M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gus,
Sorry...first thread.

Just purchased this piece of history. It fired very well for the 1st 16 rounds. Now I am having trouble with loading. It sticks and will not close even with a strong love tap. When I risk M1 thumb and guide it, it will close and sometimes fire and sometimes click (only). Any ideas? Le me know what you think.

So here are the particulars regarding this rifle:
1. Springfield M1 Garand
2. Receiver serial number 954541 (manufactured November 1942)
3. Side of receiver ID number D28291 – 17 SA (correct for November 1942?)
4. Operating rod handle D35382 3 SA (correct for 1942?)
5. Trigger assembly D28290 – 12 SA (correct for 1942?)
6. Barrel stamp S – A – 10 ??? (original barrel?)
7. The rear sights are original and first generation. They employ a “lockerbar” technology to loosen and tighten both the windage and down range settings.
8. Weapon fires and all mechanics work well. Shot 16 rounds on Saturday August 23, 2014
9. Performed heavy cleaning, oiling and greasing of all parts on same day.

There is a stock mark reads '69 H' under the pistol grip. It is hand painted and is probably a rack mark for an Infantry.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
One check Hook taught me was to load an empty en bloc clip and pull back the op-rod. The en bloc should fly out with great energy. Otherwise you need a new ejector spring. Secondly perhaps check to make sure the op-rod spring is not broken or too short. If too whimpy then this can cause retarded bolt closing. The force comes from the compressed spring's potential energy.

You need to learn to load the M1 with one hand. The right palm end rests against the op-rod handle while the rest of your hand, thumb, inserts the en bloc clip. Some Garands require a bit of a love tap to send the bolt home. Do not ride the op-rod handle, when the en bloc is loaded you let go. And never bump the op-rod handle to fully seat a round. Ever.

You could have some subtle timing issues, but doubt it. And congrats on the new M1. If you experience any further issues contact the CMP. They will make things right. Their customer service is terrific.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
+1 on the above.

You didn't say but did you strip and grease the gun prior to firing? Every gun I get from the CMP is taken completely apart, cleaned (there is usually a lot of residue) and greased up when put back together. This also gives the chance to inspect all of the parts to make sure they are in good working order. I have had to replace different parts on guns fresh from the CMP over the years (sadly the Greek Air Force return days are over...).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses

Pardon me in advance for using layman terms. I am just a beginning collector.
You guys know when you don't open the receiver all the way and it sticks giving some folks the idea that the breech is all the way open? Hence an excellent opportunity to experience M1 thumb. It does that of course but also does it in reverse. Once I have loaded a clip, it stops at the same spot. Hard to explain, but sometimes it closes with a love tap and sometimes it is a full jam. When I pull back, the clip does eject itself with energy.
By the way, anyone know what the painted "69" "H" would mean?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome to the club! congrats on the new rifle, I suggest Scott Duff's book'the M1 Garand owners guide. there are a couple of web sites you can reference your rifles drawing numbers to see what parts are from what year. beware these are addictive!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Possible (even a NOS op rod will jump track if operated with an upward pull. Wanna pull straight back and level).

But my first suspicion would be weak or broken op rod spring based on symptoms reported.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
One thing you might do is email CMP customer service. They have treated me very very well and may ask you to send it back on their dime for a fix.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pardon me in advance for using layman terms. I am just a beginning collector.
You guys know when you don't open the receiver all the way and it sticks giving some folks the idea that the breech is all the way open? Hence an excellent opportunity to experience M1 thumb. It does that of course but also does it in reverse. Once I have loaded a clip, it stops at the same spot. Hard to explain, but sometimes it closes with a love tap and sometimes it is a full jam. When I pull back, the clip does eject itself with energy.
By the way, anyone know what the painted "69" "H" would mean?
The 69 H markings on the stock are the rack number markings for the Armory to make sure it goes into the racks in numerical order. It is easy to see what rifles you are missing that way. Lots of people refinish them and take them off. I like them myself as I am used to them.

SMAWman

·
Registered
264 Posts
securetiger, drawing numbers on your rifle parts in relation to serial numbers they would have been used on are as follows, hope this helps (Receiver-D28291-17-serial #490,001-1,765200) (trigger group D28290-12SA-serial#1,010,001-3,300,00) (op rod-D35382 3 SA-serial # 219,001-940,000) the book I used for reference is The M1 Garand 1936-1957 by Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch. its a great book for beginning collectors lots of info about the rifle and its accessories.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My bad

Come to find out that I was babying the clip insertion probably because of fear of Garand thumb. Purchased some dummy ammo and practiced using the side of right hand to hold and the thumb to press. Once I learned to press the back of the clip, by golly it works!!!!!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

·
Registered
871 Posts
Really nice rifle. Like others said it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the springs even if it is running now. If you got a box of the new clips you will probably run across a few your Garand doesn't like too. There were a few I've had to weed out and I've found a few clips of the Greek hard to load, cartridges to long? Enjoy. They are a great rifle and that looks like a nice one. Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.