M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Girlfriend and I flipped a coin to decide who got to choose the movie this weekend. I won and we watched Jack Reacher. Considering I almost had to watch The Notebook I was thankful. Although it wouldn't be something I would watch again (like I would do with a favorite) I will say that it was entertaining. Would have like to see more Robert Duvall though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just watched the movie a few days ago, and honestly while I am not a Tom Cruise fan I enjoyed the movie greatly. It was nice to see alot of M14 action, and the Sig 551s as well.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You guys make me laugh.....Just because of that movie my wife asked me what rifle is that and she saw me all giddy when I told her and it turns out she saw that look on my face and had the lovely idea to surprise me with with my first Socom last month. So it just goes to show that even good things can come from total failures.....

Reactions: SRA and hardheaded

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cruise is way too short to play jack reacher. I kept thinking he looked like a midget trying to be a bad ass. I don't see how lee child could have been ok with this choice. Since john Wayne and Clint Eastwood are gone....I'd go with......
I thought the same thing. Tom Cruise is not who I thought of when reading his books.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The audio (gunshot sounds and dinging of the brass on concrete) of firing that M14 platform rifle across the river at the innocent victims was realistically portrayed, I thought. Also, I thought Robert Duvall did a good job as the gun shop owner.

·
Administrator
17,193 Posts
The wife and I just finished watching Jack Reacher and yes, Tom Cruise didn't fit the bill. But the twist and turns throughout the movie and the ending that you didn't see coming. We both think that Lee Child's story line was good...The bounce was to find Robert Duvall playing a part in the movie was helpful. But the crowning part of the movie was the different views of M1A's throughout the movie that made it so much more enjoyable movie to watch. We gave the movie 3 out of 4 *'s.....

DI5

Reactions: Razor

·
Registered
208 Posts
there could have beed a thousand m14s in there and it still doesnt change the fact that they destroyed a 1970 ss chevelle. theyre going to hell for that.
he destroyed more than one. that i know as fact. he wrapped one around a pole leaving the motel in one scene. they had 2 chevelles and had to buy another locally. i know since i got stuck in traffic 8-10 times coming home from work due to their filming.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
there could have beed a thousand m14s in there and it still doesnt change the fact that they destroyed a 1970 ss chevelle. theyre going to hell for that.

Come on Dude?, Generic Motors made a bizillion Malibu's and the movie company painted on some SS stripes so it would look like one, just like in the movie "Faster". At least Tom could bang the gears, unlike the automatic used in "Faster".

I read the book and thought it was a OK read, the movie I kept a open mind and if I hadn't read the book I think Tom Cruse did a pretty good job.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I am not a big Tom Cruise fan ever since Top Gun and he started a fight with Van Kilmer and Val cleaned his clock : knocked him out cold for 20 minutes or so . But I saw the M14 action on the previews and I thought I would see it : just to see some M14 action . But then Cruise announced in the Wake of the school shootings they were going to cut out a lot of the rifle/ violence out of the movie before release .So I haven't seen it . I quess I will wait till its on cable

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cruise is way too short to play jack reacher. I kept thinking he looked like a midget trying to be a bad ass. I don't see how lee child could have been ok with this choice. Since john Wayne and Clint Eastwood are gone....I'd go with......
It was a good movie if you like Cruise (and I have nothing against him) and aren't familiar with the books (which I am).

But let's face it, guys, Lee Childs (not his real name) is an Englishman who knows nothing about the US military, firearms, other weapons, fighting, etc. If you don't believe me, read the first in the series. The books are still entertaining, as long as you set aside reality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anybody who loves their M1a or M14 really needs to see Jack Reacher. The rifle IS the star of the show! Robert Duval plays an old Marine who Jack Reacher (Tom Cruse) has to recruit to help him in a pinch. Totally predictable but like I said, the rifle is the star (and Duval as well).

·
Registered
404 Posts
I guess simple minds like simple things.

I enjoyed the movie. It was entertaining for me.

Then again, Independence Day, Men In Black, Caddyshack, Taken, are all entertaining to me.

Reactions: auger

·
Registered
44 Posts
Read all of the Reacher books and was really psyched when I heard that they were going to make a Reacher movie.
Then was totally turned off when I found out that Tom Cruise was cast as Reacher.
Probably watch it when it hits cable.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I am not a Cruise fan but I watched this movie last night and liked it.The part where Cruise kicks the crap out of 5 local toughs was a little much especially when I remember when Cruise took a punch at Val Kilmer on the Top Gun set and Kilmer TKO'd Cruise with one punch .But I have to keep remembering he is an actor not a Marine.I thought at least once they should have shown that Blonde lawyer without her clothes on ,but nothing is perfect. The M14 scenes were great however and the rifle was the star of the show as far as I was concerned.I like the weathered Cruise much better the the bubble gum chewing pretty boy.besides the shooting the movie did keep me interested (possibly waiting to see that lawyer naked) Duvall was great as usuall; but he called his M14 my "gun" not my rifle or my weapon and a Marine would never do that.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I am not a Cruise fan but I watched this movie last night and liked it.The part where Cruise kicks the crap out of 5 local toughs was a little much especially when I remember when Cruise took a punch at Val Kilmer on the Top Gun set and Kilmer TKO'd Cruise with one punch .But I have to keep remembering he is an actor not a Marine.I thought at least once they should have shown that Blonde lawyer without her clothes on ,but nothing is perfect. The M14 scenes were great however and the rifle was the star of the show as far as I was concerned.I like the weathered Cruise much better the the bubble gum chewing pretty boy.besides the shooting the movie did keep me interested (possibly waiting to see that lawyer naked) Duvall was great as usuall; but he called his M14 my "gun" not my rifle or my weapon and a Marine would never do that.
Did you see in the very beginning of the movie where somebody was reloading ammo on that forster co ax press?
I use that same press for my reloading so it caught my eye.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Ditto to the language in bold.

I saw the movie several weeks ago, primarily because a buddy of mine saw it and he said that after watching the first scene in the movie, all he could think of was me in my basement. GI2 Never read any of the books.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie (and that's not always that easy with me). I thought it was really cool that it was shot primarily in Pittsburgh. (Who would ever shoot a movie in Pittsburgh???) My first time ever in Pittsburgh was only a few months ago, and I recognized a lot of the places.

It would be cool if there were another Reacher movie, but I don't think it did as well as they had wanted at the box office so who knows. However, Hollywood has put out a lot of recent box office flops so maybe there is a chance.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts