M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the weld on the front and side view really stand out in these pics but by eye it is hard to notice. How's it look?

inside view

side view

front view

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I'm sure the welds look fine but you aren't finished. The arms on the front band should be annealed and bent up to allow a fitted handguard which you alter slightly to then fit tightly in the band to sit higher on the stock. You also need to alter the rear of the guard so that the spring clip will fit tighter and the hand guard will be held higher. But so far so good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can also just silicone the handguard to the barrel at the rear, and to the front band at the front to keep it from moving. If the handguard makes any contact with the stock, just trim it. Oh, and make sure the handguard doesn't make contact with the front of the receiver as well.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Not bad.

Just trim and silicone your hand guard and you're good to go.

Click this pic for an example of about how it should look:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not bad.

Just trim and silicone your hand guard and you're good to go.

Click this pic for an example of about how it should look:

I'd appreciate it if you would stop posting pics of that rig all the time. Its making the wait for my JAE very PAINFUL!!!!!!FRG1FRG1

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
unit

He gets like that around this time of year.....I think its buck fever or the shooting season makes him that way DI2

If you don't like the mud dobber look, you can dremel some off before the Bar B Q paint job. I recommend ceramic based high temp flat black paint. There is plenty there to hold it, just don't go crazy on it. Finish up with fine needle file and sandpaper for a smooth finish.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why not weld it from the inside where the weld would be hidden? Couple of spot welds at say, 10 & 2 o'clock, would do the trick, no?

Kevin

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips guys. i just sanded down the handguard, enough so it sits with a gap from the stock.

this is sitting on a JAE stock and im going to be putting downward pressure on the barrel, so for now i just did some light sanding and am keeping the handguard off until i find the sweet spot on the barrel tensioner

here she is BEFORE the new barrel, etc

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Why not weld it from the inside where the weld would be hidden? Couple of spot welds at say, 10 & 2 o'clock, would do the trick, no?

Kevin
Kevin what you mentioned is typically bow it is done however some will do the welds you see on the op cylinder in addition to the ones at 10 and 2. The four I have had done are welding at 10 and 2 with nothing on the outside. I don't think the external welds will qualify the rifle if used for competition. It's an external mod. I may be way off base on that anyone care to comment with the facts?

Ripsaw it's nice to see yiu out and about! Miss ya Rick!

Josh you go on posting that puppy! I'll never get tired of looking at it. I still have pics of it when she visited NY. They are actually in a photo album I put together of stuff I worked on. As of right now it's a small book.
The weld job on the gas cylinder looks real strong. Is it shiny or is that just the flash? Can you tell us who did the work for the possibility of recomending the smith in the future? I only know one guy that welds them and that is cepilot. Thanks in advance and be sure to let us know if the groups tighten up for you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The weld job on the gas cylinder looks real strong. Is it shiny or is that just the flash? Can you tell us who did the work for the possibility of recomending the smith in the future? I only know one guy that welds them and that is cepilot. Thanks in advance and be sure to let us know if the groups tighten up for you.
its not shiny at all, its from the flash. looking with the naked eye it blends in and is hard to notice. i was surprised how much it stands out in the photos

heading to the range tomorrow. just picked up a few boxes of 178 HPBT Hornady Super Match ammo. They didnt have any Federal Match or Black Hills 168/175 so im going to give this a shot in my new 1/10 Krieger 22"... never shot 178gr before, I should be okay with 1/10 correct?

gunsmith is gruning precision in riverside, CA.

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
I have used the 178 Hornaday's at 600yds and they fly just as good or better that the 175 Sierra using the same load data, I have a 1/10 Krieger heavy as well.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Yup just like Phill said your good to go. I use 175 all the time in my 1/10. You have to report back on the barrel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got back from the range. shooting ~1" groups @100 yards. first time shooting in probably 4 months, had a few friends come to shoot too so couldn't really sit down and get in the swing.

i really noticed the extra reach on the 22" vs the 18" barrel... first shot on steel at 700yds.... ding. second shot, ding. all smiles

i actually ended up returning that 178 hornaday, there were a few threads on here that it might be a little hot flying at 2775 fps. i got a few boxes of federal match 168. but good to know that hornaday's are g2g?

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Thats cool sounds like you had a good day with your shooting buds. I take it you are a happy camper with the new results. How did you like that Krieger 1/10 CM Heavy? Was it worth the wait on the group buy?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes of course it was worth the wait!

for my range trip, I didn't really have the chance to focus and get into the groove. Both my friends are good guys and responsible but was their first time shooting rifles so I kept an eye on them. was also my first trip out after 4 months /excuses GI2

personally, I had an okay day at the range- I threw a lot of shots but the rifle did shoot great.

the kicker for me that really made my day was hitting that 700yd steel consistently. that longer barrel was really nice to have.

100 yards 168 federal. a little disappointed I threw these shots but was still a great day

5 shots

3 shots

4 shots

1 - 17 of 17 Posts