M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up early before the heat and had a coat of paint on the house trim before 7. It was still reasonably cool so I packed up the 14 and went to the range for a bit. Wrapped up the session with 10 rounds sitting fired from the mag but still slow fire. Its one of the practice things I like to do besides just timed rapid fire. Good way to practice trigger pull. 99-5X and the 9 was the last shot.

The other target is 10 rounds of offhand. Score was decent but I was happiest with making good calls for the whole string. It was getting hot by the time I was done.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
What a nice couple of targets. Location looks amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Great shooting and an excellent range. Excellent offhand target too! Your zero looks spot on. Thanks for the super pictures and the report.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That has to be the best looking rifle range I've ever seen! That's some good shooting with that fine looking rifle.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you sling up when you shoot?
Yes. And No. I follow NRA/CMP high power competition rules and courses of fire. You can use the sling for every stage except standing. For standing position the sling must be attached to the rifle, but can not be used as support or stabilization.

One of the hardest (and rewarding too) parts of participating in recreational sports is coaching yourself. I always like to hear how other people practice. Sometimes that's why I post the reports, to bait others into spilling their training techniques. I shot again this past weekend to practice and to burn up the last bit of this batch of ammo. Usually I run just 10 rounds of offhand and focus on some aspect of the sequence (like follow through). This last time there were 16 rounds left for sitting practice. Two slow fire sighters to start. Then loaded 2 mags with 2 rounds each and did an NRA style start from position. Then loaded two mags with 2 and 3 rounds and followed CMP procedures and started from standing. Repeated twice. This gave me lots of practice of getting into position, mag changes, and getting back on target after the shot.

Now, if I could just do this in a match instead of practice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts