't forget to apply the "release agent" or you will have a big problem taking the receiver out of the stock.

Good luck on your endeavors... and have fun!!! It can be "wild"!

Aloha, Best Wishes and Welcome Aboard,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the good info, Tom. I've bedded turn-bolts before but bedding a gas-gun looks pretty formidable.

I've been trying to find a copy of the Duff book, but can't find one.

@#@@$$$ - I wish I would have found this site before I visited Fred. I thought seriously about a "Big Red", but opted out for the standard stocks.

When I get a chance (and can keep from getting all weak-kneed at the thought of permanently bonding my action to a synthetic stock) I'll press on smartly and give it a try.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Duckbuck,

Like Bruiser, I got mine from Fulton Armory... I always seem to need something from them... and the book I got was autographed...

If you want, I can take pics of my bedding fixtures... and let us know if there is anything we can help with...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
846 Posts
duck buck. just get yourself a GI butt plate and get rid of the rubber one on the SA. it should screw right on.

the previous owner of mine did this and i thank him. i tried the rubber thingy and it sucked.

you can always go to www.scottduff.com to get his books.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.