M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home from work early yesterday and don't have too go in until late this morn, so last night I was playing with my 1911, getting ready too get it up and running. Reswadged the loose plunger tube, swapped out the ring hammer for a spur, ditched the rat tail grip safety for a std. G/S, polished the sear and the hooks, throated the barrel and polished the feed ramp, fitted the trigger and adjusted the over travel next was adjusting the extended mag release.

Everything feels real good and I'm pleased with my work so far. So I dig out my old NM bushing from the junk box that I've had for years and decide it's time too put it too good use no more freeloading for you Mr. Bushing time to get too work. I've fit many Match bushings too 1911's but this is the first time this has ever happened too me. Fitting the skirt too the slide was as you would expect it too be, fitting the bushing too the barrel the same.

Here is where I hit the wall, now the slide binds going into battery? head scratcher time for 30mins. How could this be? everything fits so well. So I get too looking at where the bushing rides on the barrel near the muzzle and see uneven wear contact. I jerk it apart and measure the left/right sides of the flange on the bushing. What do I find? the bore is machined .008 offcenter too the right causing the left side too drag.

Moral of the story, measure the bushings bore and make sure its machined centered first and save yourself some time, energy and brain cells..........

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a similar problem when I rebuilt my 1911 years ago. I bought an aftermarket bushing. The pistol would bind up. I purchased a Colt Bushing from Colt and it worked fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can eat my time and labor the part was cheap enough a NOS USGI NM bushing for $5. there dirt common and finding them isn't that hard at the fun shows. The hunt again has just restarted so I will drag my calipers along the next time.

Live and learn............

·
Administrator
17,402 Posts
I had a similar problem myself when I rebarreled my 1911 Colt some 5 years ago. I bought an aftermarket bushing and NM barrel. The pistol would bind up once changed out, so I pulled out the calibers and found the bushing was out of spec. to the Colt bushing. I trashed the bushing and still have the NM barrel, still works great with the old Colt bushing.

DI5

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you figured it out, Phil. Playing gun smith on a 1911 is way above my pay grade.

Regards,
D1
No its not!! its a simple machine nothing more. I cut my teeth on 1911's long before I got into M14 clones. Trust me if this ham fisted knuckle dragger can do it so can you!

·
Registered
510 Posts
It pays to inspect everything closely before you fork over the cash. I bought an ambidextrous safety for a Colt Officer's Model I owned at the time while at a gun show one year. The next weekend I started my first 1911 project ever. I beveled the magazine well, installed new grips, and installed the safety.... Or at least tried to. The shaft was slightly bent and thus wouldn't fir flush against the side of the frame. Had to take a file to the old safety in order to make it work with the new right side safety...... Grrrr!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I like them, there is a yellow gtx same year hemi car in Chickasha, Okla. I have been trying to buy since 1971 when I first saw it. The owner still drives it to work every day. All original and a beauty, never wrecked and not a scratch on the paint and a 4 speed car, black interior.
Greg

·
Registered
71 Posts
I envy anyone that can fine tune any firearm. I am always afraid that any modifications I would attempt would end in disaster. The extent of my know-how is a simple feed ramp polishing and spring replacement.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Glad you figured it out, Phil. Playing gun smith on a 1911 is way above my pay grade.

Regards,
D1
Yaa. I have a hard enough time getting the boolits in the magazine the right direction. GI3

I've never had a 1911 frame apart... but I'm fixing to give it a whirl soon. Phil is correct... it's only a mechanical machine, the nice thing is if you break it, there are always spare parts.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Bushings are cheap.....borking a slide is far worse.

The bad part is finally discovering which part is crap and not having another spare at hand to fix it. I have tried to have parts stashes but they always seem to turn into complete guns. I then buy spare parts for those and it happens again. Damn strange cycle.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts