M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://joshuamark5.com/

What do you guys think? I've done some searching and not a lot of opinions out about this one, probably because it is still in production and nobody has really had their hands on it.

I like it. Basically, an AK mounted to an AR lower. Use of Pmags and AR hardware/furniture is nice. I can appreciate the simplicity and ruggedness of the Kalashnikov. I admire that the guy got an idea in his head and started running with it.

I'd be real interested to see accuracy and reliability over the long term. Their blog also has been getting some updates and they have a few youtube videos out there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After digging a little deeper, I'm not very impressed that there are no hard specs on the weapon.

A little ways down on their blog they discuss the new bolt they have to manufacture for the weapon, describing it a 'specialized steel'...what the heck does that mean? Carpenter 158? No? What is the heat treat process? What is the rockwell hardness?

I love the idea of this project but I think the specs do need to get a lot less sales-pitchy and get more hard facts and specifications about the weapon. It looks like they are marketing it to the tactical crowd and a lot of those folks don't have a lot of tolerance for vagueness in their weapons.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The original 556Rs did have a few issues but SIG corrected them and now they are wicked! You can see video of Gabe Suarez making hits with one out to 700 yards on YouTube. That is pretty awesome for a 7.62x39! Our member Art Neerguard makes a match trigger set up that I want to buy as soon as I can afford one. I am using the AK PMAGs and really liking them too so far. This thing is accurate and cheap to shoot, try one out as soon as you get the chance, IMHO is better than an AR all day!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nightrider,

Thanks for your input! Did they say what ammo was being used? I'm interested in hearing, since I'm used to the standard idea of x39 having an operational range of just a few hundred meters.

That's good to hear about the Pmags...how many rounds do you have through yours? I'm waiting for them to have the steel reinforcement but I haven't heard a release date or anything.

I like the idea of the Joshua Mk5...the reliability and porous type action of the ak up top, but using something like an AR magazine compatible lower. The Definitive Arms AR magwell is a cool concept as well. I really do have an admiration for the AK and I'm always interested to see people push the design as I think there is a lot of uncharted territory with it.

As mentioned above, the thing I'm not so keen on with the Mk5 is the lack of hard specs and kind of gimmicky language used to describe it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amendment Arms Joshua Mk5

After 2 years and several BS conversations with GM Tom Wise I finally received mine and it looks like it has been in combat for a couple years, maybe that's the reason it took so long to get it to me. The upper was finished prior to all the machine work thus leaving visible mill finished millwork marring at the ejection port area. It arrived with the pistol grip appearing to have been in the back of a truck for a few years prior to install, and the barrel was marked up as well. I sent pictures of all this to Mr. Wise stating my surprise and displeasure with his product. His response was that every firearm has it's unique gunsmithing characteristics and he saw no issues with it. That's the response I pretty much expected out of them. I own several weapons of the same make and model and they all appear to have had their engineering and testing figured out prior to the finishing of the materials used.The jury is still out as to it's function ability but should know that within a week or two. Would shoot it today but have to spend my time completing this thing as it arrived with no suppressor, sights, or mag. Have found a complaint on ripoff.com about Amendment Arms and the Joshua Mk5 and plan on adding my opinion to the same site and all the other forums that I participate on. I could go on and on about my negative experience with Amendment Arms but the most important thing I can share with everyone is "BUYER BEWARE" love to hear from others on this subject. Semper Fi

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, too, have received several incomplete answers from GM Tom Wise. I paid for the Joshua MK5 in January 2013 with the expectation that it would be delivered in May 2013. The contract also specified that if a customer paid the full amount when ordering, then the customer would get a $40 rebate each year for 5 years ($200 total). I emailed to find out more info on the $200 trigger upgrade and to ask why I did not receive a rebate last year. It seems they have many upgrades from barrels, triggers, grips, finish, etc., that they are trying to sell. It's like they are saying that the current rifle is not a good product and if you really want a good gun, you should pay them $1,100 more. Tom Wise told me that my rifle is about to ship in the next 30-45 days (I've heard that before), and that I need to pay $98.45 taxes and $65 for shipping. The contract specifies the shipping is anticipated to be $20 for parcel post and $40 for priority mail.

Here is his answer on the trigger upgrade: "The optional Trigger Job is a polishing process. I can have Ryan call and explain it to you better if you like." But now Ryan is too busy to call because they have a rush this week. I only asked what the pull weight is and nobody can answer that.

Here is his answer on the rebates: "The rebates are delayed until we have better cash flow. All our money is in production right now."

Here is his answer on shipping costs: "Sorry, Thomas, we don't have $20 or $40 options anymore. We were losing money on the shipping, and we're not making anything as it is. Thanks for understanding."

If their customer service is this terrible before I get the rifle, I expect that it will be the same after I receive the rifle. I am going to cancel my order and ask for a refund..after they have had my money for two years.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The Gen 1 556R had reliability issues. The Gen 2 is rock solid.

I've got a Gen 2. Just to give it a whirl, I loaded her up with Lapua 7.62x39mm, topped her with the NF 2.5-10x32mm off my JP LRP-07 and ran her at 100yds. When I did my thing, shot shot just over 1MOA.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
They are only about 30mins away from where I live, I saw them a week ago at a local gun show.....

They had several prototypes but no production models on hand, I got the impression that they are having a hard time getting things going

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They are only about 30mins away from where I live, I saw them a week ago at a local gun show.....

They had several prototypes but no production models on hand, I got the impression that they are having a hard time getting things going
I was at this show as well and saw some of their prototypes. Honestly, it does not surprise me they are having a hard time getting things going. They have been taking deposits from people for years and have not been delievering rifles as promised, my friend being one of them. They are charging close to $1600.00 for a "pimped out" AK that takes AR magsGI3. $200.00 trigger jobs (because it takes them four hours to do it according to their website)and things like "upgrades" to a Magpul grip for $80.00. Its no wonder they are struggling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.