M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,

Its been a bit. Ive been up here at ft knox yelling at soldiers.

So, i took a chance and bought an upper. I had it assembled, then man insisted it would shoot .75 all day long...

YHM 20'' 1/9 bbl chrome lined
Screw on birdcage flash hider
YHM free floated quad rail
YHM upper reciever and bolt carrier
YHM piccatanny gas block
YHM flip up front sight

SO.... Im a bit nervious. I took a chance, but ive heard great things about YHM products. Honestly, if it shoots under 1MOA, ill be a happy guy. Paid around 700 for it. I know the story- chrome lined is never as accurate as chrome-moly or stainless.... but, anyone have any input for me?

Thanks!

DS K.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Just because a barrel is chrome-lined doesn't mean it won't shoot MOA or less. I have a Colt HBAR (chromed barrel w/standard handguard, 1/7 twist) and it shoots under MOA all day long. Due to the design of the AR, accuracy depends on the barrel's construction and tolerances more than any other factors. You either have a good barrel or you don't.
If the upper is assembled correctly and tolerances are within spec, it should shoot quite well. You didn't state what barrel type you have (standard, heavy, fluted, etc.), but a heavy barrel will be intrinsically more accurate than a standard weight barrel due to vibration, harmonics, etc. Also with a 1/9 twist, you're limited to approx. 69-72 grain bullets for best accuracy.
I hope he gave you a guarantee on his ".75 all day long" statement. :)

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Albud,

Its just a heavy 1/9, no fluting or anything fancy. The rifle basically looks like an M16A4. 72 gr huh? I was hoping to push it to 77 with that twist.

Yeah, probably a bit of snake oil in there, but i did ask him if he guaranteed his work and he said yes. Im just praying that this gal is a shooter. She locks up nice and even "rings" a little. I like that.

K.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I very much like the offerings of YHM in particular their full floating custom handguards. I like the smooth style that just have the forward mounting picatinny rails addons.

As for barrel twist, every barrel is different as far a accuracy is concerned. A 1/9 MAY stabilize a wider range of bullets than you may expect. The limiting factor would be what round will fit in the magazine as far a OAL. It'll be fun finding out! Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MERCMAN,

I just hope this setup i paid 700 bucks for is going to shoot at least 1 MOA. that will make me happy... i mean, thats one reason why im building this AR. its a full length, and im using it for long range.

that, coupled with the inherent accuracy of this platform and the advances in manufacturing techology from recievers to barrels... i just hope i have a shooter, thats all.

K.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'm sure it'll work out well for you. It is a big charge building your own AR platform. I've built twelve and know guys that have built many more than I have. Mine all turned out well. The last one I built on an LRB lower and used a 20" Wilson chrome Moly heavy barrel and a YHM custom free float tube. It shoots sub moa at 100 yards for me if I use good ammo. Your's will turn out fine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.