M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
17,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is here now! The 4th of July is the 244th Birthday of the United States. The 16th was when Operation Kingfisher began in '67, The 27th was the end of the Korean War in 1953.

The tomatoes taste great again, but are not setting with the high heat very day now, with the peppers are still bugging out and setting. The cucumbers are getting bigger.

Temperature…… 79.4°F
Elevation .........…652'
Wind……………. S at 9.0 mph
Pressure……….. 30.20."
Visibility………... 10.00 miles
Ceiling………….. Unlimited
Cloud Cover........ 5 % with Sahara dust storm
Wind Chill.……... N/A
Dew Point…….... 31°F
Humidity………… 89%
Rainfall………….. last month 4.57", YTD 19.92".
Chance of Rain...10% today
Snow Depth…… Still kind of Low.
UV…………….... 1 out of 12
Pollen/mold and tree…..…10 out of 12 Moderate
Air Quality……... 69, moderate.
Sunrise .............. 6:11
Sunset ............…8:44
Tomorrows high .100°F
Tomorrows low.. 76°F

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Summer has not yet arrived here! Rained all day yesterday and I dont think we made 60F even. Today, MOS, drizzle and 53F at 0930 with a high around low 60's today. June was very wet and cool too. We often say that summer doesnt start until July 4th and that is holding true to form. Summer starts late and goes late often thru September or early October, then the monsoons begin again.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,051 Posts
That's what I love about the PNW. When I was in Portland, we got fireworks legally on the 4th of July, and it was sprinkling and about 60 degrees. Just awesome in my book. It's a shame who's taken over up there though, I have always wanted to go back, can't do it in good conscience now.
m14brian

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Still raining at this moment and about 53F! Supposed to improve over the next few days. Agree on the political situation here but its way better than Cal or OR in my view or at least no worse. There are other states in the country that have better politics but the weather sucks. I will stay here, the cooler moderate climate suits me so much better. I was practically born on the water and feel strange getting too far from it.

·
Administrator
17,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had a heavy rain yesterday just after lunch time, 1.56" in an hour. The temp dropped over 25°F.

·
Administrator
17,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aphelion, today the Earth center is the farthest from the Sun center than any other time of the entire year.
:cool:

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
91°F here at 5150 ft. elevation, pretty calm wind

Humidity9%
Wind SpeedS 3 MPH
Barometer30.14 in (1020.66 mb)
Dewpoint27°F (-3°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Heat Index87°F (31°C)
90s yesterday and tomorrow, no rain forecast until mid next week

·
Administrator
17,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then why's it so dagumb hot?
Because the Sun rays are directed towards the Northern hemisphere (Summer). In the Winter time the Sun is closer but the Sun rays are directed towards the Southern hemisphere and not the Northern hemisphere.
Your science lesson 101 for this week.

Reactions: sbird

·
Registered
963 Posts
S.E. Loooziana
temp..91
humidity..70%
wind...0
feel like temp is ...100 +
The air is so thick you need scuba tanks to breath. Walk out for a few min and sweat is dripping.. Need to jump in the pool just to "dry off" ;) Thunder storms daily around 3-4 pm all this week

4th of July 1976.. Was at Marine Corps Supply Depot.. Barstow Ca. awaiting discharge ..Got "volunteered" for a gun salute. Rolled out a few 105s..? ..at noon and started firing. A train headed thru town come to a screetching stop. Don't know if the engineer was scared to pass or just being " Patriotic"... we all had a good laugh🤣

OBTW...It was HOT....( but a dry heat , like you desert dwellers like to say )

·
Administrator
17,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Barstow is a dry heat have stayed a few times as well. Been through there and pasted the Marine Corps Supply Depot over a couple dozen times over the years. Always stopped at the next overpass for gasoline and a sandwich.

Reactions: speerchucker

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,051 Posts
Still raining at this moment and about 53F! Supposed to improve over the next few days. Agree on the political situation here but its way better than Cal or OR in my view or at least no worse. There are other states in the country that have better politics but the weather sucks. I will stay here, the cooler moderate climate suits me so much better. I was practically born on the water and feel strange getting too far from it.
I am insanely jealous of your 53 degrees, that's half of what it is in this hell hole, I don't see how that could be improved upon lol. You can still shoot in the rain and at 53 it doesn't feel like hell's waiting room. I would go back up there and have to hit the gym again to be fist fighting with Antifa lol. But the wife absolutely will not go up there, says the rain is depressing, while I love it, makes things hard as to where we are going to go. The only choices left are still hot in the summer or snow in the winter, the weather in the PNW is unique to that region of the country. So, our best compromise is moving to, or close to the mountains somewhere in what would be at the time a relatively free state.

Switching gears, regarding a "dry heat", so is an oven... Now that the longest day of the year has passed, every day moving forward is getting us closer to Fall and Winter, and getting dark early, I can't wait.
m14brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts