M14 Forum banner

Just received M1 carbine

4K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  mbrokaw89 
#1 ·
A good family friend has an extensive firearm collection. I was telling him about my obsession with wood and steel U.S. Weapons and he proceeded to show me a handful of M1As, a handful of WWII Garands, and 4 of his M1 carbines. Well we struck a deal on an M1 for $600 and she is mine. Loving it.

#5 ·
Yes, details, please. Manufacturer, parts break down, magazines, accouterments........more pics.

#6 ·
She is a Winchester! I got a few 30 round mags and some 15s as well. She is immaculate. The Winchester stamp is above the serial under the sight!

Reactions: CAVman
#7 ·
Here is the barrel stamp, I believe it is a Winchester replacement barrel.

#8 ·
If you look closely you can see where it says Winchester under the sight.

#31 ·
I believe it was not until after the 5M serial number range that all the info was moved further back on the heel of the receiver as to not be blocked by the type 2 sight. 5.7M for Winchester. Of course I am not sure if Winchester did this when they installed the type 2 sight from the factory. Inland obviously did.

Here is a picture of my Inland that was manufactured with the latertype 2 sight. Notice everything is now readable.

View attachment 46585

#9 ·
All the goodies he gave me with it

#10 ·
Last but not least, the extra oprod and trigger group he gave me.

#11 ·
Looks like you made out like a bandit!

all for 600....shesh, I need to know somebody who knows somebody who has guns like this so I dont continue to have to match the inflating prices on our beloved steel and wood weapons.

#15 ·
You wouldn't believe the collection this guy has. It's insane. You name it he has one or two.

Nice score. Great friend you have there.

Let us know how she shoots. I just shot one of my M1 Carbines this weekend. They are quite fun to plink with.
I shot about 15 rounds through her and I absolutely love her. My new favorite rifle, I do love my M1A, but the carbine is just so light and fun!

#14 ·
I'm not too versed in the M1 carbines. The other ones he had showed me all said General Motors on the barrel stamps. This one with the basic W I figured might have been a replacement. It was all just in my head haha.

#16 ·
Because its an early 1944 serial number that was later perhaps rebuilt to post-war standards. The W poof on the original barrel would've been closer to the T1 or T2 band and otherwise covered by the T3 barrel band. You may inspect under the T3 band to uncover a script Winchester barrel proof.

My late 6M Winchester has the same barrel markings as shown. It was likely produced in 1945 with a T3 band.

#17 ·
So with all that stuff he charged you $600. I think I might have to chalk that one up as one of the biggest steals I've seen. I'm not sure if you believe in karma, but you must of dome something amazing recently.

I love to shoot my carbine too, they are just so much fun. Definitely one of my favorites.

#21 ·
I take care of him and send him all sorts of stuff that I end up picking up here and there!

You need to continue to develop the friendship. Your price is certainly more than fair - you absolutely got the "family" discount. Don't be afraid to ask for advice on outside buys as well and you will benefit from the relationship down the road.

Bruce
He makes me feel bad because we settled on $600 for the carbine. After money exchanged hands he goes out to his lair, brings me my carbine and a box full of mags, manual, even a box of ammo. I tried to give him some more money, and he refused to take it! He is a great man and an asset to the firearm lover community.

Reactions: GrandCherokee
#18 ·
You need to continue to develop the friendship. Your price is certainly more than fair - you absolutely got the "family" discount. Don't be afraid to ask for advice on outside buys as well and you will benefit from the relationship down the road.

Bruce

#19 ·
Does it have a M2 mag catch? You don't need it but it will hold the 30 mags better. A M2 catch will catch the the third catch on the side of the mag.
That is a nice shooten iron and you stole it for $600!

Casey

#22 ·
It does have the 30rd mag catch

#24 ·
This Thread makes me want to get my Inland out of the safe and play hookey!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: mbrokaw89
#30 ·
Here's what I think is fun about the M1 carbine. On an inside day, take it apart and document every stamp you find. Take the time to look them up yourself and you will be amazed at all the dfferent places the parts came from. Great websites and books available for the little rifle that every company that could made parts for. No other American rifle was produced in this way or in those numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.