M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . . . .with the original barrel on my M1A. :D Over 7K rounds through it, and I still managed to shoot a 192x4 in the 300 rapid prone today with Aussie. Overall, I ended up with a 723x11, just two points shy of my all time personal best.

After the match, I gave my rifle to my friend that is going to rebarrel and bed her for me, and I'm supposed to get the new barrel (Barnett 1:10 six groove medium weight) sometime this week. I probaly won't get her back in time to shoot next Sunday, but definately in time for the Sunday after that and in time to shoot my targets for the Postal Match. :D

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Oh Great!

...in time to shoot my targets for the Postal Match. :D
I figure the rest of us are gonna have to tape the target to the muzzle now!!! :mrgreen:

Be interested in seeing what your outcome is after the bedding. Make sure to give us another great range report.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Squid said:
Oh Great!

...in time to shoot my targets for the Postal Match. :D
I figure the rest of us are gonna have to tape the target to the muzzle now!!! :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right. I figure the new barrel and bedding job may just bring me up to par with the rest of you hot shots, but I ain't expecting miracles. :roll:

Be interested in seeing what your outcome is after the bedding. Make sure to give us another great range report.
Yeah, I can't wait to see what Brigid will be capable of after she's been tuned a bit. I'll definately be sure to post a range/match report once I get her back. I wish my digital camera was working, cause then I'd be able to post some pics as well. Is this what a father feels like when his daughter goes off to college?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Good Shooting Joe! Had to go to Waco and just got back Home and saw Your Post.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Eric. As usual, even after I shot a 192 from 300, I got the usual comments of, "I can't believe you shoot that crummy ball ammo. When are you going to start reloading? Just think how much better your scores wil be if you were shooting real ammo." :wink: I guess once I get Brigid back, I'm going to have to try and clean the rapids from 300 using Port or Aussie to silence the doubters (as if thats going to happen any time soon, even with a new barrel and bedding job). Of course, even then they'd probably say, "just think how much higher your x count would be if you were shooting real ammo." :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did trade Lewis what Aussie, Port and Santa Barbara I had left in my range bag from the last three matches for some of his M118LR, so maybe if he tries it out and shoots 'em all in the ten ring, at least someone else there will start believing us about using good 7.62 surplus for the 200 and 300.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Roger that Joe I dont think it makes any Sense to use Reloads for that distance the benefits are minimal and it is too time consuming.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I am in the same club! Everyone I know say they cannot understand why I shoot British Kynoch and Radway Green in my supermatch. I always respond that I cannot shoot to the potential of the milsurp ammo so why waste money on reloads or match ammo when I do not have the skill to take advantage of it. I only shoot Federal Gold Medal Match ammo on the 600 yard line.

Even C.E. Harris of the American Rifleman wrote that unless you are a high Expert or Master it is better to shoot good quality military ball and spend more time shooting to develop your skill. It is a waste time reloading ammo when you have not developed the skill to take advantage of its better accuarcy. I made Expert at Quantico Marine Corps Base 600 yard range shooting the British milsurp mentioned above, only used the Federal on the 600 yard line because it has heavier 168 grain bullets for the wind.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tommo said:
I made Expert at Quantico Marine Corps Base 600 yard range shooting the British milsurp mentioned above, only used the Federal on the 600 yard line because it has heavier 168 grain bullets for the wind.
I'm sure there was some smart allec that said, "Just think, you could have qualified as High Master if you'd been shooting real ammo on the 200 and 300." :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the only way to quiet the ammo snobs is to shoot a 200x20 on the 300 rapid prone. :roll:

Congrats on the good shooting.

·
Banned
145 Posts
TEA said:
Tommo said:
I made Expert at Quantico Marine Corps Base 600 yard range shooting the British milsurp mentioned above, only used the Federal on the 600 yard line because it has heavier 168 grain bullets for the wind.
I'm sure there was some smart allec that said, "Just think, you could have qualified as High Master if you'd been shooting real ammo on the 200 and 300." :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the only way to quiet the ammo snobs is to shoot a 200x20 on the 300 rapid prone. :roll:

Congrats on the good shooting.
I think you would have to shoot a clean course, not just any one distance.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I am constantly hearing that noise! If I only reloaded, trickled the powder grains and used Sierras I would be shooting much higher scores, blah, blah, blah! I tested myself shooting rapid fire with the Brit Kynoch surplus versus the Fed Gold Medal. My average group was about 1/4 inch smaller with the Fed.

