1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
Just got my first M14(clone)!

Here's a pic!
Haven't shot it yet so I'm not too sure how well she sings but will get out amongst it on Sat and find out.
Shame about the "fake" flash suppressor.

Regardless, I feel privileged to own a rifle with such great history and an awesome community.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,425 Posts
Cool rifle! That's a wild camo. You can replace the flash suppressor with a USGI piece, I realize it will be harder to get one there but I'd try.
m14brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a pair of castle nut pliers on the way. They're from Brownells so the quality may be in doubt but hopefully they'll last for at least one change.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,425 Posts
They should last. You don't need to put Paul Bunyan strength on the castle nut lol.
m14brian

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I didn't realise they were still using the M305 designation these days. But this raises the interesting question of rifle ownership in New Zealand. Are you able to buy semi-auto, or is yours the straight-pull version seen in Europe and elsewhere?

Also, I'm not sure why you're worried about Brownells' tools? While they have never been very good to me here in Canada, favouring a ridiculous caution about selling the wrong type of screw etc, their tools have always been pretty good (being one of the few things they'll sell to me anymore).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our laws are pretty similar to Canada.
You can own pretty much anything with the right endorsement on your license.
I have a basic "a" category which means I can own semi auto centrefire with a maximum capacity of 7 rounds (no 10-50 rounf mags for me).
I can't have a free standing pistol grip or bayo lugs...
Bolt guns have none of these restrictions I think.. Neither do shotties (cept full auto).

Pistols need a "b" cat and you can only use them at the range and thats it.
MGs, Fullo auto SMGs/Assault rifles etc can be owned on a "c" but you cannot shoot them anywhere (collectors only).
Finally "e" cat allows you to have unlimited mag capacity, and full military features excpet full auto.

About brownells, I haven't heard good things about the castle nut pliers. All other their other stuff is probably fine.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Welcome from Texas, apathykills. Nice to see a Kiwi on board. New Zealand is a unbelievably beautiful country. May I suggest watching Tonyben 's videos on site here or on youtube . Of real interest may be his conversion of visegrips into a SUPER DUTY castlenut wrench.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I already have a pair of castle nut pliers on the way. They're from Brownells so the quality may be in doubt but hopefully they'll last for at least one change.
They'll be fine.

A buddy of mine lives in southern new zealand. He has a quad runner, a dragunov and a bunch of sheep. One of these days I'll have to go visit him the country looks beautiful where he's at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fired 40 rounds thru today (cheap Barunl steel cased 140gr soft points.)
Turns out I can't hit the broad side of a barn, perhaps some more parctice is needed.
My shoulder is a little sore but man that was fun. Good thing I wore ear pro because that was loud too.

Loving it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts