M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very interesting!

http://www.shop.m-14parts.com/Wolfe...Match-Barrel-with-5R-20-Rifling-WMMWSS-5R.htm

High Quality 410 Stainless with 5R/20 button rifling and match grade Wolfe chamber: For the accuracy minded or match shooter our WMMW Stainless Barrel is our most accurate barrel. Add nitriding and your barrel will be matte black just like the rest of the parts and the service life and corrosion resistance will increase significantly.

The standard and medium weight M14/M1A barrels have been constrained by the use of the standard size USGI operating rod guide. While the standard medium barrel currently in production is a better alternative to the standard weight barrel for the accuracy minded shooter, its diameter remains constrained by the standard issue USGI op rod guide and therefore requires a significant step down to accommodate the use of the small op rod guide. The only alternative is to use the heavy pattern barrel, that requires an oversized op rod guide, which typically requires gunsmith installation.

The heavy pattern barrel also has an op rod guide that extends up above the upper plane of the heaviest part of the barrel and can contact the handguard and create a pressure point in the barrel if not properly modified. We have designed a modified medium weight barrel that uses an entirely new slip on single pin op rod guide in order to increase the overall diameter of the barrel so that instead of the steep step down at the op rod guide, the barrel tapers slightly all the way to the gas cylinder and maintains greater diameter for increased rigidity and accuracy potential. The barrel starts at 1.1 inches and only tapers to .9 inches all the way to the gas cylinder where it steps down just like every other M14 barrel so that it's legal for high power service rifle matches.

I wonder if this barrel can be used in a SAGE chassis since it seems that it uses a proprietary operating rod guide.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This is awesome. It's good to see some variety when it comes to barrels for the m1a rifle. It would be nice to see a 18.5 in version of this barrel. What Id really like to see is a 6.5 creedmoor version of this barrel.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just got a Wolfe/ 5R - I will install and test it see if it well worth it. If it came from Krieger then it is top shelf. I installed two heavy bull Barnett/Douglass barrels and they are tight on the sandbag at the 50yd. 5 holes are touching size of nickel on the new barrel. The slightly used USMC Barnett I inherited from Ebay back in the day will hold cloverleafs too.

I have an USGI issue barrel checker and both barrels gauge almost well at the minimum allowable wear. They are practically new.

I am eager to get this Wolfe 5R installed. I don't mind button-rifled barrels. But the cut-rifling has been my best barrels.

Peace.

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got a Wolfe/ 5R - I will install and test it see if it well worth it. If it came from Krieger then it is top shelf. I installed two heavy bull Barnett/Douglass barrels and they are tight on the sandbag at the 50yd. 5 holes are touching size of nickel on the new barrel. The slightly used USMC Barnett I inherited from Ebay back in the day will hold cloverleafs too.

I have an USGI issue barrel checker and both barrels gauge almost well at the minimum allowable wear. They are practically new.

I am eager to get this Wolfe 5R installed. I don't mind button-rifled barrels. But the cut-rifling has been my best barrels.

Peace.
Every one I've installed shot great. You should be happy with it. It's my favorite barrel to date. It cleans up faster than any other barrel I've ever had to super-clean.

Tony.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks Ben!

How many rounds do you go on the barrels without cleaning? I really like to wear the barrels from shooting, not from over-cleaning w/ brushes.

The gas cylinder I keep clean all the time. Wipe down the piston and bore every trip to the range.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I was about to buy one of those barrels, but then decided to first ask a question about finish. Wanted the barrel in the white instead of target grey. Maybe when I receive and answer I will get one.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I was about to buy one of those barrels, but then decided to first ask a question about finish. Wanted the barrel in the white instead of target grey. Maybe when I receive and answer I will get one.
I am awaiting response as well. I know they are jammed up until september. Tempted to be a little forward and just use the old-fashioned POTS. GI1

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I just had my Polytech barreled with one of these, very accurate and easy to clean! Next rifle I have barreled, I'll contract with Jon foranother of these barrels.

By the way, Jon and company has assembled a lot of rifles for me, can't ask for a more honest man to do business with, not to mention the high quality of work.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
If I happen to stumble upon a conversation with the awareness required to do so, I'll ask the question, just in case, and let you know.

Does 'White' mean simply without any finishing? I've seen the reference before, but never thought to actually nail it down.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
If I happen to stumble upon a conversation with the awareness required to do so, I'll ask the question, just in case, and let you know.

Does 'White' mean simply without any finishing? I've seen the reference before, but never thought to actually nail it down.
That's the way I understand it....bare metal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I’ve got a nitrided version of this barrel on order. Hope to get it soon. It’s being built on a Bula rear lugged receiver into a McMillan stock.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I’ve got a nitrided version of this barrel on order. Hope to get it soon. It’s being built on a Bula rear lugged receiver into a McMillan stock.
You wont be disappointed I have the exact one you have on order, at 100 yards shoots 1moa to sub but it really shines at 300 to 600 yards.
Have fun be safe.

Reactions: mc89 and tonyben

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I think nitrided is the way to go...
Maybe somebody here knows the answer to this.

Here goes...

So, I've got this barrel vise and action wrench that I've already used once, and I'd like to do it again, if i'm not actually making problems for myself. I.e., I'm confident that I can properly time the front sight level with the receiver. I did, after all, make a bloody contraption to do it easily, however...

Is it plausible given Bula receiver manufacturing tolerances to have the Wolfe Team chamber the barrel and then let me install it, or do I need to ship them the receiver so that they can match up the chamber cutting to fit the particular bolt/receiver combination. I know that Bula used to offer bolts in different headspace offsets, but you don't know until you know, I guess...

I know when I did my Fulton/Criterion barrel, because it was chrome lined, it went together fairly close, and then I just lapped the bolt for the difference, but according to the assembly guide, if you're going to do finish reaming, you don't do it that way. You do final chamber reaming to set headspace, and the bolt lapping is primarily a matter of getting good surface contact.

I haven't done chamber reaming before, and even if I did, I think Wolfe has a proprietary chamber I'd like to have, making it full boat Wolfe, and even if I could buy one, it seems like that'd be a couple hundred dollars for a cutter or so, maybe good life experience, but don't know that I'm that committed...

Summarizing possible options in my head...

A) If the bula receiver tolerances are tight enough, cut the finished chamber for the barrel, send me a bolt to go with it, and let me play.

B) I send the receiver and they find a bolt to match and/or cut the chamber to match estimated headspace based on hand tightened position and thread pitch.

C) I punt and just let them put together the barreled receiver with a bolt...

Also, on the nitriding, I read somewhere that it was desireable to nitride after barrel 'break in', and that there was a process of assemble/shoot/disassemble/nitride. How much of a difference would this likely make. All things being equal, a more accurate rifle is nice, of course, but I don't have any delusions of attaining the skill to capitalize on the last Nth% of accuracy potential. 'Shoots Real Guhd' is enough for me.

Eventually I suppose I'll be running through these things with the source, but would be interested to hear your guyz' opine-onions.

·
Registered
393 Posts
choose door "C".... just got one of those barrels, fluted and nitride built on a GWLA receiver from Jon and JD.... absolute thing of beauty to behold... just waiting for a break in the weather to get it out to the range....

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
choose door "C".... just got one of those barrels, fluted and nitride built on a GWLA receiver from Jon and JD.... absolute thing of beauty to behold... just waiting for a break in the weather to get it out to the range....

Your build turned out great... Excellent parts & a flawless receiver. Definitely one of the best builds I’ve done lately

1 - 20 of 23 Posts