M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an LRB M25 with a NM barrel in a JAE Gen III stock with the barrel tensioner. When I first got her her I decided to just shoot and get comfortable. Well, I am comfortable now and want to tune in the barrel tensioner but am not sure how to go about it. I think that I understand the concept, but am looking for advice from those here who have done so. Thanks.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
I'm about to do the same thing.

Directly from Lisa at JAE:

...try shooting it first without making any adjustments to know where the starting point is, then turn 1/8 to 1/4 turn and shoot 3 to 5 shots. Then keep going as long as things are not getting worse. Then once it is set, as long as you are using the same rifle and same ammo, you don't have to mess with it.

Tony.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Howdy,

I have two on NM rifles, had a third but had to pay bills.

You might load up a twenty round magazine, fire five rounds and have a cup of coffee.

When the barrel has cooled down, turn the hex screw an 1/8 of a turn in and do it all over again.

In my case, I would keep turning the screw watching the groups shrink until the groups started to open up.
Then back it off to the last adjustment.

They do make a difference.

I had one on a Scout, it did help the groups.

I just checked the FAQ link on JAE's website, it did not work - you might try later.

Keep yer powder dry,

John

·
Premium Member
20,442 Posts
Using a unitized gas cylinder will be a great help. Make sure to polish the front band area that contacts the tensioner and add grease. With a NM barrel, you will want to adjust the tensioner about 1/2 to 3/4 turn counter clockwise after making contact with the front band. A little less if you are using a heavy.
Makes all the difference in the world. Without the unitized gas cylinder , you will experience fliers.

Semper Fi
ArtB

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for info

Thanks Tony,

Instructions sound simple enough. I have already put a couple hundred rounds through her to get the feel. Plan to get to the range today so will give it a try. I'll report my findings.

Mark

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
RAMMAC told me 3/4 turn gets you close. That's similar to what Art indicates here.

Using a unitized gas cylinder will be a great help. Make sure to polish the front band area that contacts the tensioner and add grease. With a NM barrel, you will want to adjust the tensioner about 1/2 to 3/4 turn counter clockwise after making contact with the front band. A little less if you are using a heavy.
Makes all the difference in the world. Without the unitized gas cylinder , you will experience fliers.

Semper Fi
ArtB

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info

Thanks Art and John for responses.

For the record, my rifle does have a unitized gas cylinder, NM reamed flash suppressor and all the JAE fixings, except for the heel mono pod. Will be shooting Federal Premium 168 grain 308 matchking ammo.

Will post a range report.

M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.