M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a long wait for the JAE stock, Jon has sent me an awesome rifle. Initial testing produced some 2 inch groups at 300yards with Fed GMM off a GG&G bipod and a sturdy bench.
My intention with this rifle is to see what kind of long range accuracy I can get out of a chrome lined bbl. ( 500-1k yds). I think there is plenty of accuracy in a modern chrome lined bbl, which will last much longer and is much easier to clean than a stainless match bbl.
I plan on posting results as the experiment unfolds.
(LRB Reciever)

DI5
Artic

·
Premium Member
20,442 Posts
Congratulations. Glad to see another happy M25 owner. I have one very similar except that I am using a Kreiger SS Heavy 1 in 11. Same stock and Bipod. I am also using an Accupoint monopod on the butt. Groups are comparable.
Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Same build here. Got WMMW, got LRB M25, JAE, any day now. Stock was supposed to be Oct/Nov, no complaints, I'm patient. Thanks for the report Artic, looking forward to more. Oh yeah, got GG&G too.

·
Registered
938 Posts
m14 parts and Armory really builds some sweet rifles.....................I can't wait to show off the one JD and Jon built for me recently...........it's being fitted with one more modification, then I will be posting pics.....stay tuned!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, is that with 168gr. or 175 gr. pills?
168gr Fed GMM. I will be hand loading and doing load development with Lapua SC167gr pills, lake city cases, CCI BR primers and IMR 8208.

DI5
Artic

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My rifle is the one featured on Jon's website for the JAE stock. She is much better in person!!

DI5
Artic

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Is your Wolfe barrel 1/10 or 1/11 twist? I ordered my Krieger in 1/10 and am now second guessing the choice. Any opinions on whether the 1/11 is a better twist for best accuracy?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is your Wolfe barrel 1/10 or 1/11 twist? I ordered my Krieger in 1/10 and am now second guessing the choice. Any opinions on whether the 1/11 is a better twist for best accuracy?
I actually talked to Jon yesterday about this. I called to order a new receiver/barrel combo for my EBR and wanted the Medium weight 1/11. Jon told me to go standard weight 1/10 in the EBR because the 1/10 was producing better groups. He's on the lookout for a Criterion Medium weight 1/10 for me, but if he can't find one, I think I'll take his word on it and get the standard. Wouldn't mind losing a pound anyway.

Of course, this is for the EBR where the barrel is locked tight in the chassis, I'm not familar with the JAEs

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Thats reassuring, This is all new for me. On my .308 AR's I've had 1/11.25 and have been happy wih them, and I think Krieger recommends their 1/11 barrels, but from reading the different posts on the forum, I got the impression that many of the members favored the 1/10's so decides to try one, Since I won't have the ability to personally compare the two differnt twists out of the same platform, I'll never know if one is better. (and maybe the difference is so small that once I've developed a load that works in my setup there won't be any measurable difference. Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the Wolfe Modified Medium Weight M14 22" Barrel which is a 1/11 twist.

DI5
Artic

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thats reassuring, This is all new for me. On my .308 AR's I've had 1/11.25 and have been happy wih them, and I think Krieger recommends their 1/11 barrels, but from reading the different posts on the forum, I got the impression that many of the members favored the 1/10's so decides to try one, Since I won't have the ability to personally compare the two differnt twists out of the same platform, I'll never know if one is better. (and maybe the difference is so small that once I've developed a load that works in my setup there won't be any measurable difference. Thanks for the answer.
I forgot to mention what I was talking about an 18.5" barrel, so you might want to throw everything I just said out the window.

·
Registered
398 Posts
From the Jon Wolfe newsletter:

When selecting the right twist rate for your replacement barrel or for a new build, I follow these simple rules of thumb:

Krieger Cut Rifling:
22" SS or CM 1/11 or 1/12
18.5" SS or CM 1/10
Criterion Chrome Lined Button Rifled:
22" CM or SS Medium 1/11
22" CM USGI Profile 1/12
18.5" CM USGI Profile 1/10
18.5" CM Medium 1/10

Shorter barrels need more twist to properly stabilize the projectile. We have found that short barrels perform better when they are 1/10 twist and 22" barrels are better all around performers when they have 1/11 or 1/12 twist rates.

1/10 22" barrels perform better with heavier projectiles but do not shoot ball ammo as accurately as 1/11 and 1/12 twist barrels on average. If you believe you will always shoot match grade ammo or projectiles through your rifle, and never use ball or lighter projectiles, the 1/10 is an excellent choice.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Based on the statement at the bottom of Jon's site, along with the fact that I'm going to have a tight chamber, and plan to handload for this gun, it sounds like I'm going to be OK with the 1/10 twist. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After a long wait for the JAE stock, Jon has sent me an awesome rifle. Initial testing produced some 2 inch groups at 300yards with Fed GMM off a GG&G bipod and a sturdy bench.
My intention with this rifle is to see what kind of long range accuracy I can get out of a chrome lined bbl. ( 500-1k yds). I think there is plenty of accuracy in a modern chrome lined bbl, which will last much longer and is much easier to clean than a stainless match bbl.
I plan on posting results as the experiment unfolds.
(LRB Reciever)

DI5
Artic
I am confused. I talked to Krieger barrels the other day and I was trying to decide which barrel to get for my custom build. We discussed chrome vs stainless steel. The barrel smith told me that Stainless steel is easier to clean but wont last as long as the chrome barrel. It seems that the going thinking is that chrome barrels are easier to clean, but he said that stainless steel was easier to clean.

Regards

·
Banned
951 Posts
Artic...I was picking up my Wolfe build and saw your rifle...Nice. This is the second build I got from Jon...first a LRB with a MC mcmillan stock, second a Fulton barreled action I finished. The shop performs exc work...grest folks to deal with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.