M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Winchester receiver, but all the parts seem to be SA. (all the parts seem very "new" to me.

The barrel is "1 throat" and "2 Chamber" (I could have that backwards...but it seems like it is in good shape?

The Barrel is also SA, as is the safety and op rod.

The stock is new w/ a CMP stamp underneath the grip.

How do I tell what kind of wood it is? It seems awfully dry.

Any tips, hints or things I should be looking for?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Its a Birch stock made by Boyds for CMP, use BLO or Tung Oil not Tung Oil Finish
Sounds like you got what just about everyone else received when they ordered Winchesters
I prefer to call the CMP Winchesters , SpringchestersGI2

·
Registered
966 Posts
I find that PURE Tung Oil rubbed into the wood works wonders. Use a cheese cloth, and remember you are just rubbing the PURE tung oil into the wood and removing the excess. Do not use anything called Tung Oil Finish.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I like pure Tung oil also but I have used 'tung oil finish' at times, a different animal. The 'Tung oil finish' provides a hard shell finish, high gloss, and brightens the natural shade of the wood quite a bit. My walnut came out practically yellow toned. It's really sticky when you are applying it but can come out very nice as far as color enhancement goes. That being said I still like and use pure tung oil. More natural, less sticky, leaves the wood grain intact, and when it dries it feels like real wood instead of that turtle wax hard shell finish. You can also apply additional coats of pure tung any time you like without messing up the finish. Sure wish you could post some pics of your new rifle, it sounds like you got a nice one.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My Winchester was similar to yours. CMP birch stock and all. I used PTO on mine split 50/50 with odorless mineral spirits, this helps the wood absorb the PTO. I usually do about 10 coats over a week long period. There's also a very good thread in the Stocks subforum on refinishing birch stocks.

Here's the CMP stock website.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/wood_cleaning_article.htm

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
I will attempt some pics in a few days

Springchester! love it
Actually, with a Winchester receiver, you have a Winfield M1.ICONLOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I've got two coats of Boiled Linseed Oil on it and it's darkening up somewhat.

Should I use Tung Oil? (better?) Do they play nice together?

Any preference of one or the other?

Winfield! <---even better! This rifle is definately a Winfield...all SA parts with a Winchester receiver.

One more question...what to lube it with? I have never owned a firearm that required "grease" before....

Is TW-25 too light?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Didn't CMP send you some little greasepots of Plastilube? It's good, or else Lubriplate (white). Use plenty. You did fine. Any Winchester SG that comes out of CMP nowadays will be highly rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I don't think you need to mix BLO with Tung Oil as either works fine. Unless you really want to, I really don't know what would happen with both mixed together. I use Mobil 1 synthetic for grease and Valvoline multi purpose grease. Both do a good job and you get a big can for about $7. There are lots of specialty greases out there and some can get quite expensive. I have no problem with any of them and think that most will do a good job. The two I have mentioned above will do the job very well and last you a long time. As important as the brand of grease you use is the way you grease your rifle. Do a search on this forum for 'how to lube your M1'. It's all a matter of where to lube and how much to lube.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Actually, with a Winchester receiver, you have a Winfield M1.ICONLOL
Nah, Sarge . . it's actually a Winchesterfield . .

really.dance2

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Yes. It's excellent.GITEN

1 - 14 of 14 Posts