M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here, and new to the M1a.

Well, after firing about 100 rds through our unit's M14 EBRs (Sage stock and MK4) over here in Iraq, I decided to get my own scoped M14 type.

I found this rifle on Gunbroker, looked exactly like the rifle I envisioned building (minus cheap optic) so I bought it for the guy's asking price. After doing some research, I think it is an M21 that was mis-identified as an M1A. The seller had the gun on consignment, and all he could tell me was that it was a custom job built by a guy in Calfornia named Don McCoy for match shooting. Apparently he builds Garands for matches. Is anyone here familiar with his work?

My rifle sports a heavy barrel, adjustable stock, a rear lug on the receiver, and a couple other nice refinements. The cheap BSA scope will not stay on this rifle, but I think I will use the ARMS mount.

What kind of optic should I consider? I would imagine 10x or less for this type of rifle. Anyone else have an M21 type rifle?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Looks like an M21 to me. I think the M21's were also marked M1A by SA Inc. Could be wrong.

It has the coveted ARMS split rail which is nice.

What sort of shooting do you plan to do?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It appears to be a custom M1A, now if it is a National Match or not you will need to check your marking on the gun in various places. I don't think it was ever a M21 used by the military but more than a custom M1A and a VERY NICE CUSTOM. Take care of that piece or the M1A Gods will punish you!!!!!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The Military's M21s were NM conditioned M14s,with Scope and Mount matched to a particular Rifle and shipped that way to Viet Nam, they were still marked M14 on the Heel, just like the rest of the Rifles!

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
If in Fact it is built by Don McCoy you have something to look foward to shooting when you get home, Don is a very noted M1 builder and every once in a while does a M1a, like anything make sure you get the paper work,

Last I knew Don was in the So. Cal area

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I plan on doing some distance shooting with it out to 500 yards or so. I may also use it for deer from time to time.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Whatever it turns out to be it is a great looking rifle and should bring you years of fun. Congratulation on the purchase.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
It appears to be a m21 type rifle. The real proof will be in the details.
Good find and good luck.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm not so sure...

I have a McCoy M1 (I live about 10 miles from him) and to my knowledge, Don will not do M1As...period. He is THE Garand man. If anyone knows otherwise...let us know.
Bruce

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Looks to me as though it is an early SAI M21 stock. I have one but there are subtle differences from what I can see in the pictures. I am not sure when SAI started to produce M21's, you may want to call them with the serial number if in fact it is an M1A from SAI. As far as I know they are the only company that produced a walnut stock with an integral cheek riser.
One thing that stands out is the white looking insert or piece that is on the side of the stock where you tighten the set screw. I don't have anything there protecting the wood its just a hole and a allen head bolt that is recessed into the stock. Personally I really like the idea of an integral cheek riser and to have one in walnut is a bonus. Your going to love the set up. Bellow is a pic of the one I picked up fall of 07. The only GI part I have n my rifle is the trigger group. How is yours set up is it mostly GI parts? I wonder what year it was made.
Here is a pic of the 07 I have
Wow one thing I noticed is and correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you have a 7 round mag in there. Is it a seven rounder???? If it is its the first one I have ever seen I think they are pretty rare!! I think that is what the 21 was issued with, Trung SI is that correct? I remember someone telling me so. That is pretty neat!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks to me as though it is an early SAI M21 stock. I have one but there are subtle differences from what I can see in the pictures. I am not sure when SAI started to produce M21's, you may want to call them with the serial number if in fact it is an M1A from SAI. As far as I know they are the only company that produced a walnut stock with an integral cheek riser.
One thing that stands out is the white looking insert or piece that is on the side of the stock where you tighten the set screw. I don't have anything there protecting the wood its just a hole and a allen head bolt that is recessed into the stock. Personally I really like the idea of an integral cheek riser and to have one in walnut is a bonus. Your going to love the set up. Bellow is a pic of the one I picked up fall of 07. The only GI part I have n my rifle is the trigger group. How is yours set up is it mostly GI parts? I wonder what year it was made.
Here is a pic of the 07 I have
Wow one thing I noticed is and correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you have a 7 round mag in there. Is it a seven rounder???? If it is its the first one I have ever seen I think they are pretty rare!! I think that is what the 21 was issued with, Trung SI is that correct? I remember someone telling me so. That is pretty neat!!!!
Nice looking rifle you have there 82nd. The whole reason I even bought the rifle was because of the stock. I really like the idea of having it adjustable for optics. I didn't even think about the 7 round mag, I figured it is a 5 rounder. I am trying to find out more about it from over here (Iraq) from the guy I bought it from. Once I get the serial # I will run it through Springfield to see if they built it. I am being told though that it was built by McCoy by the seller so we will see. Either way I'm sure it will be a great shooter. I am looking at Leupolds in the 3x9 flavor for my optic choice. I found a nice cheap 3x9 PR model adjustable in minutes with target turrets and a 40mm objective for real cheap so I may give that a shot. I have always had good luck with Leupold, though I don't like the fact that they do not have a zero stop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts