M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'd be very appreciative of your guidance. I just got a new standard sa m1a and I had a few questions:

-the manual says to use hoppes bench rest (not regular.) My question is, what solvent do you all recommend?

-Will I be okay using my otis rifle kit and cleaning from chamber to muzzle?

-Where online can I purchase a gi chamber brush?

-Finally, what other tools for regular maintenance do you recommend I get? Also, where online should I purchase?

-I apologize if this is a silly question...my m1a has a chrome lined barrel. Is a break-in procedure necessary? I only ask b/c my local gun store commando was harping about how important it is even w/ a chrome lined barrel...just want to make sure I have my facts straight. :D

Thanks in advance for your help...I'm so excited to get this thing cleaned and take it out to the range!!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you have the chrome bore you can skip the solvents and bore cleaner and use CLP for everything but the bit of grease you'll need on the bolt locking lugs, top of the happer etc.

Copper "fouling" is self limiting and you'll put more wear scrubbing the barrel than shooting. Heck, a .30 caliber boresnake will do 99% of your cleaning.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Since you have the semi auto version of the M14 with chrome lined barrel,I suggest getting a maintenance manual TM 9-1005-223-12.

The manual explains how to clean and lube,and much more.
I would use the Otis kit instead of the rod though.

Most places have chamber brushes but,if you can't find any,I have plenty. :D

warbird

·
Registered
61 Posts
As far as chrome lined barrel break in, Bushmaster says on their web site to shoot 200 rds without cleaning the bore to propperly break in a chrome lined barrel. I have done as they said on two barrels and been rewarded with excellent shooters.

On another note, I doubt your barrel is brand new. If it has a shiny bore it has been used already. New chromed barrels have a dull silver look until they are shinned up from shooting.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Welcome to the Firing Line, Cigsour :D :D :D

You have come to the right place to get good info on your new M1A.

Plenty of friendly folks around here with lots of info and experience to share.

I'm sure you are going to like it here.

I use both kinds of Hoppes and they work fine. I prefer using my Otis Kit for cleaning. I lilke the idea of being able to clean from the chamber to the muzzle.

You might want to consider picking up a combo tool, gas cylinder wrench, flash suppressor pliers, gas cylinder cleanout tools and a bolt roller greaser to get started. You can find these in a variety of places, but I know you can get them from http://www.fulton-armory.com or http://www.springfield-armory.com/ .

Must have books are either (both preferably) The M14 Owner's Guide, by Scott Duff or M14-M1 Garand Shop Manual, by Jerry Kuhnhausen. Got mine at Fulton Armory.

If you have some spare time, look through the back postings here and "across the the street" at BattleRifles for tips and tricks you will find very interesting as you work your way into M1A shooting and mtc.

Hope you enjoy your new M1A. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

duckbuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.