M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered the James River Armory web site. They have some m1903a3 rifles for sale that they call 'restored'. I am interested a m1903a3 as a 'shooter' so I am not really concerned about collectibility. Does anyone have any experiences with James River Armory they wish to share? I have given up on CMP; every time I check their site they are out of '03a3's.

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
I believe they were drill rifles that were welded up and have had the welds ground off. I wouldn't mess with one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
CMP said a while ago it would have enough 03a3's to begin offering them again in the future.
Check out their website and stay in touch with the CMP Folks. In the meantime...enjoy my CMP 1903A1

Springfield 1903A1, 1918 manufacture, 1942 Springfield Barrel. Greek Return restocked with a NOS Springfield "C" stock to match the old stock it shipped in.
Great trigger, kicks like a mule and still shoots very well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
James River Armory does quality restorations. They started tweaking reproduction civil war arms for competitors in the NSSA and expanded from there to include WWI and WWII arms. I would not hesitate to fire ANY rifle I purchased from them.
Obviously, any collector value would be gone, but what they do is take arms that have been neglected, strip them, and refinish to arsenal quality specimens.
Not sure why anyone would say 'run away' unless they weren't familiar with the company.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I quite agree. JRA does not pretend to sell collector pieces.

I've bought from JRA and visited their office. You can certainly purchase a shooter for less money. But a JRA restoration will have a new commerical barrel, new wood, and been professionally inspected & test-fired. Is that worth the additional cost? That's your call...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reliable!

I have delt with JRA firearms and they are great quality and 100% reliable and safe. Run Away? yeah run and buy one, especially if your wanting a nice shooter. Atleast they are not pretending to be something they aren't.MCORPS1

·
Registered
82 Posts
James River Armory....

Bought a garand from them a few years back. I've not had a hiccup yet. Not to mention they are nice people. I would totally do business with them in the future. If you want an 03 from them and they say it shoots. Rest assured that it is safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw a beautifulJRA Garand at a gun shop. It was very nice. a thing of beauty. I went to thier web site and recall noting that they are particular about restoring guns sent to them for restoration if it will harm the value of the gun.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a Jame's River 1903A3 Springfield CMP rifle and it is not a drill rifle and it shoots 1 " MOA 100yds. First rate finish and fit with new C stock and citerion barrel. One tack driving rifle that feeds smooth. For the money its a good deal better shooter than most shot out military issue barrel 1903A3 rifles that are selling for $800. The citerion barrel alone sells for $200 and they really shoot great. James River is top notch with great products. I have shot a few of there M1 garands and they have been works of art on the range . Allso with great looks and fit of finish. Most match shooters want a rifle that will shoot and if it don,t its just fire wood and a poker.Shot out beat surplus doe's not win match's period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts