M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DISCLAIMER! This is NOT a how to thread, I'm just sharing my experiences on my first build and first time experiences working with tools I have very little experience with. I will not be responsible for any persons attempt to build and use their own rifle. I understand that this is a very big risk and I'm assuming responsibility of my own decisions and actions.

After six months of planning and waiting, I finally have all the parts and supplies ready for my first build! I've been doing a lot of research here and I'd like to thank everyone for their help and advice.

There's some more stuff but it couldn't fit on the table

Some work done by the local smithie at my request. He had to remove about 3 Thousands of an inch off the shoulder to get the barrel to time just right

That's exactly how I wanted it!

I also asked him to mill my Brownells action wrench to my LRB M25 Receiver, which fits like a glove!

Guess I don't have to worry about Bolt Roller impact here!

Just in case anyone's curious:
Receiver: LRB M25
Bolt: Fulton Arms
Barrel: Kreiger 22" Heavy Contour, 1/11 twist, Stainless Steel
Stock: US GI (I believe), Hoping to switch to JAE-100 G3 in the near future
Various US and Commercial Parts

Probably going to start with lapping the bolt first and then finish reaming the chamber tomorrow, or when I get the nerve and courage to start. Gotta get my wits together and get my plan into order.
dance2

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's awesome. I wish you would do a step by step process with pictures. I'm currently in the process of aquiring parts for my first build

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
[email protected] The Range

Wazzup yellowthunder,

Wow....pretty sick setup you got there. Looks like you got the ball rolling and ready to piece her up altogether. More photos are great and especially the complete build with range report.

That being said, when ya ready to function fire her or sight her in etc..... at Kokohead, if all things work out between our real life issues, we and other Hawaii shooters from Oahu can make a "Day @ the Range". GI2MCORPS1

Good luck on your build.DI5

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Looks like you've got it thought out very well and prepped for the work. thanks for sharing the pictures of the start. Looking forward to step by steps on the whole build.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After much thought and chomping on the bit, I lapped the bolt to the receiver and finish reamed the chamber today.

My home made tool. In retrospect I think I should have purchased the actual tool. I had a lot of trouble getting that casing out of the barrel. Oiling the casing didn't help at all.

First 10 minutes of lapping with 400 grit. You can still see the mill marks on the receiver.

Final lapping, hope I didn't go overboard here. Started with 400 Grit, switched to 600, and finalized with 800 Grit. Looks like I took it down to about 2 thousands, I hope this isn't too much. It took me 3 hours to do this while listening to my ipod. I know my job isn't neat, but my next build will look better.

Hope this picture doesn't make too many cringe.
I mounted the barrel vise vertically so that it could be held steady to make reaming easier. There was also a bucket placed right under the barrel muzzle to catch all the oil and shavings. I didn't get any pics of the actual reaming work but can tell you that I took it nice and easy with the reamer and I used A LOT of cutting oil, that little oiling can made life very easy for me. Never done this work before, heck I've never even used a tap before but every 15 turns I'd remove the reamer, wipe it clean and re-lube the chamber. The reamer seamed to glide in the chamber and every time I checked the headspace, I made sure that the chamber was clean and dry. My final goal is to chamber for 1.635 or a bit less but no more, so I can safely shoot 308 and Nato 7.62x51 and I'm not worried about reloading. So I have another 3 thousands to go before I'm done.

I do two questions. My headspace gauges are Clymer and they measure as follow:
GO: 1.630
No GO: 1.634
Field: The container says 1.640
I thought 308 Field is supposed to be 1.638 but the label says otherwise and the gauge itself just says Field with no indication of measurement. So is the field really 1.638, or is it as the label says 1.640?
Is there a trick to using the chamber brush? I was able to feed it all the way into the chamber but pulling it out was damn near impossible. What did I miss?

Next... well I need to relax for now, my head is spinning right now GI8

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
yellowthunder, this is awesome. I am very happy for you! Warren and others have me really excited about doing this myself.

Looks like you have everything you need for the project. Please post photos of what you can. I have a bunch of questions, but do not have the time to ask right now.
GI2

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
You are the Man and you have Bigger B _ _ _ _ than me
Well done and Give us your Range Report

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
SAMMI 308-----here's how I remember it....by fours. 30,34,38...

Go = 1.6300"
NoGo = 1.6340"
Field = 1.6380"

NATO 7.62 x 51------------by fives, 35,40,45,....the last five-ten thousandths of an inch is often inconsequential unless you are a Military Armorer.

Go = 1.6350"
NoGo = 1.6405
Field = 1.6455"

Do what you like, but personally, I would stop at 1.633....See Gus Fisher's very informative thread about headspace in the "thoughts from gus fisher" forum here, which I'm sure you have already........unless of course, you plan on only shooting mil-surp and crawling around in half filled ditches with water and mud clogging the action and chamber daily, and never cleaning your rifle chamber very often, then by all means go with Nato spec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like you are doing a great job. Keep us posted on your progress. I too am contemplating a build and have just started my research. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Again, I am really interested in your progress. I am enjoying watching your build as it is something I would never attempt. Good work.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, Thanks Ripsaw for the info. This has been a pretty hard project so far. I'll be glad to finnish it when the time comes. I'm really worried about my lapping job, that I may have gone too far with it, and ruined the receiver. We'll have to see later!

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I'm really worried about my lapping job, that I may have gone too far with it, and ruined the receiver. We'll have to see later!
Looks to me like you hardly scratched the surface of the receiver (milling marks). Hard to believe you ruined it.GI3

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks to me like you hardly scratched the surface of the receiver (milling marks). Hard to believe you ruined it.GI3
I hope you're right. If you look at the last set of pics you can clearly see how deep I went with the lapping especially on the right pic. I don't know if there's a way I can measure it but I may have gone a little past 3 thousands of an inch.
The pic is magnified so I'll have to look at it again after work.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Thanks everyone, Thanks Ripsaw for the info. This has been a pretty hard project so far. I'll be glad to finnish it when the time comes. I'm really worried about my lapping job, that I may have gone too far with it, and ruined the receiver. We'll have to see later!
Your lapping looks fine and as long as the headspace checks well, you are GTG. Good job , by the way. Just like I do it !!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Speaking of pictures...

what's your secret??? Your pics are very well composed, clear and bright. How'd you do it?
Bruce

1 - 20 of 38 Posts