M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm please to announce an addition to the the family. It was not without issues. Each build these days, especially ones that depart from the USGI clone can be a challenge.

This build and actually the last couple have been problems with KREIGER barrels. This rifle included a Heavy Pattern CM 1-12 Kreiger. For which I paid good money to have Short Chambered, but just about ate up a finish reamer to complete... instead of the 10-20 thousandths it was more like 250 thousandths. Also in the past with the short chamber services Kreiger would knock down the sharp edges at the entrance of the chamber... It's ALWAYS "FUN" to find out at the first function test, you've just created a case grinder instead of a rifle. The clearences and fit of the oversize oprod guide leave much to be desired. However the biggest PITA was Kreiger missed the depth of the front splines by a bunch. I tried numerous muzzle ornaments, FH & Brakes none would fit. Oh almost forgot the feed ramp index was off about 2-3 degrees.... I'll be calling Kreiger Monday for a bitch session.

For a home builder cutting those splines deeper and doing it right is about impossible... so I put a mill on my wish list of tools. It ended up with a Brake from that guy who likes to sue his customers because his Brakes are world renowned for being a sloppy fit.... Gee I hope I don't get sued for saying that GI6 . I didn't buy it new it was surplus laying around and I'm looking to replace it with a different brake.

The build is also a poster child for Sadlak Industries. I always like to support Mike Sadlak he supports the M14 team(s) at Camp Perry. Plus he make some pretty darn good gear for the M14/M1A. This build has an extended Mag release, NM Grooved Piston, NM Oprod spring guide, and the Titanium scope mount.

The JRA Rock-Ola receiver from their $495 sale needed a bit of TLC but nothing out of the ordinary or unusual. There was some clearancing in the heel, and the sight ears that needed to be done. The position of the lugs was typical for most of the JRA/7.62mm receivers in position and angle. The bolt needed very little lapping, there was one high spot on the right lug that need a bit of stoning during lapping.

I also have to make a call to JAE tomorrow I'm getting a bit of an air gap at the heel I want to know their prescribed method for closing the gap. The lack of heel contact did not seem to affect accuracy. After managing to get the sharp edge at the entrance of the chamber beat back enough to feed rounds without grinding up the cases, the rifle proved capable.

Its still needing some work to put the final stamp of approval, new muzzle brake (from a non-sue happy manufacturer), getting the splines at the muzzle cut to spec, smoothing out the chamber entrance and getting a scope mounted.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
An IOR 3-18x42 35mm FFP mil/mil scope, no sense in trying to shave any weight with this pig. GI6

Oh yeah I'm getting an Atlas BT-10 bipod and monopod as soon as I can get the measurements for the correct monopod.

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
Good job! Looks nice! What generation of JAE is that? Hope you find a suitable muzzle attachment soon. I have an operating rod that I need to exchange out for the same reason, but Thrustline hasn't had any operating rods pop up in stock at all this year.

Hope she shoots as well as you are expecting.

Tony.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Very nice rifle!

I am disappointed to hear about the issues with your Kreiger barrel. I hope the two new ones I am sitting on don't have these same problems when I go to build.

You pay a premium for their barrels, and they should be inspected closer.

Detailed photos would be nice to see.

·
Premium Member
18,883 Posts
Nice job Tony. I think you are going to like that stock. I am using the Acu-shot 3 to 5 inch monopod. Right at 3 inches from the rail works for me. My Kreiger heavy stainless 1-11 was pretty tight to get the muzzel device on and reaming the chamber presented the same things you ran into. Shoots like a champ, but getting there was a chore.

[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/Range31812010.jpg.html][/URL]

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It is a Gen 2 stock that I've had sitting around for a while. I got it NIB from someone who never got around to using it. It has all the popular options, pic rail front and back, adjustable cheek rest, barrel tensioner, and few others. The only Gen 3 option I'd like to have is the quick release cheek rest the JAE is all but impossible to use irons with cheek rest in place.

I'm still kicking myself for bluing the heel area before taking some pictures. It's a much easier to see where the work is done that way. When I get some time I'll see it I can't get some closeups of what was done. Basically if you're holding the receiver in your hand with the heel up inside portion facing you, the area that needed a little work was the upper right hand corner and chatter marks at the very end in the center. The corner area was preventing the bolt from contacting the receiver square. Which would have eventually peened the contact point on the bolt. The chatter marks were smoothed out in the middle section to allow the bolt freer movement as the bolt flies home.

Reactions: kvesi122

·
Premium Member
18,883 Posts
Sounds pretty much like the same stock I have. I don't mind not removing the cheek rest though. I only use this rifle the way it is set up and only shoot prone supported as the photo shows. With handloads I have been able to maintain sub moa 10 shot groups consistantly. I wish that were the case with the rest of the herd, but then there are a lot of bucks into the build of this one.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds pretty much like the same stock I have. I don't mind not removing the cheek rest though. I only use this rifle the way it is set up and only shoot prone supported as the photo shows. With handloads I have been able to maintain sub moa 10 shot groups consistantly. I wish that were the case with the rest of the herd, but then there are a lot of bucks into the build of this one.
I have those same detachable sling swivels too. However, for whatever reason swivel wells came setup on the opposite side of the rifle. It's on my to do list to spin those around so that the sling is on the same side as yours... the oprod will grind a hole in my back the way it's setup now.

Since the rifle will be primarily an optics platform I guess it's not a big deal not have instant access to irons. It's just I've grown dependent on those little bits of iron. GI6

We only test fired with irons from the bench, all the holes were touching or one ragged hole groups. It will have to wait for the glass to get a good run in, but it appears to have potential.

·
Premium Member
18,883 Posts
Potential for sure. It is almost possible to forget you are using a gas gun. I haven't even touched the tensioner on mine. Why take a chance on screwing up a good thing. I have done enough over the years with not leaving well enough alone. The JP Delta break on mine makes the recoil like a mouse gun. I love it because you can watch the bullet strike on target without any repositioning. It is fun to rapid fire on an SR-1 and chew out the X ring.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Potential for sure. It is almost possible to forget you are using a gas gun. I haven't even touched the tensioner on mine. Why take a chance on screwing up a good thing. I have done enough over the years with not leaving well enough alone. The JP Delta break on mine makes the recoil like a mouse gun. I love it because you can watch the bullet strike on target without any repositioning. It is fun to rapid fire on an SR-1 and chew out the X ring.
Between the stock weight, the buttstock pad and the (sue-happy incorporated) muzzle brake this one kicks like a mouse gun too.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Premium Member
18,883 Posts
Between the stock weight, the buttstock pad and the (sue-happy incorporated) muzzle brake this one kicks like a mouse gun too.
Yep, and for an old fartosaurus like me , it needs wheels just to haul the darn thing around.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Art you got me thinking about the weight compared to my Sage EBR. This is the kind of info that's good to have, but hardly anybody post. The JAE currently has no optics or bipod. The scope will add an additional 28oz (not counting steel rings) and Atlas bipod 11oz pushing the weight well past 16lb mark.

The Sage has a 17oz scope and a standard weight barrel, while the JAE is sporting a Kreiger heavy pattern... if we're comparing apples to apples.

Disclaimer: all weights approximate both scales not certified for commercial trade.

·
Premium Member
18,883 Posts
I never have weighed mine. I am sure it is pushing into the you have to be kidding me territory. When I get back from vacation, I will toss it on a scale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts