M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I just got my m1a back from Springfield and I have a problem. Here's the issue. I lock the bolt back with the mag well empty, but when I pull the op-rod to release the bolt, it locks up and won't ride forward. I'm able to see that it's not getting caught by the bolt stop, so that's not the issue.

After jiggling the op-rod a little, it will release and ride forward. I'd be very grateful for any input and help. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why did the rifle have to go back?

Is the tab on the op rod getting caught up in the op rod dismount notch on the receiver? When you pull back the op rod to let it go, do not pull the handle away from the receiver, just straight back and if anything, press the op rod towards the receiver. Could this be it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was sent back originally because of a hanging front sight

Hi Red,

Thanks for your help but that didn't fix the issue. The weird thing is, it only happens about 1 out of 5 times I lock the bolt back. Maybe I just need to take it to the range first....any other thoughts???

I tried using the search function for this problem but I was unable to find anything.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My armscrop use to hang up every now and then when I would pull the bolt back like you are talking about. After a few hundred rounds it cleared up. I think the bolt stop or some other spot was a little rough and shooting it wore it down. I know this don't sound like the way one would fix a broke gun but mine never had a FTF or FTE just when you would pull the bolt back slow with your hand it was like it fell over to the side and got stuck a little wiggle would free it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, here's my $0.02.

Does the oprod move freely or does it bind somewhat? If the rifle is new, it may just need to be broken-in a little. Did you grease the oprod/oprod guide, bottom of the barrel where the oprod flat is, the receiver channel that the oprod rides in and the "hump" where the bolt roller contacts the oprod?

I hope you get this problem fixed soon. Let us know how you make out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.