On a very windy day I had a Master spacey/mousy match gun shooter a bit annoyed. I shot a 181 off-hand while he was scoring me. When he looked at one of my ejected cases he was amazed it was surplus! He and some of the other mouse gunners had only shot in the 160s due to the wind. He just could not understand how I could shoot an M1A with surplus ammo, even had some tarnish spots on it, better than he did with his ultra space blaster!

Not only did he under estimate the accuracy of the ammo, but he did not know how to shoot in the wind. It was because I adjusted my shooting style for the wind, held butt tighter into my shoulder, gripped the forend further out and accepted a larger wabble area on my sight picture with a quicker trigger pull that I out shot him. Since he had an attitude about it, I did not try to explain how I did it. I figured he deserved to learn the hard way about wind shooting!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple of years ago, long before my barrel started losing any accuracy, I did a comparison test between Fed GMM, Radway Green, Port and some South African that I was getting bad results from. Shooting my M1A with a scope off sandbags and a bench at 100yds, I was getting just under 1" five shot groups with Fed GMM (only four groups 'cause I only had one box), just over 1" up to about 1.25" with Radway Green, about 1.25" to 2" with Port (a couple of flyers opened up what would have been some tight groups - don't know if it was me or the ammo), and 18" to 24" patterns with the South African (I suspect incorrect storage sometime in its past - maybe in a tin shed by a diamond mine for a couple of years :wink: ). Again, I'm not sure if the flyers from the Port were me or the ammo, but the average group size of the Port was still less than 2x as large as that of the Fed GMM. The ten ring on the 200yd SR and 300yd SR-3 is 7" or 3.5 MOA and 2.3 MOA respectively. If Port is capable of shooting 1.65 MOA on average, then it should be capable of shooting clean if the shooter does his job.

Once I get my rifle back with its new barrel and bedding job, I'll have to take her to the range and do another comparison test using Fed GMM, Black Hills, Port and Aussie. I'll be sure to post the results if I do.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I read an article last year in 'Precision Shooting' magazine. The author was pulling the bullets and powder from Radway Green 7.62X51 NATO cases and reloading them with match bullets. He said RG empty cases had less variation in weight than the Federal Match cases!

To me, that was very impressive and confirmed my suspicion that the British milsurp is one of the most accurate military ball ammos, at least in an M1A with a Barnett/Douglas match barrel. I no longer have the magazine, gave it to a friend, do not remember which issue. Also, the Kynoch and OFN British milsurp seems just as accurate as the RG.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:wink: IMHO You only Need Reloads From the 600yd Line out, As TEA stated If The Shooter does His Job Surp. is just Fine. :?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trung Si said:
:wink: IMHO You only Need Reloads From the 600yd Line out, As TEA stated If The Shooter does His Job Surp. is just Fine. :?
Shhhh, don't let the ammo snobs hear you saying that. 8O :wink: :lol: :lol: Maybe it has something to do with their shooting .223. Do you know if the 5.56 surplus is less accurate than 7.62 surplus? I don't see how it could matter that much at 200yds, as the ten ring is 7" across. I could maybe see at 300yds in a stiff cross wind with the lighter 5.56 round having to buck the wind and the ten ring still being 7".

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I tried a couple AR15s a few years ago and found that it was very hard to find milsurp that would shoot accurately in them. Also found I do not like them, I am sticking with M14 type rifles. Also like AKs when I put a receiver sight on them.

In matches, even with heavy match grade ammo, .223 is more affected by wind shifts at 600 yards. When caught by a wind shift at 600 yards, it can move a .308 shot two rings over, .223 moves three rings over or more!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm working on trying to convert one of the die hard reloading afficienados (see, I'm being nice, I didn't call him an "ammo snob" :wink: :lol: ). He picked up a Quantico built M1A earlier this year and has been shooting it at most of the matches this summer and has mostly been using M118LR that he got from the CMP. He's been grousing a bit about the price of the M118LR, so I've been suggesting that he try using Port or Aussie at least for the 200yd stages. He swapped some ammo with me a the end of the last match - 22rds of M118LR for 12rds of Aussie, 12rds of Santa Barbara, and 4rds of Port that I had left over in my range bag from the last few matches. I'd have liked to have given him more Port, but thats all I had at the time. I'll be sure to bring two boxes next time and try and get him to try it out in the sitting rapid fire.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got off the phone with Paul. He'd sent me an e-mail this evening saying that Brigid was rebarreled, bedded and just needed final assembly. Gave him a holler and he let me know that I could stop by his house tomorrow after work to pick her up. He said that he went ahead and shimmed the gas system too while he was at it. :D :D :D I can hardly wait untiil tomorrow evening. 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.