M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed a JP Enterprises Standard Profile compensator on my SOCOM and thought I would give a quick opinion on the device.

Since the SOCOM barrel threads are proprietary, I purchased the SEI Muzzle adaptor/Gas Lock from Fulton which had the required 5/8x24 thread size for the compensator. The two went together very easily and the installation of the Compensator/adapter on the rifle was also very easy---although I did have to add a shim to get the proper gas lock lockup. The compensator came with a crush washer so getting it properly aligned was also very easy.

Here is a picture of it mounted on my SOCOM:

I took it to the range yesterday and fired 100 rounds through it without an issue. This break is very loud for others at the range, as one might expect but I didn't notice any blowback toward my face nor did it disrupt anything on my shooting bench so no problems in that area.

The JP compensator virtually eliminates muzzle rise and is a significant improvement over the Springfield factory comp. As far as recoil reduction---well it is hard to tell. I was shooting 155 grain spritzers and the recoil felt about the same amount as the factory comp, but it felt very different---more like a shove rather than a sharp strike as the factory comp does---so even though the recoil is about the same it is much easier to tolerate and stay on target -----Don't misunderstand, there is still considerable recoil, but it is more like someone shoving you in he shoulder rather than someone hitting you in the shoulder---hope that makes since.

So, The JP comp might not be for everyone and may not be worth the money for some.....but for me, I like the looks, I like the fact that it almost eliminates muzzle climb and it makes the felt recoil a little more tolerable and easier to stay on target. so for me, I am happy with the purchase and plan on keeping it on the rifle. The only downside I found was that it and the adaptor do weigh a little more than the factory comp but not enough alter my opinion.

So for me, a good investment.

Bob

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Thanks for the review. I was considering that one, but went with the SEI USCG brake instead since it produces less noise and concussion. I hope you never have to shoot that thing indoors.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had a JP brake on a 7mm mag long range rifle for a long while. It worked great at mitigating recoil and muzzle jump on that rifle. The "push" you are feeling on the M1A is most likely the action on the rifle going through its cycle. Like you I did notice that it definitely was loud.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I hate these brakes. They give me a headache.

I need to come up with a foam helmet I can wear when these are around.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
It's more the pressure of the sound. I feel it in my head along my jawline and in my teeth if they are clenched.

Big bore rifles do the same thing but they aren't fired as much. The .223 Jp sound is constant and that's why I get the headache.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My JP Brake

I have used the John Paul brake on my AR chambered in the AK / 7.62x39 and DAM is this thing L-O-U-D.

I love it as it makes my AR-47 shoot like a smaller 5.56 no muzzle rise so my red dot stays right on target, and besides if Your facing down an onrushing wall of meth zombies the muzzle blast will disorient them long enough to slam in another 30 round stick GI5

·
Premium Member
18,875 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts