M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

With all the tinkering and fear of my Loaded not shooting like I want it to; I bid on a NIB Super Match SA9804 in McMillan stock. I got it at a lower price than those listed on Buds and similar websites and it is close enough for store pickup so there won't be shipping costs...

What are your opinions on this rifle? Is it worth scoping or will it be to much tinkering on an already expensive rifle?

I plan on making this my baseline for performance of the M1A platform and will work to get my loaded to shoot like it. Depending on each rifle's performance, I may "unload" one or the other.

Thanks for the input guys.
Russ

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I'm only a couple hours north of you......let me when you want to "unload"....I'll drive down to my old Navy stomping grounds for a FTF....; )

Scope that thing!...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:ARM33:I didn't calculate the sales tax since I'm making local pickup... :ARM33:

Not used to that being GB and all.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Ok,

With all the tinkering and fear of my Loaded not shooting like I want it to; I bid on a NIB Super Match SA9804 in McMillan stock. I got it at a lower price than those listed on Buds and similar websites and it is close enough for store pickup so there won't be shipping costs...

What are your opinions on this rifle? Is it worth scoping or will it be to much tinkering on an already expensive rifle?

I plan on making this my baseline for performance of the M1A platform and will work to get my loaded to shoot like it. Depending on each rifle's performance, I may "unload" one or the other.

Thanks for the input guys.
Russ
Hi Russ,
Not that familiar with the platform but mine is a SM9805 in a McMillan... Look at my pics here and am having fun with mine.

Jeff

Reactions: russmerle

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I trust that I got a good price... Reality sank in when I realized the 6% sales tax was applicable to me for once; hurt my pride there for a second.

I was watching that auction. You are getting a state of the art rifle with a lifetime warranty for a good price.

Get a couple of boxes of FGMM 175's and wring it out with the irons before tinkering with a scope.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I trust that I got a good price... Reality sank in when I realized the 6% sales tax was applicable to me for once; hurt my pride there for a second.
Ouch! Russ mine set here in it's case for 5 years at least as the expensive Leopould scope was taken off it and I FINALLY said 'do it!' and put a $299 dollar scope on mine with the cheapest cheek rizer I found... DO try the Bradley as when I can I will change mine...

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
I didn't want to mention that and burst your bubble. I'm sure McAuliffe will see that it goes for a good purpose. I heard on the news earlier tonight that he's good with money. RNGR2

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Shoot 'er like God intended... iron sights at 600 to 1000 yards.

If you want to scope a heavy barreled M14 clone, better to get an M21 with the cheek riser built into the stock. Your beauty queen was born and breed for National Match. She wants you to get in, and sling up before she takes you for a long ride. USNA

Oh, and the next time you speak of her....she better have a name... and pretty one at that.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barrel Brake In?

Being that "Lady" is new (I'm the tramp obviously); what do you all suggest as a break-in procedure?

This is what the Douglas site says:

"CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS

Run 2 or 3 wet patches with a good bore cleaner through the barrel. Then use a brass brush and wet patch again. When sighting in, clean every 10-15 shots. Always leave cleaner in bore when you are finished shooting. This will dissolve fouling left in barrel. The barrel should be thoroughly dried before shooting. If Sweets is used, do not leave in barrel more than 5 minutes. Do not mix Sweets with any other cleaner."

·
Registered
240 Posts
I definitely would not leave cleaner in the barrel. Clean wet patch, brush, then wet patch dry patch until clear then run one oil patch down the barrel, Butches oil, Montana barrel conditioner, etc.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you search threads on barrel break in you'll see that many consider it a waste of time. I did it cause I had more time than ammo. I use sweets after matches. Cleans barrel very well but you can tell its caustic so I do "flush" passes with hoppes afterward. Have fun with your new, sweet rifle.

Ps. When I did break it in I concentrated on the chamber.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Being that "Lady" is new (I'm the tramp obviously); what do you all suggest as a break-in procedure?

This is what the Douglas site says:

"CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS

Run 2 or 3 wet patches with a good bore cleaner through the barrel. Then use a brass brush and wet patch again. When sighting in, clean every 10-15 shots. Always leave cleaner in bore when you are finished shooting. This will dissolve fouling left in barrel. The barrel should be thoroughly dried before shooting. If Sweets is used, do not leave in barrel more than 5 minutes. Do not mix Sweets with any other cleaner."
Barrel break in is a waste of time IMO.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Beautiful rifle!! I have a NM M1A and it continues to prove that it just wants to shoot...I have left mine with just iron sights...for now. I dream of letting her "ring the bells" at 600+ yards with iron sights. I just need to find a range or power line that will allow it. Down the road, I'll buy some good glass. Right now, enjoy shooting it with iron sights...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I agree that break in is generally a waste of time. More expensive barrels tend to be hand lapped before they ever leave the factory anyway. Not sure if the Douglas heavy barrels that SAI uses for the Super Match are, but after a few rounds, it's all going to work itself out. Given the differing opinions out there, you should just do what you think its right... she's your "Lady" now.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
SM Question

First range day was awesome. I love this rifle! I didn't take any pictures of the targets since I was punching holes with several different rifles yesterday; but the three 5 round groups I shot were spot on (cleaned every five rounds for break-in).

Before firing I cleaned the bore and greased the action really well w/o dissassembling the rifle. The manual says to limit disassembly for NM and SM rifles as much as possible due to the bedding. I packed the roller pretty well w/ my thumb. Its visable w/ the charging handle pulled about 1/2" out of battery. By working the action and greasing the roller, i feel like i shouldn't have to take the action out of the stock...

Question: For those that own SM/NM rifles; did you guys do an initial dissasembly in order to properly clean and grease the rifle?

Lady and the Tramp respectively:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts