M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was merely curious as to exactly how many weapons are in this particular category ...

The Garand
M14
M16
03A3

Enfields? Models?

Bolt Actions?

Anything else I have missed here ... ?

I need to study more ... :roll:

Six

·
Registered
615 Posts
P-14 - Enfield made in the US
P-17 - 30-06 Enfield made in the US (not really an Enfield but they are at times classed that way)

Do not forget the Mosin-Nagant - Winchester I believe made some.

That's about the best I can do off hand.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks T ... :wink:

I'm tryin to get my ducks all in a row here ...

Six

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Tlyn, Savage also produced Mosin Nagants. Six, how about Colt and the Thompson, Marlin and the BAR, all those M1 Carbine manufacturers, Reising, Johnson, and the M3 Grease Gun? :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks JR - I knew that Savage produced Enfields - oh dang No 4 Mark I Enfields made by Savage.

But I had totally forgotten they made the Mosin-Nagants too.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was more or less referin' to the basic shoulder weapons but then of course the Pig can be fired from the shoulder as well as the BAR ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
846 Posts
nagants were also made by westinghouse and someone else as well, i think. however all were made for russian contracts that went mostly undelivered due to non-payment caused by the bolshevick revolution. eventually the army took possession of these guns used some as trainers and ended up selling them through the DCM type program back then. circa 1930's, at least this is how i understand this guns. please correct any mis-information i may have spewed forth.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Don't know all of them but what about the military issue shotguns. And what about the current issue SAW.

HH

·
Registered
61 Posts
Leave us not forget the M1941 Johnson, issued to US Marines during WWII. The Marines would have adopted it, over the Garand, had not the War Department decided to standarize weaponry for all the services. Whatever is easier for the Army--don't you know? Sheesh!

Westinghouse and Remington produced Mosin Nagants under contract for the Tzar. Fubar is correct about most of those going undelivered. Some were also issued to American Expeditionary Forces who fought the Bolsheviki in northern Russia 1918-1919.

.....[A]n Allied force under British command was dispatched by sea and on August 3, 1918, seized the city of Archangel and drove the Bolshevik troops to the south of that place. The first American troops ashore are fifty sailors from the USS Olympia. The British government had previously urged the United States to contribute a contingent and as a result the War Department directed the Commander-in-Chief of the American Expeditionary Forces to send three battalions of infantry and three companies of engineers to join this Allied venture. The 339th Infantry, 1st Battalion of the 310th Engineers, 337th Field Hospital and 337th Ambulance Company, all of the 85th Division, were designated. They sailed from England, and arrived in Northern Russia on September 4.
Crew of the USS Olympia (with M1891 Mosin Nagants)

Winchester also delivered a number of Model 1895s to Tzarist forces and many ended up in the hands of Spanish "Republican" insurgents including the so-called Abraham Lincoln Brigade. About 10,000 Model 1895 Winchesters were delivered to the US Army for evaluation. Some ended up with guards in the federal penetentiaries but that wouldn't account for very many. Some were issued to troops (as well as Nat. Guard) but I have no idea which units got 'em.

There was also the Lee 1895 straight-pull Navy rifle.

·
Registered
947 Posts
P17 -- Huh?

Do you mean, perhaps, the M1917, the primary US infantry rifle during WW1? The rifle carried by none other than Sergeant York? Derived from the Brit Pattern of 1914 which was in production in the US at the time.

Back when weapons had names, not merely numbers, this was indeed the Enfield while the M1903 was the Springfield. My father-in-law who was an infantryman-MP during WW2 used the Enfield his entire time in the states including training and duty. He says he never fired the M1903 or M1 during the war. They exchanged their Enfields for the M1 Carbine just before they boarded the ship for England.

There are probably a dozen models of the Krag including rifles and carbines. And at least that many sights.

-- Chuck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts