M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(NOTE: This is not some sort of shameless commercial hype. I'm just trying to save us all some of our hard-earned and ever-more-scarce $$$$!)

Any interest in some sort of bullet, powder, brass, primer or whatever Group Buy? I, like many FFLs and shops, do get small wholesale discounts on the usual small quantities, but if the volumes were truly high enough, I wonder if someone like Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Berger, Starline, etc. would possibly consider better, bigger and possibly a direct discount if we were to buy, let's just say, all the components that we each think we'd want to have for the next 2, 5, or even 10 years. This stuff tain't gonna git any cheaper, that is for sure!

Imagine, for instance, an order to Hornady from one buyer, cash on the barrel-head, for, oh let's say.... 300,000+ bullets? Mixed weights if you'd like but nonetheless, 3000 bullets will only do me for a couple of years! I have gone through at least 1500 cast bullets for my BPCR Sharps, so to lay in a solid, guaranteed 3 - 5 yr supply of 165gr A-Maxs, soz not to have to worry for the foreseeable future about supply? Makes sense to me.

Oh, and what about powder? It's gone up what? about 40% in the past 3 or 4 years? Where's that going to end up? That product, as well as primers, has some direct roots in the petro-chemical industry after ll! Not to mention the rapidly rising costs of shipping via diesel fuel. Just ask me: my F350 Power-Stroke is gettin' costly to feed!

(And ditto for that much brass? And a couple-million+ or so #34 mil-spec or CCI or Fed LR primers? Wow, huh? The sort of numbers that would even make Wal-Mart shudder and seriously consider buying me out! Hey! Maybe I'd even go directly to Wal-Mart soz they could incorporate this into their current-day large order, for possibly even better discounts.

I need to sit down!

I for one would probably but about 5000 bullets, ditto for maybe 3000 .308 Winchester brass, etc. And primers? They will become the gold of the reloader's future; the government may even decide to limit them, since without those, we're all stuck in neutral! And the gov'mint could easily tie it all up by simply buying the total of primer production for a few years.... yikes! USN4

So, any constructive feed-back please. I would place an order, and then re-distribute, with just enough 'net profit", about 2%, just to cover my direct costs incl. shipping. These savings would just be extended to youz guys, as a way that we might all benefit and save a few bucks. Saving 10 - 15% could be worth it, no? Yes?

Again, none of our favorite things are going to get any cheaper, and frankly, I also expect all this stuff to get waaaayyyy more scarce!

Any thoughts? Nay-sayers? Negativists? Positivists? It would take some organizing; maybe there's someone out near me that could help out? Some semi-retired old geezer who, like me perhaps, is just lazing around, wishing he could be a millionaire for an afternoon, with a total, all-encompassing historically accurate collection of M1As to fondle and fire?

GI2

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
im not in a position for it right now, but you have a good idea. having been part of a few large group buys of components and shotgun shells before, i will tell you when you start talking orders of 100,000 bullets, or several pallets of shotgun shells you can negotiate some excellent pricing, and sometimes get shipping thrown in for free. skipping the wholesalers and going straight through the manufacturer helps too, as the biggest mark up comes from the wholesalers.

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
I'd be up for it but I couldn't pay more than a $100 or so for any single group buy, the budget just won't let it happen. Of course, if my budget is in line with most people's, then that would give you an idea of how many people you would need to recruit in order to make a buy possible.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I would Be Interested too
Many Years Back I came across 50k of CCI #34 primers at a Ridiculously low price, and I snatched them up,I will never run out or pay high prices again LOL

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK then!

It's a start. I'm going to do a bit of communicatin' with some suppliers, like Hornady & Sierra for starters, plus maybe Alliant (Reloader powder series) and whoever does IMR powders (4064, 4350, etc.) next week. I may also get a few more interested parties by then. After all, a hundred or so buyers, at 1000 - 2000 bullets each, with matching primer & brass quantities, might kick it off. Maybe. We'll see.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Group Buy

I'd be in for bullets, powders and perhaps primers. Getting something shipped directly from the manufacturer would help save on shipping costs. We'd need some assurance of deliveries. Not accusing you of anything underhanded, but I've seen some group buys take a horribly wrong turn with the participants loosing big bucks.

Hope this works out.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Nothing wrong with stocking up on components. I was around in the Klinton years so I went a little crazy when Bush's numbers started to tank and I could see the libs coming. But I beat the buying surge and now have probably a lifetime supply of primers and powder that cost me a LOT less than things cost now. I could use some more bullets though so count me in.

I was an officer at my gun club back in the Klinton years when you couldn't find components anywhere. We had a connection with a big wholesaler who gave us priority for a group buy. But it ended up being a nightmare for us volunteers who put it together. Just the logistics of distribution was a PITA. The supplier wasn't going to give us the price breaks if he had to ship out a bunch of smaller orders so we had to handle that end. Collecting the $$ was a pain, too.

And if I had it to do over again, I would limit the items available in the buy. It kind of defeated the purpose when everybody wanted a little of this and a little of that - too may small quantities of too many powders, bullets, etc. I would suggest a couple powders and the same for bullet choices - like 4895 and Sierra 168's for example in the M1A. If there wasn't a large number of 'pre-orders' for a given item, I'd pass on that one. JMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.